Fruity Multigrain Muffins

Options
HealthierMamasita
HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
Power-packed muffins are full of good-for-you grains and fruits. For breakfast on the go or a mealtime accompaniment, they’re a sunup-to-sundown treat!

r33965fp.jpg

Makes: 12 muffins

1 1/4 cups Yoplait® Fat Free plain yogurt (from 2-lb container)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened applesauce(less cals & healthier)
2 egg whites
1 1/4 cups Gold Medal® whole wheat flour
3/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit
1/2 cup cooked whole-grain triticale or brown rice

1. Heat oven to 400°F. Grease bottoms only of 12 medium muffin cups, 2 1/2x1 1/4 inches, or line with paper baking cups.

2. Beat yogurt, brown sugar, oil and egg whites in large bowl with spoon. Stir in remaining ingredients except dried fruit and triticale just until flour is moistened. Fold in dried fruit and triticale.

3. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups (cups will be very full). Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from pan.

Special Touch
Sprinkle each muffin with about 1 teaspoon brown sugar before baking, or dip tops of baked muffins in melted butter and sprinkle with granulated or brown sugar.

Did You Know?

Triticale (triht-ih-KAY-lee) is a nutritious hybrid of wheat and rye that offers a sweet, nutty flavor. Find it in health food stores or the organic food section of larger supermarkets.
Variation
Find your favorite fruit or combination of fruits tucked in these muffins! Dried apricots, peaches, apples, cranberries, blueberries, cherries, raisins and figs are great choices.

Nutrition Information:
1 Serving: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 50); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 1g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 180mg; Total Carbohydrate 34g (Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 14g); Protein 6g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8% Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch; 1 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate Choices: 2

Replies

• tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    These look wonderful! I love making homemade muffins. I wonder if there is any thing that can be used in place of vegetable oil? I don't use it all and never have any of it on hand, but the other ingredients are staples! (Wonder if applesauce would do the trick?)
  • HealthierMamasita
    HealthierMamasita Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    These look wonderful! I love making homemade muffins. I wonder if there is any thing that can be used in place of vegetable oil? I don't use it all and never have any of it on hand, but the other ingredients are staples! (Wonder if applesauce would do the trick?)
    Yep, you can definitely use unsweetened applesauce.

~Jo :flowerforyou:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    That sounds absolutely delicious! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to bake some this week :smile: