Skechers Shape-Ups ...lame?

Options
I stopped wearing my Skechers Shape-Ups because I feel totally lame in them now. I feel like they're stigma'd, like Crocs or something. Big bulky not-so-attractive things that don't really work. Moon Shoes.

I can totally understand people wearing them at work if you're on your feet a lot. I see nurses, etc wear them all the time, because of the extra padding, so it's not so much aimed at them, but as far as serious fitness people and those at the gym, I never, ever see them. I wore mine a few times and now I can't do it anymore. Haha.

I think if they came out with a thinner, less bulky version, it would probably work better (in fact, I think they did) but... what do you think? :P

These are my ROCKIN' SHAPE UPS ... from last year

http://girlgetstrong.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/shape-ups.jpg

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    My mom has them in every style and color and I will admit they feel great, but I feel SO wack when I put hers on.

P.S. My mom is the one walking around the park with knee socks and Shape-Ups on... and a Shake Weight in each hand. :noway: :huh:

Keep them in the closet and grab some Nikes.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My mom has them in every style and color and I will admit they feel great, but I feel SO wack when I put hers on.

P.S. My mom is the one walking around the park with knee socks and Shape-Ups on... and a Shake Weight in each hand. :noway: :huh:

Keep them in the closet and grab some Nikes.

LOL, "No matter how slow you go, just remember you're lapping everyone on the couch, even though you look like you've been watching too many advertisements on TV (shakeweight, shape-ups)"
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    They're sooo comfortable but yeah, I'm too ashamed to wear them now lol

And they hurt my back if I have to walk for really long periods of time.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    They don't do anything for you in terms of "shaping up", and they are ugly. Why wear ugly shoes if you don't have to?
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    shape ups are the new moon boot
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I stopped wearing my Skechers Shape-Ups because I feel totally lame in them now. I feel like they're stigma'd, like Crocs or something.
    Are you saying Crocs aren't cool?
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I saw Tom Cruise wear them- I knew they had to go.
  • dawnagetsfit
    Options
    I have Skechers Tone Ups - http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Tone-Ups-Sport-Charcoal/dp/B003N4UE74/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1332369082&sr=8-8

MOST COMFORTABLE WALKING SHOES EVER and they look like normal sneakers.

I tried on at least 15 pairs of walking and running shoes (not shape/tone ups) at the store and none of them felt as good as these.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    They don't do anything for you in terms of "shaping up", and they are ugly. Why wear ugly shoes if you don't have to?
    yes they are ugly but I have not ever worn a pair of shoes as comfortable for work.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    New Balance makes them w/o the weird looking heel. I accidentally bought a pair because I liked the color and they look no different than regular running shoes.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love my Shape-Ups. Big bulky shoes like that are exactly the kind I like, and when they're coupled with absolute, unbeatable comfort I'm a happy girl!

I know they're not considered stylish, but I'm about as far from stylish as they come.

So far, they're the only shoes I wear, though I'm awaiting the delivery of some proper running shoes. The Shape-Ups shall remain on my feet for walking, cycling and general wear.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Delete
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I wear my Crocs every single day. I don't care how lame I look in them, they are the most comfy general wear shoes for me.

As for my Shape-Ups, I wore them once on a long walk, and fell on my face several times. Ended up finishing the walk barefoot, because I simply could not keep my balance in them
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    , but as far as serious fitness people and those at the gym, I never, ever see them. I wore mine a few times and now I can't do it anymore. Haha.

have you ever worn shapeups? you are never supposed to wear them at the gym - you would fall on your face every minute. that's a crazy idea.

I have toneups, they're quite comfortable for everything but running, and they are very thin and light.
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try the New Balance toning shoes.. seriously the most comfortable pair of sneakers I've ever had and they look awesome. I get compliments on them all the time.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    For cardiovascular / aerobic exercises they are the best and most comfortable shoes in my opinion, specially running or walking.

They do affect my balance when lifting weights though, which is really disturbing and doesn't let me do my best.

So to me it only matters what you're wearing them for (no social events, just NO). :)
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I wear my Crocs every single day. I don't care how lame I look in them, they are the most comfy general wear shoes for me.

As for my Shape-Ups, I wore them once on a long walk, and fell on my face several times. Ended up finishing the walk barefoot, because I simply could not keep my balance in them

I'm a cna and I wear the shoes for crews shapeups. It's all lollipops and gumdrops now, but when I first got them I would just be standing and all of a sudden tip forward, constantly trip, and ate it tearing up and down the stairs many a time.

Now here's a rather cute pair of shapeups. Still got the shapeup funky sole, but still...
    71be5671.jpg
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I used to swear by these shoes & even "forced" my husband to get a pair.
    I ended up having arch replacement surgery last June. Both my orthopedist & the surgeon said it was from these shoes.
    My husband ended up with Plantar fasciitis & his orthopedist said that was because of these shoes as well.
    I refused to try & sell them at our garage sale & decided to give both pairs to our dog as chew toys.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I wore shape ups a year or so ago because when I had my knee dislocate in late 2010 I was told a shoe with a thick sole was best to take pressure off so I could walk without using crutches or a cane. When I had them, at first I was alright (and glad for the height change, 5'2" is depressing) and when my knee healed as best as it was going to I started exercising in them, which at the time was just a lot of walking at varied paces, and all of a sudden I couldn't walk again. My knee was killing me all of the time and my distance had been cut in half because of it. I bought some regular walking shoes for a job and noticed my knee was fine in them, but not in the shape ups.

Eventually I tossed the things.

Oh and I'm guilty of wearing crocs. I went through a "I don't give a flying monkey's *kitten* what I look like" phase my last two years of highschool (I had a mental breakdown, had lost a cat I'd had for 16 years, and basically was floating through life) and crocs were cheap at certain places and my last high school didn't have a rule against them. I haaaated the lack of traction though. One morning I was going up a smooth concrete ramp outside at school after it had rained all night and I slipped right into a mud puddle. I went through most of the day with wet pants because I had scrubbed the mud off in the bathroom and soaked my pants as a result.