Heart rate?

Options
Hello.. this may sound silly but I am a little confused here.. I have been going to the gym for a while now and my husband just started to go with me recently (woohoo!) and he pointed out today that my heart rate was too high...My heart rate tonight was at 170-175 this was while I was doing the eliptical..Should I be worried?

Replies

• chunkymonkey414
    chunkymonkey414 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 156 so it sounds like you're over quite a lot. I'm not sure if that's healthy. Are you doing it at a really intense speed?
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    how old are you?
  • iluxoxo211
    iluxoxo211 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yea I usually do but even if I dont it seems like my heart rate is still higher then it should be =/ maybe I'm just THAT outta shape lol I have been going a while now so I would think it would start going down with the weight I have lost.
  • iluxoxo211
    Options
    how old are you?

I am 20
  • iluxoxo211
    Options

by what this says it is within the normal range ...thanks! :)
  • EgyptianMushroom
    EgyptianMushroom Posts: 341 Member
    Options

by what this says it is within the normal range ...thanks! :)
    Google is always a beautiful source. Same for Mayo Clinic.
    :flowerforyou: Enjoy your workouts!
  • DaleRunning
    DaleRunning Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't know how old you are but it is probably a little higher then the fitness books suggest but if you are doing fine and not having any problem completing your workout then don't worry. As your fitness improves it will be lower doing the same exercises. I am often out of my suggested heart rate because I run, but I don't worry about it you burn calories better with more intensity so if you can handle the workout go for it, and if you are feeling really short of breath, lightheaded or chest pain slow down your going too hard. Have fun. maybe do short periods of intensity then slow down for a couple mins, then do the intensity again. I am not a fitness expert though, lol. You can look up your target heart rate for exercising, there is a formula to figure it out, I think they have it on here under tools if you want to follow that. Good luck!
  • ChristineDB
    ChristineDB Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    220 - your age is your max heart rate. If you are healthy and young you should not worry about going over as long as it's comfortable and you can manage to breath while working out. If you are doing cardio intervals for fat burn your heart rate should be between 120 - 159 low intensity and (ex: 5 mins per interval) then back up at high cardio high intensity (around 160 - 180). It's a real fat blaster!

Before ending your cardio workout if you have a high heart rate you should cool down until it's down to about 140 or less to make sure you don't hyperventilate or be dizzy.

Good tips I received from a co-worker\personal trainer :) Hope it helps!
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Heart rate will go down as you get fitter and lose weight as it needs to work less.
  • iluxoxo211
    Options
    Thanks everyone..I feel better now I was a little worried about it but I dont ever feel any pains or anything so I think I am fine.. I will run this by my doc to make sure though..thanks again! :happy:
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Too high for what? as long as you are healthy and 171 is not over your max heart rate, it is just fine - means your body is actually working....
    My max heart rate is 185 - but I had runs where my HR would be right up there for short periods, and all is weel...The fitter you get, the harder you will have to work te get it at 95% of your max...