Morning cardio with empty stomach

Options
I'd like to know if anyone has success in doing empty-stomach morning cardio in terms of fat-burning?

Replies

• feistyhorsegal
    feistyhorsegal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I read that doing your exercise first up on an empty stomach kick starts your metabolism
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it's not necessary to do it fasted. For overweight folks, it won't make much of any difference. For the lean, possibly.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

^ Here's a detailed explanation.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    I read that doing your exercise first up on an empty stomach kick starts your metabolism

Actually, all it really does is assist with fatty acid mobilization if you're already lean and have mobilization issues. In terms of energy expenditure/metabolism it won't make any difference.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    IF the cardio is low intensity and done for a long enough duration, you can effectively burn off more fat. However, I've found the intensity usually can't be above 65% of your max heart rate and the duration is at most 60 minutes, possibly 90 minutes.

But personally I've also found that doing HIIT cardio with my clients instead of morning cardio on an empty stomach has been yielding better results for them after trying both.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I really just don't understand how people can function without eating first thing in the morning. I must eat before I do anything!
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    But personally I've also found that doing HIIT cardio with my clients instead of morning cardio on an empty stomach has been yielding better results for them after trying both.

Are you saying HIIT on an empty stomach or HIIT in general vs. morning cardio on an empty stomach?
  • nataliefallbach
    Options
    I work out on an empty stomach and its working for me, I have read many different things on this and its confusing but I think you should do what feels good for you. If you need the extra energy to push yourself then by all means do it but I eat right after workout and feel good. I have lost an overall of 21 pounds doing this method since December. However, Jillian Micheal (who I adore) says not to, but if it feels good do it. I get cramps if I eat before a workout, even a shake or a banana, so I just go to the gym first thing and do it. Funny thing is, I work out across the street from McDonalds, at first it was tough, now, not so much. Whatever you decide a calorie is a calorie, burn as many as you can in the time you've got and watch what you do the rest of the day and you'll lose weight. Books on weight loss are just guidelines for us, mix and match and find out what plan feels right to you. Good luck!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've done it couple times in the mornings on my days off before I weigh-in for the week. Since it burns off any excess water i'm retaining from the nite before. It really is not any harder then doing cardio on a full stomach. My energy is about the same either way. I would do it everyday if I had mornings off. One thing is you will be ravenous afterwards tho, so plan on eating asap after workout.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    IF the cardio is low intensity and done for a long enough duration, you can effectively burn off more fat. However, I've found the intensity usually can't be above 65% of your max heart rate and the duration is at most 60 minutes, possibly 90 minutes.

There's a couple paragraphs in NROLW on endurance cardio that suggests this sequence:
    1. 15 minutes of HIIT - burn off glycogen stores
    2. Stop. Rest for at least 5 minutes - body mobilizes fat stores
    3. LISS cardio - body oxidizes released fat

Thoughts?
  • nataliefallbach
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer, my understanding and what has worked for me is to push myself for 30 to 60 minutes HARD, normally its 30 to 40 minutes six times a week and get your heart rate up so that you burn calories even after the workout. I could be wrong, I have no certifications but I need to feel the burn, the sweat, the heart beating hard to feel likeI have accomplished anything. Like I said, I am no expert, just read a lot and try things out. So far, its been good. I try to change up the cardio machines as well although its hard when my favorite one is the teadmill. I am not sure one way is the right way, we are all so different. I have had friends lose a ton of weight doing low intensity but the weight loss was slower. But weight loss is weight loss, get er done no matter what it takes!!!!

Also, I don't know what HIT is? If its intervals then please ignore what I said before. I have been doing 1 minute 4.0, one minute 5.0, one minute 6.0 one minute 7.0, then back down to 4.0, repeat. 30-40 minutes of that I'm a sweating machine
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Are you saying HIIT on an empty stomach or HIIT in general vs. morning cardio on an empty stomach?
    HIIT in general.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

There's a couple paragraphs in NROLW on endurance cardio that suggests this sequence:
    1. 15 minutes of HIIT - burn off glycogen stores
    2. Stop. Rest for at least 5 minutes - body mobilizes fat stores
    3. LISS cardio - body oxidizes released fat

Thoughts?
    Sounds like something I do with clients. HIIT cardio for 20 minutes then another 20 minutes of very moderate cardio on days that they don't train with me. Haven't had anyone say that it's not working for them for losing fat, but then again, I'm adamant about them being in calorie deficit.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer, my understanding and what has worked for me is to push myself for 30 to 60 minutes HARD, normally its 30 to 40 minutes six times a week and get your heart rate up so that you burn calories even after the workout. I could be wrong, I have no certifications but I need to feel the burn, the sweat, the heart beating hard to feel likeI have accomplished anything. Like I said, I am no expert, just read a lot and try things out. So far, its been good. I try to change up the cardio machines as well although its hard when my favorite one is the teadmill. I am not sure one way is the right way, we are all so different. I have had friends lose a ton of weight doing low intensity but the weight loss was slower. But weight loss is weight loss, get er done no matter what it takes!!!!

Also, I don't know what HIT is? If its intervals then please ignore what I said before. I have been doing 1 minute 4.0, one minute 5.0, one minute 6.0 one minute 7.0, then back down to 4.0, repeat. 30-40 minutes of that I'm a sweating machine
    If the intensity is too high (70% and above of max heart rate) and your glycogen is depleted low enough from a fasted state in the morning, then to comp for that energy needed, the body will catabolize muscle (especially if you're not in positive nitrogen balance) since it's easier for the liver to break down muscle for energy than fat. That's why I believe it's important not to go 65% over max heart rate. But the calorie burn for the duration at this intensity isn't really worth the time put in my opinion which is why I don't really have clients do it unless they really want to.
    And HIIT is kinda of like that but the intensity is usually much higher (unless running at 7.0 is really hard for you). I've had clients go up to 10.0 to 12.0 for 20 to 30 seconds on HIIT.

IDEA Fitness member
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT on empty stomach first thing in the morning. With excess food in stomach, I feel a bit 'heavier' so to speak. So it's hard.
    BUT if I do weight training, I will eat first before doing it. Empty stomach weight training makes me feel dizzy.

To one his own, I think. =D
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I can't eat before working out in the morning. I get sick. I have coffee, water then I run. Right after my run I eat a banana. This is what works for me. Everybody's different. Some people have to eat before. I say do what works for you.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio sessions in the morning. But its normally as soon as I wake up, if I wait to long between waking up & working out I get hungry and sluggish and can't workout as hard.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat before cardio and feel fine. I've tried not eating until afterwards but for up to an hour after I'm just not hungry, anyone know why??
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've tried not eating before cardio (treadmill) and I only made it a little while in and I felt like I saw going to barf, my stomach was so empty. I have to eat breakfast first. I always try to eat breakfast within the first 30 minutes or so of waking up. Even if I don't plan on doing a workout right away. I feel queasy if I don't eat and can't seem to get myself going either.
  • Chrisgarcia1287
    Options
    I really just don't understand how people can function without eating first thing in the morning. I must eat before I do anything!

Im the exact same way. But maybe because my workouts are more on the intense side. You need to have some calories in your system after an 7-8 hour fast from sleeping.

Theres no point of doing an hour of cardio if its low intensity, why even bother? Bump up your intensity, get ur heart rate up in the fat burning zone.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    As to this, I'm not sure I agree with that, but its hard to argue with a certified personal trainer,

While I certainly think Ninerbuff knows his stuff, I wouldn't let the personal trainer tag get in the way of any discussion or disagreement. There are plenty of bad trainers out there and I bet Niner would tell you the same.