My Dog's Food is Paleo :O

Options
badgerbadger1
badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
Actually, so is my cats' food. Now I have a problem. The problem is twofold:

1) Does this mean the f*ckers are going to outlive me now? I eat lots of carbs, I'm concerned that they may outlive me and will have no one to take care of when I die of sugar overdose. What should I do about this?

2) The ingredients are outstanding! Should I just convert to a dog food diet to free myself from carb hell? Seems pretty easy, 4 cups of this stuff should get me the 800 cals I need for the day, AND I can be paleo.

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Is it Merrick? I'm totally jealous of my dog's Merrick.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i feed the little monsters innova, but i'm always looking for something better.. whatcha feeding them?
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    If you die of a sugar/carb overdose in the house your pets will eat your body. I suggest you eat them first. That will solve all your problems and add more protein to your diet.:flowerforyou:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    your only hope to shorten the length of time they are alive is.... pink slime.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have no counter point against you OP, so I'm going to resort to personal attacks.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I have no counter point against you OP, so I'm going to resort to personal attacks.

I have no counter argument either, so I am resorting to fart jokes.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    200 calories per cup? Are you sure? Mine are on a grain free that comes from Costco. Natures Domain, it's a good food. Every other night they get a raw chicken leg quarter. They eat better than me!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    i feed the little monsters innova, but i'm always looking for something better.. whatcha feeding them?

I feed them Orijen http://orijen.ca/
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Not to derail the fun, but does Paleo actually work for both obligate carnivores and opportunistic omnivores?

EDIT: our pooch gets avoderm lamb and rice while the jerk..err..cat gets royal canin light.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thats bullsh!t about zero grain being in a dogs diet naturally. Dogs eat the stomachs and intestines of their kills in the wild and a lot of what they kill eat grains. Therefore they eat grains. Period.

I've been home cooking for my 2 Great Pyrenees for over 7years. They eat grains. They are over cooked and then processed to mimic what they would find in the digestive system of a kill. Same thing with fruits and veggies.

They do not need more than 40% protein. In fact, more than that is detrimental to their liver, kidneys and heart.

I work with a holistic vet and my personal vet on my dogs diet, both approve. I work with several animal non profits and have researched EXTENSIVELY on this subject.

90% of commercial dog food is crap, and that lack of grain thing... well it's just false.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My dogs are on a grain free food, but they get grains from the foods we feed them. I don't think it's all bull****, you can think what you'd like. I am very educated on what my dogs eat and what is good for them. If I could afford to feed them raw all the time, I would. You lose nutrients when you cook their food. There is a fine balance of nutrients that dogs need when you feed them and commercial kibble meets those needs, minimally. Cooking their food also removes some of those nutrients. So you keep cooking your dogs' food and I'll keep feeding my dogs what I know works for them.

Oh, and how many dogs are hunting for their food now days? They aren't eating the stomachs and contents of the animals they kill because they aren't hunting for their food any more. Dogs are dogs, not wolves.
  • snowhunny
    Options
    @ Maf66: In the interest of my own dog's health, I would like some links to this belief you have. Thank you.
  • MoogieOh
    MoogieOh Posts: 141
    Options
    If you die of a sugar/carb overdose in the house your pets will eat your body. I suggest you eat them first. That will solve all your problems and add more protein to your diet.:flowerforyou:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I saw a show about weird addictions recently where a woman lived only on kitty treats (not the actual food, but the treats, which apparently contain some "unfit for human" byproducts). Now that you mention it, she was pretty slender. (....making shopping list to include 417 bags of "Happy Kitty" salmon flavor...)
  • bellanena
    bellanena Posts: 74
    Options
    I own a Pet Treat business and feeding your dog a grain free diet may be the positive change they are seeking. A grain free, low carbohydrate diet is often the best option to ensure overall health and wellness for your dog.

The grains that are used to make many of the commercial pet foods and pet treats can have harmful affects on your pet, and a lot of food allergies have been linked to one grain or another. If your pet suffers from food allergies, then feeding them a grain free diet is a great way to help eliminate their allergy symptoms.

There are some dogs who do absolutely find with Grains, but dogs should naturally eat a low carb diet, they can be very prone to diabetes.

My dogs eat Taste of the Wild and they do awesome on it! Sometimes they eat better than we do :tongue:
  • bellanena
    bellanena Posts: 74
    Options
    Dogs do not eat the intestines of their kill in the wild. This is what is considered by products. They eat what has the protein in it. Heart, Liver, Muscle. End of story
  • HealthyHappy120
    Options
    What brand do you think is best? I was leaning torwards Acana Or Merrick
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My dogs are on a grain free food, but they get grains from the foods we feed them. I don't think it's all bull****, you can think what you'd like. I am very educated on what my dogs eat and what is good for them. If I could afford to feed them raw all the time, I would. You lose nutrients when you cook their food. There is a fine balance of nutrients that dogs need when you feed them and commercial kibble meets those needs, minimally. Cooking their food also removes some of those nutrients. So you keep cooking your dogs' food and I'll keep feeding my dogs what I know works for them.

Oh, and how many dogs are hunting for their food now days? They aren't eating the stomachs and contents of the animals they kill because they aren't hunting for their food any more. Dogs are dogs, not wolves.

All of the meat in my dogs diet is raw. All grains and veggies are cooked. A dogs digestive system is not set up to process raw grains or veggies.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    Actually, so is my cats' food. Now I have a problem. The problem is twofold:

1) Does this mean the f*ckers are going to outlive me now? I eat lots of carbs, I'm concerned that they may outlive me and will have no one to take care of when I die of sugar overdose. What should I do about this?

2) The ingredients are outstanding! Should I just convert to a dog food diet to free myself from carb hell? Seems pretty easy, 4 cups of this stuff should get me the 800 cals I need for the day, AND I can be paleo.

Yep, I would definitely worry about them eating your body when you collapse from sugar OD.