Empty stomach morning cardio

Options

Replies

• Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I know they say your not supposed to do this but yes I am guilty. I like to work out without eating first then jump in the shower. I always weigh the least at that time.

It's actually recommended, who says no?

it's a personal choice to do it or not to, not bad if you don't, small increase in metabolism for the day if you do. people like me, I like to eat if I can, but I'll do it sometimes if my energy permits.
  • petkova
    petkova Posts: 72
    Options
    I wish I could wake up early enough to work out .. I have accepted the fact that i am a night person and i don't even try anymore :)
  • glittermouse
    glittermouse Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I do cardio all the time on an empty / empty-ish stomach. Just last night I did my workout too soon after eating and I felt sick. If I did morning workouts, I would definitely do it on an empty stomach.
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    If it's less than an hour of hard cardio, then empty stomach it is. Especially in the morning. For longer bike rides (20+ miles for me) and day hikes I fuel up before going out. Nothing worse than running on empty halfway through. That's just me, though. Everyone is different.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I never ate before cardio, but did drink a couple of cups of coffee. I wasn't aware of any fat-burning effect of doing cardio on an empty stomach. I just find it difficult to eat anything when I wake up at 4:00 a.m.
  • dorseykm
    dorseykm Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I run 2-11 miles in the morning before eating anything. I've been doing it for months w/o problems.
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat before going to the gym 1st thing in the morning. I am however going to start training with a personal trainer next week and she insists that I eat breakfast at least 60 minutes before excercising. According to her there are more benefits in terms of nutrition/metabolism than excercising on an empty stomach.
  • lauest
    lauest Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat a banana now straight after getting up - I train before breakfast. I found I wasn't performing the best I could without anything, so I make sure I eat something light with a bit of quickly used energy. I would prefer to have a good run/ weight session and really burn through calories, then feeling like I cant run anymore or feeling weak and stopping.
    Back in my twenties, I was fine doing a workout on a completely empty stomach.
    Its a personal thing - whatever works for you! The main thing is you work out!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've tried eating and not eating in the past year - and I can't say I've noticed any difference in the "fat burning qualities" of my exercise. For me, it's pretty simple - if I keep my calories in check and do some exercise, I lose weight. If I don't do those things I gain.

I suspect this is one of those things where you just have to experiment to see what works for you, and what fits into your schedule.
    At the moment I usually have some fruit and a coffee before I exercise in the morning, but I don't feel that it's essential for a shorter run. For a long run I always have something before I go and usually take water and a snack or gel for the run.
  • collide5
    collide5 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't think it really does much harm when you exercise on an empty stomach. Just as long as you fuel yourself later.
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    During the work week it is workout on empty stomach. I am up at 350, out the door by 400 and at work by 5ish. I hit the gym. Normally I do 30-40 minutes on stationary bike, then M-W-F it is a power walk (cant run due to injury) and T-Th it is a core workout/full body workout, usually done at high pace. Walks are 30-50 minutes epending on distance or if we are doing hills. The core work is about 50 minutes. Each day I follow that up with approx 60 minutes on the elliptical. Hit the scale then the shower and at desk around 0830.
    I usally drink a Powerade Zero (or two depending on how dehydrated I feel) as soon as I get to desk and will eat something by 0900. Usually brerakfast is some Greek yogurt. This seems to work for me. I have not had any negative results. I try to hydrate well throughout the day, but do not drink much while working out.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat before going to the gym 1st thing in the morning. I am however going to start training with a personal trainer next week and she insists that I eat breakfast at least 60 minutes before excercising. According to her there are more benefits in terms of nutrition/metabolism than excercising on an empty stomach.

I do cardio fasted but I think you are better eating something before weight training.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I always go straight to the gym after dropping my son off at school in the morning without eating. I arrive around 8 and either do a one hour zumba or kickboxing class or run on average 4 miles with some light strength and core work afterward. Lasts about 60 minutes in all. I also go home and shower before starting to prepare something to eat maybe around 10:30-11am. Never had a problem and in two months ive gone from 177 to 159 and no plateau yet.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I always go straight to the gym after dropping my son off at school in the morning without eating. I arrive around 8 and either do a one hour zumba or kickboxing class or run on average 4 miles with some light strength and core work afterward. Lasts about 60 minutes in all. I also go home and shower before starting to prepare something to eat maybe around 10:30-11am. Never had a problem and in two months ive gone from 177 to 159 and no plateau yet.

They're good losses - about 1kg per week or 2.2 pounds per week.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Guilty! I feel lighter n afterwards I tend to pick something healthy cause I already started my day by working out
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I was always told you shouldn't workout on a full stomach and that to wait about 2 hours after eating before working out, I know I would be killed with stitch if I ate first, I always drop kids to school come home do my workout have my shower weigh in and then eat, having said that I am currently hungry now and debating on eating now and giving my workout a miss as I won't fit it in unless I do it straight after I drop kids off as got so much on during the days

oh what to do, what to do lol

think I'll hold off and do my workout though it won;t kill me to wait a while for breakfast lol

ps I have lost 21lb in about 11 weeks doing it this way so it can't be doing any damage to my weight loss??
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 5:30 am to get my workout on so yes I do my zumba on empty stomach. After I'm done I grab a greek yogurt for a quick snack. I then eat my breakfast after I put my kids on the bus at 8:30 am. It has always worked for me.

What kind of breakfast do you have?
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Guilty! I feel lighter n afterwards I tend to pick something healthy cause I already started my day by working out

I agree...I tend to stay on the healthy path all day when I do not eat before my workout...I do have to have my coffee however to wake up. The coffee provides me with the energy I need to get the workout I need to get done. My husbands feels as though he needs to eat before he works out and will not eat after his workout, besides is shake. Everyone has their own preference. You have to do what you feel works for you.
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before cardio, but that is mostly because i exercise first thing in the morning, about 5:30am or 6am ish. Its too early for me to eat around that time.

^^This! However, I have heard that if you work out on an empty stomach then you burn more fat! I've always done it as I just wouldn't have time later in the day!
  • Roxie861
    Roxie861 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Im doing C25k and i always go in the morning!

I am really noticing a difference from doing this :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!