Curbing hunger at night

Options
Hi! Anyone have any tips on curbing hunger at night? or maybe healthy snack suggestions? I usually eat well during the day, then around 9-10:00 I become ravenous. I ruin my whole within this time, then I go to bed soon after and wake up the next morning feeling terrible. Any advice is appreciated! Feel free to add me!

Replies

• rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I drink alot of water and have some popcorn for a snack. Helps alot.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Here's something that has worked well for me. I DO NOT DRINK with my meals. The theory is that, if you drink with meals, the weight of the liquid pushes the food through your stomach and into your digestive tract, leaving just water in your stomach at the end of your meal. This passes quickly through your system, leaving your stomach empty soon after eating. If you don't drink, the food has more time to move through your system and therefore, you don't get the 'munchies' after a meal. Try it out and see what you think!
    All the best!
    Gwen
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    If your hungry your metabolism will slow down and you need to eat! I drink a protein shake when Im hungry before bed.
  • Boo522
    Boo522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I save some of my calories for that time of night. Once I get all of my water in if I am still hungry in the evening I have a piece of fruit or yogurt.
  • m2nc
    m2nc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have trouble around 7-9 pm so I try to drink a lot of water if not that is when I go for a walk or run or try to work out in our home gym... anything to get away from food! Most times it works... and then I can add the exercise to my diary! and I sleep better! Good luck! It takes 3 weeks to make it a habit though.. so keep trying!
  • ldalbello
    ldalbello Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, so now I skip breakfast and save those calories for evening. It really works for me as I found that when I did eat breakfast I was hungry all day long.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a box of cheese its and wash it down with 5-6 beers...............now i just blast down 32 oz of water or so and go to bed.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If your hungry your metabolism will slow down and you need to eat! I drink a protein shake when Im hungry before bed.

I'm just wandering, do you know how long you can go without eating before your metabolism slows? A hint it's not in one day..
  • kkbecker12
    Options
    Hi all! I too have had the same problem. The best thing is to plan ahead and make sure you aren't actually hungry at 9pm. Honestly, the best way to not eat that late is to get out of the habit of eating late. I've been told to pinch your fat in the places you want to loose it every time that nighttime binge happens. That helps, OR what helps me the most is at 9pm go brush your teeth. I promise you, out of habit, your body will not want food. If your body still wants food, don't give in. Have a nice glass of cold water by your side and let that be your 9pm snack.
    If you must snack, try fruit, or popcorn w/o butter or salt etc. You can get 100 calorie packs. Those aren't bad for you.

Hope that helps!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    How many cals are you eating daily and what are your macronutrients set to?
  • RobynDCrossman
    Options
    I do this, too. But I'll be frank. Binge eating is a mental thing more than anything else.
    The likelihood that you're actually still hungry is probably inaccurate if you've eaten well throughout the day.
    Times like that, I eat a spoon of peanut butter and send myself to bed. :P
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I had the same problem, so now I skip breakfast and save those calories for evening. It really works for me as I found that when I did eat breakfast I was hungry all day long.
    When you eat breakfast you can eat more calories per day and still lose the same amount of weight. And if your exercising you should never skip breakfast.
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    How many cals are you eating daily and what are your macronutrients set to?
    great question!
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As someone said before, protein drinks with milk are my fix.
  • mbrou28
    mbrou28 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If you are that hungry you may consider drinking a cup of 1% milk just before bed so that you can go to sleep feeling satisfied. It usually works well for me.
  • iamlottiebee
    iamlottiebee Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually have a low-cal hot chocolate (under 50 cals per serve). Satisfies my sweet tooth and knocks the hunger pangs on the head :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Regarding the OP:

I would suggest eating less during the day and save more calories for night time so that you can freely eat more at night and stay at the same end-of-day calorie/macro intake. If this still causes problems, I'd look at satiety on a per-meal basis and see if you can select foods that keep you full for longer periods of time.

Regarding skipping meals, you can go for a day or two without issues. Skipping breakfast is perfectly harmless metabolically speaking. The whole concept of eating frequently to stoke your metabolism has been debunked readily.

I wrote a detailed and referenced post on this, but I'll be damned if I can find it. LOL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Hi! Anyone have any tips on curbing hunger at night? or maybe healthy snack suggestions? I usually eat well during the day, then around 9-10:00 I become ravenous. I ruin my whole within this time, then I go to bed soon after and wake up the next morning feeling terrible. Any advice is appreciated! Feel free to add me!
    Save calories for night. I eat well after 11:00pm everyday. I just make sure it's part of my daily calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    THIS. I do the same and have no issues with overeating at night.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Regarding the OP:

I would suggest eating less during the day and save more calories for night time so that you can freely eat more at night and stay at the same end-of-day calorie/macro intake. If this still causes problems, I'd look at satiety on a per-meal basis and see if you can select foods that keep you full for longer periods of time.

Regarding skipping meals, you can go for a day or two without issues. Skipping breakfast is perfectly harmless metabolically speaking. The whole concept of eating frequently to stoke your metabolism has been debunked readily.

I wrote a detailed and referenced post on this, but I'll be damned if I can find it. LOL.

If you say something enough it becomes true regardless of facts. "Eat more often to speed up your metabolism" or "don't skip breakfast or you'll not lose weight" etc. I'm so tired of seeing this constantly from people. I don't think it will ever be accepted since it goes against what all the "Experts" say...