Wisdom Teeth Removal

Options
Kai85
Kai85 Posts: 440 Member
I've just been to the dentist today and advised that I need to have two wisdom teeth removed. One is impacted so this needs to happen surgically. I have a tentative surgery date of 01 June but am not able to have my consultation until 16 May (I live in a regional area). I'm a nervous nelly. I have always been scared of the dentist (since I had four adult teeth removed as a child - oh the trauma!). I've had a fair bit of dentist work done in the last year and have been somewhat ok with it (the Irish accent of the dentist helps just a little bit).

Anyway I'm hoping someone can calm my nerves and tell me it's not as bad as I'm imagining.

Also I'm considering getting braces and have a consultation date for 26 April. What's your thoughts on getting braces at 26 nearly 27??? My partner is all for it and I think it would be kind of nice to like my smile. Others say they don't think it's too bad.

Replies

• StephTheBookworm
    StephTheBookworm Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had all four of mine out in September. I didn't feel ANYTHING during the surgery. I was out of it, and so it was over before I even knew it. The next few days were painful and I was in bed a lot, but it was manageable. It isn't so bad. I was terrified too, but it was no big deal. :)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    My surgery went good! I was nervous before but it honestly was way less scary than my mind had thought of. The anesthesia is good (I would definitely recommend being put under!) and the pain meds are good! I took a few Vicodin after the fact but I thought that the ibuprofen did more for me, and I was on that longer than the Vicodin.

My sister has panic disorder and she even did well with the surgery!

And you should get braces!! You will feel a lot more confident after the fact!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I had all 4 out when I was 12, right before I had a palate expander followed by braces. Because I was so young they were still very deep, but it was done in the office with iv sedation and the procedure was easy peasy! I did have a fair bit of swelling and bruising but not a lot of pain at all. It looked way worse than it felt.

Go for the braces! Not only are they important for cosmetic purposes, but they will also correct your bite and prevent future dental issues :smile:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I had mine out 2 years ago in office. All the dentist did was numb me, give me the shot in the gums and pulled them right there. All I felt was pressure. Some Advil at home and soft foods for a day or so and I was back to good! Its not bad. You will do fine! :) Go for the braces! Im gonna be 35 and am gonna have to have them on the bottom. Looking at next year for them. My mom's best friend just had hers removed and she is 55! :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Try to stay awake as long as possible when being anesthetized. You get super high.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    An oral surgeon did my wisdom tooth maybe 6 or so years ago. They put you out and you don't know a thing about it. I just remember leaving his office and still kind of feeling out of it. It's not that bad. It was Christmas not long after and I was so hungry that I ate probably more things than I was supposed to. :) The only thing I remember negative was they gave me some pills to take and I don't know if it was from those or with so many people around at X-mas that it was so loud it seemed. So I layed down for a while and took a nap. I'm not a nap person so it was probably the pills. It seemed like the hole in your mouth was there for quite a while. I didn't have any problems with anything so that was good. :) Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do just fine. :)
    Will your dentist do it or will you have an oral surgeon? I don't know if the dentists put you under or just numb it?

When you are under, you won't remember a thing! I don't even remember going to the office! ha It's been a while though. :)
  • nemsmom
    nemsmom Posts: 48
    Options
    I had all four of mine out when I was 20, I do not remember almost anything from the actual appointment ;) I had some pain and quite a bit of swelling after but it was easily controlled with pain meds and rest.

The only thing I can say is try to be in a car with child locks on the ride home! I just about gave my husband a heart attack on the hour and a half ride home! We were driving down the highway at about 55mph when all of the sudden I started to open the door! He yelled what the h e l l are you doing? I said I don't know and went back to sleep! Looking back on it, I was trying to lay my seat back more (it was already back all the way) and I grabbed the wrong handle lol.

You will be fine, it's really not too bad! I was really scared about it too.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I had 2 wisdom teeth and 2 molars all on the right side of my mouth removed in December...I was knocked out and felt nothing. Afterwards, I had good meds and just slept for a couple of days. Then it was just eating soft foods and keeping the surgical site clean. There was some pain, yes. But after a few days I could manage with Advil. And I lost 5lbs, LOL :bigsmile:
  • mwyatt005
    mwyatt005 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stress to much, with surgery that is done with impacted teeth the normally use a mixture of sedation and laughing gas. Once that sedation hits kiss 3-4 hrs of your life goodbye. You'll remember little things like sitting in the office or maybe hanging out in the chair and that's it. You'll probably be like me and go oh please god I pray I didn't make an *kitten* of myself. The next few days will be painful be lying if it wasn't but it easily managed via pain killers normally proscribed such as t3's. Hardest part is trying to figure out what u can eat easily and what you shouldn't eat at all but will brave it anyway. You'll own it :)
  • jaric01
    jaric01 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It all depends on whether they need to make incisions and/or have to break up the teeth. If so, then there's going to be some pain, but that's why they give you the Vicodin. :-) If they can just pull the teeth out with no incisions, you'll be ok in no time.

Oh, and buy some gelato ahead of time. I lived on drinking melted gelato for 2 days.
  • BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I had it done...asked the surgeon for a RX of Ativan to take before i got there...made me loopy. got in the chair-knocked me right out i remembered nothing and had enough pain meds on board i didn't feel anything until the 2nd day. then ice on and off with Motrin. I did however end up having the muscles in my jaw tense up for two weeks and couldn't open my mouth wide enough to even get a spoon between my teeth. best diet ever. lost about 7lbs.

and i would LOVE to get braces or invisiline...and i'm 31. i say do it!!
  • Bookers23
    Bookers23 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If given the option choose sedation or twilight, do not get general anesthesia. General is a longer recovery, unnecessary risks and increased nausea etc. with twilight, you will not remember a thing and will feel refreshed upon waking. Where i work, we call it MAC anesthesia. My patients are much more stable and generally in a better mood which lends itself to faster recovery when going tnis route. General involves some degree of airway support so you will have a scratchy throat. I had all four of mine extracted, they were sideways and impacted. Left the office in a bit of pain until the local anesthetic wears off. A few days of oral pain meds and all was good. You can expect some sutures which dissolve on their owns. Do not use straws or smoke of course. Good luck! Get it behind you, I was so happy to have mine out.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I had to have all four out, though only one was impacted. I didn't feel a thing and was high as a kite. It was great!

Next few days I looked like a chipmunk, tended to drool but had lots of fun eating popsicles and jello :D They gave me vicodin for the pain but it made me so sick I just stuck with ibuprofen and was fine.

I didn't bruise badly either.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    As with some others, I had all four wisdom teeth out when I was younger (I'd just turned 13), and was totally knocked out for it. I didn't have to stay overnight, just a few hours. I don't remember a thing from the surgery, but there was some swelling and a bit of pain after. I rested up for a day or two and had lots of milkshakes lol Just get it over with; it'll save you from a LOT of pain in the future!

As for the braces - can you do something like invisalign or another alternative treatment? If not, and if you're uncomfortable with your teeth and/or it will be healthier for them to be straightened - go for it anyway! :)
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a general anesthetic. It's so great. You just go to sleep and wake up with ice on your face.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Try to stay awake as long as possible when being anesthetized. You get super high.

Dude - this is so true!

I was staring at the ceiling and counting backwards from 100 when the ceiling tiles started to ripple. I started giggling like a madwoman, the aesthetician leaned over to look at me, and I was out.

The pain wasn't horrible for a few hours after the fact but I was ever so grateful for my Vicodan prescription. I think the pain pre-surgery was worse than the pain after - I was pregnant when mine came in and all 4 were impacted. Hurt like a mo-fo but then again, I have low tolerance for pain in my head.

Oh and I am 32 and I would LOVE to get braces.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I got 2 taken out back in college because the lower left one was impacted. I got it done under local anesthesia because I didn't have anyone to drive me home. I felt the pressure and pulling and heard the drilling. Everything was fine. I only took pain med for the day of the surgery, and I had no swelling.

I got the other 2 taken out this January. Again under local anesthesia, but these were not impacted. So my dentist just pulled them out. I took them out because the gum kept getting infected, and I didn't want it to become more problematic. I took pain med for a few days, and had no swelling.

I want braces for my bottom teeth, but DH doesn't think I need it since you don't see the bottom when you smile.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I got all 4 taken out at once a couple years ago. Dentist said I was his worst patient - even unconscious I fought him the whole time! I don't remember any of it though so whatever!
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I had 2 removed at age 18 under a local anaesthetic, it honestly wasn't as bad as most people reckon it is. I was still in the forces at the time so had to take a compulsory day's sick leave off the next day, but I didn't really need it. Funnily enough, the worst aspect of it all was the after care - not the pain as I was able to manage that easily with medication, but getting the bleeding to stop. It isn't a constant flow, the blood kind of goes jelly in the extraction area, but it was easily ruptured, and you have to keep swilling warm salty water. That lasted for at least 48 hours.

If you're really nervous about this consider some hypnotherapy, you'd probably only need one or two sessions nearer the time. My ex is extremely dental phobic due to bad experiences in childhood, but she's also a hypnotherapist. These days she's able to hypnotise herself and receive dental procedures, including drilling, etc. without anaesthetic.
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had braces and everything as a child, but my teeth went crocked again, getting them redone at 21 was the best decision, I was really unsure about it. So glad I had it done, my teeth are perfect now and have had a permanent wire placed on the back so they will always be straight.

Also had my wisdom taken out under sedation! I remember nothing! It's really not as bad a you think mine was impacted in a nerve as well, I remember injection and waking up on sofa at home, awesome! :laugh: I did look like a hamster for a week though!

:flowerforyou: