2»

Replies

• Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Yes.

A well fueled body is more efficient.

An underfed body is... starving.

Don't let your mind get the best of you.
  • layfield23
    Options
    Not knowing how much you eat makes that hard to answer. How often you eat dfinately could help.Eating your 3 healthy meals and snacks in between. Go no longer than 2-3 hourswithout eating and always include a fruit/veggie AND a protein. This keeps your metabolism raised and steady and your body will learn it is not being deprived so doesn't go into the starvation reserve mode.
    Also, cardio isn't always the best fat burner. It depends on the muscle fibers (fast twitch or slow twitch) being used in a particular excersize. Slow twitch, larger fat burniung muscles as in the legs, hips and core will burn more fat. That is why you hear so much about walking being a great excersize because it works these muscles. So maybe slowing down a couple workouts and a couple more snacks could be the ticket you need!
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising more, the weight gain could be from water retention. You're wearing down your muscles, which can cause your body to hold water.

I don't know the science behind it, and I'm no expert.

However, if you keep cutting, and you're still gaining, there may be something medically wrong with you. I suggest seeing a doctor if possible.

You should also gradually add calories. If you add them all at once, you'll have a gain. It'll go away after awhile, but I know what a small gain can do to the mind. :) So add about 100 calories this week, then another 100 next week. You should aim for a deficit of 500 below your TDEE, NOT your BMR. You should not be eating below your BMR ever.

Aim for slow and steady weight loss, and you'll increase your chance of success.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    i have such a hard time believing this - like the first poster, i have always been VERY active but when i started working out more i started to gain weight... i couldn't figure it out so i reduced calories..

Working out more+ eating less and i gained!! I don't get it - i thought maybe it was just muscle but now not so sure....

My only option is to give the 'eating more' theory a go....

how quickly did people see results, and what type of additional calories are you adding - assuming its not a big mac!

I upped my daily calorie goal in several phases. I didn't jump from 1200 to 1588 overnight. It took about 4 weeks before I reached 1588. At the same time, I reduced the amount of time I spent on cardio (only because strength training takes A LOT of time). When I was doing only cardio, I worked out 3 days and rested 1 day. After incorporating strength training, I work out 2 days and rest 1. During the 3 weeks when I was steadily increasing my daily calorie goal, my weight continued to drop at 1 lb a week. I increased my calorie goal to 1588 when my weight dropped to below where I wanted it to be (I have a specific goal weight only because I want to be able to continue to donate blood).

Again, remember: this is purely anecdotal. Your mileage may vary. :)
  • momof5kiki
    Options
    wow thank you everyone. I am shocked to hear all the responses. Thank you. I am working so I will let you know what happens :-)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    To be honest, still scared to try it, and unsure how to apply it to me!?

I am not really very hungry. ever!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Google ghrelin.
    You may have a hormonal issue that keeps you from being hungry.
    If you have been on a crash diet or VLCD for a long time or have an eating disorder you could have hormonal issues.
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I gained and lost the same 3 pounds for 6 months, all while lifting heavy and doing cardio 3x/week. (187 to 190 lbs, eating NET of 1800, which I thought was a lot).

Upped my intake to 2100 NET. Went back up to 190 for one whole week but kept at it. Three weeks into it, and I'm at my lowest weight in 1.5 years, 185. And my weight now only fluctuates a tiny bit day by day instead of 2 or 3 pounds overnight. And I have a TON more energy.

So, I'm a believer.

If you do make any changes, please stick with it long enough to see if it actually works. Give it a few weeks, even if you do gain initially. There is a group called Eat More To Weigh Less, and there are lots of good stories there to encourage you if you decide to try it. Good luck! :)
  • ALH1981
    Options
    i think i need to try it...
  • ALH1981
    Options

Google ghrelin.
    If you have been on a crash diet or VLCD for a long time or have an eating disorder you could have hormonal issues.

i don't know what VLCD is - but have definitely been on every crash diet under the sun ...! haven't we all? what hormonal issues do you mean that could hinder this?
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options

Google ghrelin.

i don't know what VLCD is - but have definitely been on every crash diet under the sun ...! haven't we all? what hormonal issues do you mean that could hinder this?

I'm quite worried about this myself I was on VLCD's on and off for 3 years O.o
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Google ghrelin.

VLCD = Very Low Calorie Diet