Guesswork?

Options
I'm not much of a poster on the forums, but wondered how people deal with days where they CAN'T accurately record their intake. I've been at a function this evening for work. A couple of glasses of bubbly is fairly easily recorded, but a canapé here and there, and then a couple more, and a couple more, is difficult to track. I end up trying to find equivalent stuff on the database (like a supermarket ready meal version of similar stuff) then adding bits of that, just so I've recorded something. I figure that's better than nothing, for the days where you can't keep track properly. What do others do (if you can't avoid the situations)? Is it worth bothering?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I do what you do - I find a version already on the database, and log that.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about logging it any more. I used to, but it is so tedious, and I figured I probably didn't get it right most of the time anyway. After a while you get a feel for this.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Scan the bar code and measure.

If you can't get it perfect, get the next best thing.

Err on the side of caution.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    If I can find something similar in the database, I'll log that. But if we go to a really nice restaurant and there is just NOTHING even close in the database, I'll just log the calories in a chunk. Like the last time we went to our favorite restaurant I had wine with dinner and their jalapeno hush puppies before dinner, then seafood pasta in a peppercorn sauce for dinner and Mississippi Mud for dessert. I logged that meal as 1500 or 1800...something like that. I figure it's only once and it's okay as long as I log something.
  • veto1024
    veto1024 Posts: 20
    Options
    I do what you do and just guess. The rare occasions where you'll be at a loss for what you're eating won't do much to affect your overall goals. That's also why i tend to over-estimate calories eaten and underestimate the exercises I do so that I have a bit of a cushion for times like that. I figure when I don't have any info, I'll probably end up overestimating the calories (I read a good study that shows people consistently overestimate calories no matter who you are).