Weight lifting questions

I'm getting back into weight lifting - haven't seriously done so since varsity soccer in high school. I have two questions.

1. How much swelling is "normal"?
I did my heavy leg day on Monday, and the super soreness hasn't hit until today. My legs are swollen and painful. According to the scale I've "gained" 3-4 lbs (I know this isn't true gain, just to show the amount of swelling/water retention occurring) and I can barely fit into my jeans. Is all of this normal for someone who has been lifting for almost a month? How long until this stops happening, or what can I do to prevent it?

2. Bulky legs - should I still weight lift?
My whole family is stocky. We easily gain muscles on our legs. Everyone is "pear-shaped" - even my brother, a cyclist, just because of the amount of muscle in his legs. So should I stick with weight lifting, or switch to something else? Only 1 leg day? More cardio? Resistance bands & bodyweight exercises? Or am I just doomed by genetics.

Thanks!

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    You probably shouldn't have more than 1 leg day a week anyways, but there's really nothing you can do about genetics. And really, you don't have "bulky legs" so keep doing squats.
  • perenial52
    perenial52 Posts: 14 Member
    HI LITTLEBLUE, I lift weights also have for 20 years I am 5 ft tall and the trick is to alternate daily your weight lifting from top to bottom do lower weights one day and upper weights another day and include bike riding stationary or other also floor exercises working your legs then another day upper exercises this forms your torso and will tighten your muscles and you will gain weight but your clothes should fit better.any questions please respond sharon
  • cyncetastic
    cyncetastic Posts: 165
    1. Swelling in the beginning is completely normal and will subside over time as your body adjusts to these new exercises. Drink a lot of water, stretch/use foam roller, and take a walk!

2. Yes - definitely still train legs! I have be blessed with larger quads naturally too - embrace it!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    WAIT A SEC.. you were blessed with legs that have the potential to look like Tina Turner's and you don't want to train the hell out of them?

/cry
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I have big legs too. Definitely pear shape. I do whole body lifts. Work with what you've got. My muscular shoulders help balance out my hips but I'd never NOT lift legs. I love lifting legs. Deadlifting 180lbs is awesome.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    your legs look far from bulky.. at least from the pictures *_* ... but yea.. keep doing heavy leg days. and i would stick to 2 times or every 4-5th day. the water retention will go away when your body adjusts to everything.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Rae is my hero

If you aren't taking hormones and supplements, you will only EVER look better from lifting. I squat 3 days a week. Moderate swelling is common when you are still getting started.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    a protein shake after you lift weights really really helps with the soreness. i've been lifting for nearly 2 months now, and a 150 calorie shake for me has 21g of protein and tastes like ice cream. highly recommend.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    your legs look far from bulky.. at least from the pictures *_* ..

This. For sure.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    The pain/soreness/swelling will reduce once your body gets used to it.
  • littlebluej
    littlebluej Posts: 102 Member
    Thanks for all of your replies. I guess my body will just have to get used to it. My current routine is lifting 4x per week (2 upper, 2 lower). Other days are cardio (2) and rest. I love lifting and definitely not going to stop, I was just wondering if I should change my routine due to my... stature? And yea... I know my picture doesn't have "bulky" legs but I guess that's just how I've always seen them? I'm trying to put on some muscle so I guess I'm just worried about looking more stocky in doing so.

After I work out I have a protein shake (~25g protein) and with it 5g of l-glutamine, as I read it's supposed to help with recovery. Not sure if it's actually doing anything though. The pain/swelling is kind of embarrassing (such as limping) and also makes me feel upset when clothes aren't fitting right even though they did the day before.
  • tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Thanks for all of your replies. I guess my body will just have to get used to it. My current routine is lifting 4x per week (2 upper, 2 lower). Other days are cardio (2) and rest. I love lifting and definitely not going to stop, I was just wondering if I should change my routine due to my... stature? And yea... I know my picture doesn't have "bulky" legs but I guess that's just how I've always seen them? I'm trying to put on some muscle so I guess I'm just worried about looking more stocky in doing so.

After I work out I have a protein shake (~25g protein) and with it 5g of l-glutamine, as I read it's supposed to help with recovery. Not sure if it's actually doing anything though. The pain/swelling is kind of embarrassing (such as limping) and also makes me feel upset when clothes aren't fitting right even though they did the day before.

Try every other day for your workout day. Glutamine is fine, creatine will help too (use Kre-Alkalyn). I only do legs once a week but do them pretty intense. I figure that i'm walking and doing cardio with them the rest of the time. Like Neo said, your body will adjust. Which is also when you'll want to mix up your routine.
  • booyainyoface
    booyainyoface Posts: 409 Member
    i am the same as you... but i do legs once a week cause we use them so much for day to day things.

what is good for me: week 1- do my legs once HEAVY, week 2- plyometric rapid stuff like jump squats, jump lunges, static wall sits- body weight stuff :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    I've had times where I was sore for a week straight from lifting. Its fine. You don't have bulky legs, just fat over nice muscles. Do your leg work (like everything else) and you'll make sure to burn fat from there eventually!
  • perenial52
    perenial52 Posts: 14 Member
    i am short also and you need to combined your weights with card. and do upper weights on alternate days also do floor exercises to strenghthen and tone perenial52 sharon