need work out routine

Options
I need help. I've been on the treadmill for a while now and I am ready to move on. I would like to start on the machines at the gym (Planet Fitness) and I don't know how to start. I am getting conflicting information about which muscle groups to work out together. Can anyone help??? Web site???
Thanks

Replies

• tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    I need help. I've been on the treadmill for a while now and I am ready to move on. I would like to start on the machines at the gym (Planet Fitness) and I don't know how to start. I am getting conflicting information about which muscle groups to work out together. Can anyone help??? Web site???
    Thanks
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Honestly, if you can afford even two to three personal fitness coaching sessions you will learn so much. Most people who don't have the basic knowledge of machines and exersice will give up on the gym soon after starting because they will not see results, and this is because they do not know the basics. Do it....get a personal trainer to show you the ropes and if you can afford a few more sessions get them to design a starter plan for you. If you are going to invest in a membership it is worth investing in the knowlwdge, I gaurantee it will start you off right.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can afford even two to three personal fitness coaching sessions you will learn so much. Most people who don't have the basic knowledge of machines and exersice will give up on the gym soon after starting because they will not see results, and this is because they do not know the basics. Do it....get a personal trainer to show you the ropes and if you can afford a few more sessions get them to design a starter plan for you. If you are going to invest in a membership it is worth investing in the knowlwdge, I gaurantee it will start you off right.

This is a SUPER great idea. You don't have to stay with the trainer forever, but a couple sessions will help a ton. Prices range greatly, but I've seen anything from 40-60 bucks for an hour. Some also have packages, so meeting with them for a certain # of times will reduce each visit.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    In addition most gyms will give you an orientation session with a trainer for free. You basically get showed how to use the machines and a starter workout routine. A good gym will also have someone stationed in the fitness areas available to help you use the machines properly.

If you need more than that hire a trainer for a few sessions.
  • alaskagal
    Options
    I'm a member of Planet Fitness in AK. At our gym a personal trainer took me around to each machine and set the proper weights and seat position, etc. for a training routine personalized for me. All the information was recorded on a sheet that I can access each time I workout. Best of all this first session was FREE with my membership.

Best of luck:flowerforyou:
  • tjblack
    tjblack Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll do that!