Shin Splints

Options
sinisme
sinisme Posts: 148 Member
How do you get them to go away?? I rested for about a month.. and it still bothers me. I want to get back to jogging 3 miles a day like i used to... ever since i stopped jogging ive gained weight! gah!!! :sad:

Replies

• msmichael
    msmichael Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to get them all the time too. I work in a medical office and one of the PA's advised that I wasn't stretching enough before hand. But to help with the current pain she suggested to ice the area then do a stretch - take a huge rubber band and hook it on a coffee table leg and put your foot on the other end where you are getting resistence if you bring your toes toward you. Then do about 20 three times a day. Hope that helps:wink:

172964.png
  • msmichael
    msmichael Posts: 21
    Options
    P.S. I ran my first 5K yesterday and it felt GREAT!!!!:bigsmile: WOOHOO!!

172964.png
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I only get them if I do not warm up enough before I walk. I also have to have the right shoes or I get them. Hope this helps.
  • Faithopeloves
    Faithopeloves Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I used to run cross-country in college, and our coach had us run through the grass, barefoot, on the balls of our feet, maybe 100 yards, backwards and forwards. He would have us do this after a workout. Try checking runnersworld.com, they have great resources for runners!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    you may need orthotics too, shin splints are common with people with flat feet or bad gaits. See a podiatrist for a work up. :-D
  • becky_boulders
    Options
    i have a collasped arch so I used to get them really bad, the best thing is get new shoes. And stretch your legs more. the best stretch that helped me was one where you put your heal to the ground, toes facing up, hands on hips and gently shift back into a semi sitting postiton. another one that my coach told me it to tape my calfs. maybe about 3 inches up from the ankle just put a ring of medical tape around your leg and that apparently prevents the calf muscle from pulling so much. good luck, and remember cold for joints, heat for muscles
  • BxMom
    BxMom Posts: 363
    Options
    What also works is tapping your foot -- do 3 sets of 10 to start and build up. Do them along with the other recommendations like stretching and resistance exercise and that should take care of the problem in time.
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I already bought new shoes and i stretch before going jogging, but I guess i should spend more time doing it. I bought one of those braces for the shin splints they sell at Academy, it helps a little bit. If all else fails and it continues I'll probably just go see a doctor.