Can a Vegetarian do the Anabolic diet???

Options
Ok so my dilemma is I really want to experiment with the anabolic diet because the diet makes sense with science and reviews from people have mostly been good progress.

My big question is :- Can a vegetarian (I don't eat fish) actually do this diet?? Need some solid information guys, since I personally can't find a way to do this.

For those who dont know what a anabolic diet is:-

The diet was created by Dr. Mauro Di Pasquale as a way to build muscle mass and lose body fat without the use of drugs. His idea for the diet was to change the body's source of fuel, and instead of burning energy from carbohydrates, it would use all of its energy from fat.

To change your body's energy source, you must eat as few carbohydrates as you can and consume a high amount of fat and protein. After the first week of low-carb intake, you may then cycle between low-carb days and high carb days.

Most dieters eat less than 30 grams of carbs a day during the week and then overload on carbohydrates on the weekend. During the week, it is recommended that you eat 55 to 60 percent fat and 30 to 35 percent protein. According to Di Pasquale, if your fat intake dips below 40 percent, the diet will no longer work.

recommended foods:-

During the high fat and protein days, you should fill your diet with chicken, fish, meat, cheese, butter, almonds, peanuts, tofu, diet soda, artificial sweeteners and low-carb vegetables. Dieters should eat five to six small meals a day and consume 18 times your body weight in calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/294066-anabolic-diet-training/

EDIT: a few more web links...

http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/my_experience_on_the_anabolic_diet

&

http://stronglifts.com/anabolic-diet-101-the-definite-anabolic-diet-guide/

Replies

• slumberbug
    slumberbug Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in responses to this since I am a vegetarian as well.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    As a former vegetarian myself, I'm curious how you expect to get enough protein while limiting your carbs? Unless you plan on eating nothing but eggs, some dairy, and whey protein the other forms of vegetarian protein (tofu, beans, etc.) will have far too many carbs.
  • jomo1113
    jomo1113 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you've typed this out correctly, there is no way you can lose weight on this diet. My BMR is about 3500 calories, and according to your numbers (18 times your body weight in calories) I should be consuming 4930 calories per day. This puts me at +1430 per day, and an extra 10010 calories a week. Using simple math, that leads to a weight GAIN of 2.86lbs a week. You can alter your percentages of carbs, fats, proteins, sodium, etc. all you want but if you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. If you want to limit your carbs, and can do it safely, by all means go ahead. But if you honestly think that you should eat 18 times your weight in calories, you will do nothing but gain.

Also, from the webstie you referenced: Because of the low carbohydrate approach, it is not an effective diet for high endurance athletes, nor is it a smart option for vegetarians with few protein sources. The low carb intake and high fat consumption is still questionable and controversial."
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Ok - simply put it's definitely not sustainable for someone your type.
    The Anabolic diet is almost the same as the Ketogenic diet (Ketogenesis activation by low carbo-hydrates intakes) - like you said, you cycle on High fat, high proteins, and low-carbs.
    Now where would you find such intakes ? --> Meats, eggs, heavy cream, fish oil, and fibrous veggies, etc...
    The only way for you to make such diet work would mean ****load of supplements, but even more tons of Letuce.

What is your goal ?
  • ravihira1892
    ravihira1892 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Loose fat and gain muscle at the same time while having a diet in surplus.

I've been reading up on people's progress and they all have upped there diet intake and still managing to loose weight! Which makes sense because of the body using fat as the source of energy.

Just seems like a dead diet for us vegetarians from the looks of it :(. Most my protein is high in carbs but low in fat! Except diary and nuts.
  • ravihira1892
    Options
    BUMP
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The protein density of veggie foods is just really low.

You are going to eat mainly dairy and concentrated proteins (tofu, seitan, greek yogurt)

Don't know how palatable that would be. It's also my understanding that this sort of diet
    is temporary sort of like cutting, and once you go back your body will revert.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    The basic premise of using body fat for fuel instead of carbs is flawed. Regardless of the substrate fuel used it's still comes down to cals in and out. Higher protein in a deficit is a must along with some lifting...other than that and if your trying to build muscle then you got to eat and it's pretty damn tough building muscle while in ketosis.
  • StraightNutrition
    StraightNutrition Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Neanderthin - Agreed. We still can't get around the calories in vs. calories burned rule. The problem with this diet is that you suffer nutrient difficiency. Our bodies need essential nutrients found in all food groups and especially from the carbohydrate group which includes vegetables. So vegetarians, if you think you can do this diet... think again. Vegetarians already suffer deficiencies in the form of B12 and iron which needs to be supplemented or compensated for and can be done by eating iron rich foods like oatmeal and raisins (both carbs) and using brewer's yeast for B12 which your body needs to absord the iron. And let's talk about minerals and fiber. No carbs... no fiber and no minerals. Do you really think that's a good idea? Why don't you just focus on eating whole foods - balanced between your food groups and control the volume in so you can reach your goals?
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Anwser in progress bro :)
  • ravihira1892
    Options

Just read that, thanks Raz bro. ;)

I already eat most of that but just adjust some of the few things due to my indian meals lentils/rice/brown flour/beans etc.

I can easily stick to that sort of diet. just my carbs will be quite high on all days. ( being a vegetarian limits you alot ).

So i guess my answer this topic is NO to the anabolic diet. Ha thanks.