how much veggies?

If my salad is 3 cups of mixed veggies (lettuce, cukes, radishes, broccolli, carrots, tomatoes), is this enough veggies for day?

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    There is no really a fixed state for this. One nice place per day is enough imho.
    Aim at least 50 gram per day, you can ever hit 800 grams if you like them - the qualities vegies have go way over the caloric value they have.
    I find myself very satisfied by 250 grams per day. I tried several times 700 grams, and it doesn't really brought anything but water retention.
    :-)
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    There is no really a fixed state for this. One nice place per day is enough imho.
    Aim at least 50 gram per day, you can ever hit 800 grams if you like them - the qualities vegies have go way over the caloric value they have.
    I find myself very satisfied by 250 grams per day. I tried several times 700 grams, and it doesn't really brought anything but water retention.
    Thanks, but how does this relate to cups? Cup is volume, grams are weight.
  • mjn18
    mjn18 Posts: 74 Member
    I have a hunch that what you listed is well over 50 grams. Cucumbers and tomatoes are heavy. I recently bought a food scale (for ten bucks at WalMart) because I was more interested in exact measurements. I find that using it has really given me a more accurate picture of what I am eating and it is infinitely easier to use than cups and measuring spoons. Many of the foods in the MFP data base are listed in grams and all food packaging labels in grams.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    1 cup is usually 125 grams ; two cups seem good.
    But two cups of Letuce would mean hella lettuce, when it comes to carrots, one middle carrot would weight that same weight. (1 cup)

One correct plate would be :
    1 or 2 carrots, (125-200 grams)
    5-7 leafs of Letuce (40 grams)
    1 tomato (120 grams)

• chattipatty2
    I have a hunch that what you listed is well over 50 grams. Cucumbers and tomatoes are heavy. I recently bought a food scale (for ten bucks at WalMart) because I was more interested in exact measurements. I find that using it has really given me a more accurate picture of what I am eating and it is infinitely easier to use than cups and measuring spoons. Many of the foods in the MFP data base are listed in grams and all food packaging labels in grams.

LOL, why didn't I think to weigh my salad first??? But I did look up and found that
    The Food Pyramid suggests 3 to 5 servings of vegetables each day. One serving of vegetables can be:
    1 cup of raw leafy vegetables
    1/2 cup of other vegetables, cooked or raw
    3/4 cup of vegetable juice

So thank you! I think my salad more than covered it!! It's just that I get nervous if Im not eating a salad for lunch then cooked veggies for supper, but my salads are usually packed with veggies. I'll just have to weigh my typical salad someday for exact measure!!!
    Thanks everyone....Now off to fruits. LOL
  • chattipatty2
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    If my salad is 3 cups of mixed veggies (lettuce, cukes, radishes, broccolli, carrots, tomatoes), is this enough veggies for day?

We all need to eat more fruits and Veggies but we don't do it on an average we are to eat 7 servings a day of fruits and veggies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    You can't really go wrong if you base the majority of your meals on veggies.

Trying to make this an "exact" science will only frustrate you . Just eat enough veggies that you stay full, eat enough protein and fat to fill your recommended minimums, and the rest is veggies and fruit. So, 3/4 of your plate should be veggies. Have 3 oz of meat or two eggs once or twice a day, and eat some nuts and healthy fats every day. Ta Da.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    You can't really go wrong if you base the majority of your meals on veggies.

Trying to make this an "exact" science will only frustrate you . Just eat enough veggies that you stay full, eat enough protein and fat to fill your recommended minimums, and the rest is veggies and fruit. So, 3/4 of your plate should be veggies. Have 3 oz of meat or two eggs once or twice a day, and eat some nuts and healthy fats every day. Ta Da.

I don't know if I could stuff enough veggies down me to fill my calorie quota eating that way. I don't eat enough veggies, sometimes it's due to prep time. I love them though, and when I make a dinner I make a huge pile of veggies to go with it and eat those first.