Help! Self Sabotage

Options
I have a really good idea of how many calories I need to lose weight, and how much I burn in different activities, but somehow even though I plan out what should be a perfectly balanced day, I never follow through. I deviate from the plan, and I'm not even hungry. I've gotten so used to just eating what I want when I want and now I'm having a really hard time with discipline and self control. Any advice or tips? I'm really getting desperate here.

Replies

• Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit like that too, but I find logging my calories before I eat them makes a difference for me! Sometimes it makes me chnage my mind about eating anything lol!
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have a really good idea of how many calories I need to lose weight, and how much I burn in different activities, but somehow even though I plan out what should be a perfectly balanced day, I never follow through. I deviate from the plan, and I'm not even hungry. I've gotten so used to just eating what I want when I want and now I'm having a really hard time with discipline and self control. Any advice or tips? I'm really getting desperate here.

When I post here I assume most people have myFitnessPal on their smartphone or tablet. Due to your post I assume you aren't logging what you are eating. Are you?

I know while using the app on your smartphone or tablet you are asked a number of questions regarding your current weight, how much weight you wish to lose per week, and how much exercise if I recall. My assumption is using the web based myFitnessPal website you aren't asked any of these questions? I only say this because you mentioned you have a PRETTY good idea of how many calories you need to eat.

If you are having a problem with discipline and self control don't fret that's ESPECIALLY normal, it happens if you are new or if you are very experienced. For me to help with my discipline I have a poster of Lou Ferrigno in my office (the original Hulk) during his body building days before the TV show. For self control I always assure I have a breakfast of oatmeal, fruit, and milk. That kick starts my day so I won't crave in the morning before lunch. For in between meals I'll snack on fruit and some type of protein rich snack or Fiber ONE bar if I'm feeling the SWEET attack.

Put a picture up of something or someone that motivates or inspires you. It has to be in a place where you see it everyday. Most of all DO NOT look at your favorite indulgences as something you MUST stay away from. Have either a day in which you can have whatever you want in NORMAL portion size or have it whenever you desire in NORMAL portion size. For example 1 Donut instead of 3 or 6 is SOMEWHAT okay if your workouts are intense. Once your discipline and self control kick into high gear you WILL NO LONGER DESIRE YOUR CHEAT DAY. :happy:

It just takes 21 days of doing something straight for it to become a habit :bigsmile:
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas! I like the idea of a poster for motivation (for me it will probably one of the pro runners) to remember why I'm doing this. I do log what I eat, but the problem is, I log it beforehand, and then when the time comes I eat what I logged for the day and then go back for more. Although I care a lot 99% of the time, it's completely not caring for those ten minutes that gets me every time.
  • xcrunnergirl13
    xcrunnergirl13 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your ideas! I like the idea of a poster for motivation (for me it will probably one of the pro runners) to remember why I'm doing this. I do log what I eat, but the problem is, I log it beforehand, and then when the time comes I eat what I logged for the day and then go back for more. Although I care a lot 99% of the time, it's completely not caring for those ten minutes that gets me every time.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Is it possible to only cook what you're planning on eating, or to put the rest in the freezer instantly?
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Hmmmmmm... that's an interesting way of logging what you eat. Personally for me I log after I've eaten the meal. For my discipline and motivation it helps me stay on track
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I'm an "instant gratification" eater myself. Some tips that may help:

1. Keep the food away from you, out of reach, or make it so you need to make some sort of effort to get to it. The suggestion to immediately freeze any remaining food is a good one. Or, just make enough for the one serving.

2. Brush your teeth immediately after your first serving.

3. Tell yourself you can have that extra serving...in ten minutes. Wait ten minutes, the craving will generally go away.

4. Have a cup of tea ready, and sip that instead.

5. Have a craft or project next to you. I knit--it's hard to eat when you have something going on with your hands. A Sudoku puzzle; knitting/crochet; journal-writing; a book. Have something that you can turn to immediately after eating your first serving may help distract you.

Hope that helps. I need to follow my own advice, actually!
  • Balance27
    Balance27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I log meals as I eat them. I think this helps because I am constantly checking my calories and what I can eat. If I think something is going to give me too many calories, I delete it and go for something else.

This also helped me when I was really craving some chocolate one time. I didn't feel like looking it up and logging it so I didn't eat it. After a while the craving went away.