What is it about climbing stairs....

Options
k8blujay2
k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
... That makes you feel like you just want to die? Ok, so part of wanting to get some exercise at work (as sitting for 9 hours (10 if you include the commute back and forth) and wanting to build my endurance (to run a 5k, I think will be super fun, in November), I have been trying to climb the stairs during my breaks and for part of my lunch. I started out ambitiously and said I would do it for 15 minutes at a time... :laugh: (times infinity) I can barely do it for 5 minutes at a time (am I seriously that out of shape?!)... So I am starting from 5 minutes at a time and going to keep going until I can walk up and down the stairs (I work in a 3 story building) for 15 minutes.... and then try to run up and down them... but seriously, doing this makes want to collapse.

Anybody else have something they do for their health even though it's not particularly fun?

Replies

• ksimpson1978
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I feel your pain!! It's tough but it's SUCH a good work out right? Our stairs are over 3 floors too, I think there are 6/7 flights. I set aside 30 mins for my work out. I do it with another girl at work who's also on MFP. We do our own thing. Depending on how little I can breath, I take frequent breaks.

e.g. I run up and down twice then stop and do 30 crunches until I can breath, a few gulps of water. Run up and down twice again, and 30 squats....up and down again and 30 push-ups.... you get the idea. I just vary the "breaks" so I can keep my heart pumping without collapsing.

Initially I could only go up and down twice but today I was able to go up and down 4 times before taking a "break".

It's a brilliant cardio work out, uses lots of muscles..... KEEP IT UP THE RESULTS ARE WORTH IT.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I H-A-T-E-D it. Pure torture. I wouldn't say I love it now, but I love that I am able to run 3 miles easily without stopping. I'm not terribly fast, mind you, but...
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I can't do steps either without feeling so winded that I feel like I'm going to pass out. Years ago, I bought a stepper -- I couldn't do that either. Probably for me is just giving up because I'm embarrassed that I get so winded (and red in the face). Good luck with yours.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio on the stair climber at the gym. I started working out in Dec with the elliptical but had to stop after a few weeks because higher resistances hurt my left knee a lot. Someone at the gym suggested I give the stair climber a shot, and wow -- in the first two weeks I couldn't manage sessions longer than 20 minutes on Level 3. It took another week before I could go up to Level 4 and climb for 30 minutes.

Since then, I've been steadily increasing the level and duration every other week to keep improving my endurance. Last month I climbed 300 floors in under 90 minutes on Level 6 (it was one of my personal goals). It was VERY HARD. I almost fell off the machine at the end but the endorphin rush after was AMAZING.

I now climb 60 to 80 minutes on Level 8 (averaging 240 floors). My heart is also getting stronger. Climbing stairs can get pretty boring after a while so I set personal goals every month. I have not decided on my next goal yet because I've been focusing more attention on strength training. Maybe 300 floors at Level 10 in under 60 minutes? :tongue:
  • OutiR
    OutiR Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a group of friends who I climb stairs with regularly. We do 40-50 storey buildings so that we walk up, have a short break and come down with lift (easier for joints). Normally we do 5 rounds but I guess record so far is 8 rounds. It's not that bad when you do it with friends, share the torture and chit chat as long as you can. Very effective, burns a lot of calories, shape up the butt, is free and easy! What's not to like??? Yeah, your feet feel heavy, you sweat like a pig and you think you are crazy but if you don't let those minor things bother, it is very much fun. :-) Just keep doing it but try find higher buildings around and utilize them, then it might be nicer.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    This is actually my favourite routine! Granted I can only last for about 16 minutes and do 40 flights but I aim to get up to 72 flights (the number comes from the excess baggage tv show as I figure if they can do that then I have to). I love that I can just change and do this at lunch without having to get to a gym or pay for a membership.

My building has 8 flights and I've started trying to change it up a bit since I'm a little stuck at 40 flights right now. I've brought in a matt to work and am now also doing a routine where after 8 flights I do something like push ups, mountain climbers, wall squats, bicycles.... You get the idea then 100 skips (brought in the rope too) and then back into the stairs. I actually need to think of more things to do in between so any suggestions would be great.

People look at me like I'm crazing saying I can only do 15-20 mins but it is hard and I have to start somewhere (I always tell them to join me to give it a go). Oh and it is always weird when someone opens the door nearly on you and gets such a scare. I have found roping in my team at work to make it more fun and more encouraging. And I time myself each set and try to beat it. I find it hard but at the same time I feel so good afterward.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! As much as I've accomplished physically in the last two years, it seems like walking up stairs is still a huge challenge... I know it's gotten much better though because I remember before I could barely do two floors without having to stop and catch my breath and feeling like I was going to die. Now I can quickly climb 3 to 5 floors and am winded but not bad.

By the way, even the most fit people at the gym I go to call the stairstepper and stairmill the torture machines. They are tough!
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Geez, I thought I was nuts but this is one of my main sources of cardio. I'm 60 and had both knees replaced 2 years ago and gained about 30 lbs with each knee so I was looking for a cardio exercise that would get my heart rate up without jumping or running. The steps are what works best for me. I was shocked when I found out I could take two at a time, also vary it by going sideways up and down doing sideways squats with each step or I take two steps up and one step down and two steps up and one step down to mix it up. When I added wall pushups when I was trying to catch my breath one day I really felt like if anyone catches me they will think I'm nuts. We have a number of emergency exit stairwells in our building and I have 7 floors to work with if I start in the lower garage. Typically I will head to one of the less used emergency exits so I don't have traffic from other people walking up and down. Still run into the occasional walker but typically if they are in one of the industrial stair wells they too will be doing 2 steps at a time or running for the exercise. Thx for posting this because now I don’t feel like a crazy old lady. BTW my goal is to walk the full 7 floors and walk out of the stairwell breathing evenly. So many young people that look reasonably fit will take the stairs for exercise and be gasping so hard you feel like you need to get them a chair when they get to the top. I’m almost there.

Also, I don't usually time myself. I just try to get away from my desk 3 - 4 times a day and take a walk down and back up, my goal right now is 7 times aday.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    ... That makes you feel like you just want to die? Ok, so part of wanting to get some exercise at work (as sitting for 9 hours (10 if you include the commute back and forth) and wanting to build my endurance (to run a 5k, I think will be super fun, in November), I have been trying to climb the stairs during my breaks and for part of my lunch. I started out ambitiously and said I would do it for 15 minutes at a time... :laugh: (times infinity) I can barely do it for 5 minutes at a time (am I seriously that out of shape?!)... So I am starting from 5 minutes at a time and going to keep going until I can walk up and down the stairs (I work in a 3 story building) for 15 minutes.... and then try to run up and down them... but seriously, doing this makes want to collapse.

Anybody else have something they do for their health even though it's not particularly fun?

it'll get better over time. I struggled with stairs too but I am alot better now than 2 years ago.
    I never took to weight lifting. I find it tedious and boring but I do it.
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I can walk & jog with no problem but the stairs wind me so bad! The stairs also really bother my knees, I really wish I could do them!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Even people who can run for miles have issues with stairs because it is so much harder to actually move your body vertically.

I walk outside on my lunch break most days but I run the stairs when the weather is bad. I take a break and do wall push-ups, or do slow lunches by taking 2 steps at a time.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I give myself "building" goals on the stair machine at my gym. I pick a building and try to get to the top in less and less time, obviously, you have to do it the first time just to see how long it takes. Then you build your workout time around beating yourself to the top. You may have to combine two or three buildings to get your full workout time in.

Example:

Chrysler Building - 77 stories
    Eiffel Tower - 81 stories
    Petronas Towers - 88 stories
    Empire State building - 102 stories
    Taipei 101 - 101 stories
    Burj Khalifa - 163 stories

JM
  • ksimpson1978
    Options
    Check this out for some inspiration: http://www.stairclimbingsport.com/weight-loss-and-longevity/

Jon Blackburn lost 66kg in a year...

I'm quite fortunate as the stairs we use are fire escape ones (not sure of the HSE stand on that :happy: ) and seperate from the public ones ....so we use a mat, shake weight...anything we can get our grubby hands on.

Keep breathing and drinking!! :drinker:

It's great to get the exercise done at luncthime too.

Anything you squeeze in in the evening is just a bonus.
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    I give myself "building" goals on the stair machine at my gym. I pick a building and try to get to the top in less and less time, obviously, you have to do it the first time just to see how long it takes. Then you build your workout time around beating yourself to the top. You may have to combine two or three buildings to get your full workout time in.

Example:

Chrysler Building - 77 stories
    Eiffel Tower - 81 stories
    Petronas Towers - 88 stories
    Empire State building - 102 stories
    Taipei 101 - 101 stories
    Burj Khalifa - 163 stories

JM

Thanks for these - something to aim for and to check each building off the list. The 72 flights I am aiming for is actually the height of the q1 on the Gold Coast.

Oh and I do this in the emergency stair well but a funny thing is happening now - people are using it all the time to get between floors. :wink:

Now why can't all stairs be like this:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw&v=2lXh2n0aPyw&gl=AU
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think inner curse more on the stairmaster than i do during my sprint intervals.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Actually climbing stairs is a lot of work. It feels difficult because it IS difficult. People seem so surprised at how much effort it takes, but you are hauling your body weight.

The standard riser (vertical height) is 7.75"; standard tread depth is 11". That makes the incline for a stairway about a 70% grade. Pretty tough.

The energy cost of climbing a standard set of stairs at 30 steps per minute (pretty slow--that's 2 sec per step) is almost 7 METs, which is somewhat less than jogging at 5 mph. Considering most people walk up at a pace probably twice that fast, it gives you an idea of the exertion involved.

Not to mention the fact that walking up steps puts the load primarily on your quads. If your quads are not specifically trained in this movement, they do not have the endurance to maintain the activity and localized muscle fatigue becomes a factor (similar to cycling if you haven't done that before).

So don't think that you are weak or that there is something wrong with you if you struggle at first going up stairs. A low-fit or unfit person will struggle with the intensity and even a moderately fit person will lack the specific muscle endurance at first.

If you want to do stairs as an exercise, start with a slow pace--2 seconds per step: Step..two; Step....two, etc.

Or just do a stepmill and try not to hold on much.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have just one flight at work but I try to do them as much as possible. Plus I live in a hilly city so I get 8-10 flights from most of my doggie walks.

I am hoping to go back to Universal Studios tour where there are 345 steps up and down between the levels there. You can take the escalator if you want but I want to do them again when I go to LA in May!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I do stairs at my work every time I go to the restroom. Luckily not too many other people use the stairwells I do because I am usually breathing pretty heavy at the top!

If nothing else the view at the top is a heck of a lot better than at my desk where I can't even see out a window!
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I do stairs as well. 5 sets from 1st to 5th. It's a hell of a work out, lifting 280lbs with every step. But it's a dull stair well, with a locked door at the top.

My goal is in 1 year to climb the Calgary tower on Earth Day weekend.
  • missamerika87
    Options
    I like using the stairmill for my cardio days. I'm drenched in sweat by the time I'm done! Such a good feeling! I would do about 40-50 minutes anywhere from level 6-8 (warmup) to 10-14 (workout). I'd switch it up too and do something like skipping steps, kicking my leg backward (realllly targets the glutes!) tip toe run, calf raise walk(anywhere from 5-10 minutes), and lately I've been ending with 10 minutes of walking backwards up the stairmill. (Kinda freaky! Definitely clutching the sides, but it's a good workout haha)