Still struggling with this concept?!!??!?!

Options
13»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Below is the MFP activity level scale. I ride a desk so #1. would be the correct answer.

How would you describe your normal daily activities?
    1. Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    2. Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. nurse, salesman)
    3. Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    4. Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

Below is the TDEE Calculator. http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html I work out 5-6 days a week (45min/7% incline/3.6 MPH + Strength Training). So #3 would be the correct answer.

1. Little or no exercise (ex: desk job)
    2. Light exercise (ex: exercising 1-3 days/week)
    3. Moderate exercise (ex: exercising 3-5 days/week)
    4. Heavy exercise (ex: exercising 6-7 days/week)
    5. Daily exercise (ex: exercising 7 days/week and working a physical job)

One is asking for exercise and the other is asking for activity of daily living. I guess I'm confused.

The numbers should work out the same....or very close IF you set your MFP to "Maintain my weight" - the difference here on this site is that is does not automatically assume you will exercise daily, and gives you a built-in deficit when you CHOOSE A weight-loss goal.
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you set MFP at Sedentary or Lightly active then log exercise on the days that you do it, then eat back most of the extra calories - depending on how fast you have set weight loss goals in MFP (0.5 vs 1 vs 2lbs per week), this will still leave you in a calorie deficit.
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I think I've got it figured out.

So. A person has a BMR. If that person wants to loose weight, they consume a certain % of the total BMR calories to create a daily calorie deficit. This weight loss can be achieved sitting on the couch with no effort/exertion what so ever. Let's assume that calculated daily caloric intake is 1800 calories to loose weight.

The % should come off your TDEE NOT your BMR.

Your BMR is what your body needs to function without doing anything else.

Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure -- or how much your body needs to do all the things you do each day ontop of general functions.

I get up and exercise because it allows me to eat more, it makes me feel good, my body will look better because I've exercised and hopefully it'll help reduce my blood pressure.

Also, the muscle mass I gain from strength training will help me burn more calories to lose weight faster.

this^^^ also when you just cut cals you will lose more muscle weight than if you work out. i personally dont lose anything when i cut cals (even just 300) my body starts freaking out and holding ANYTHING it can. exercise allows me to loose weight and keep up with my kiddos better