Loose Arms.....advise please

Options
I would like some suggestions on how to tighten up my arms. I have lost 53 lbs since Jan and my arms need some work. My current fitness level is on the low end. I have an elliptical which I use faithfully everyday and I also walk every other day. I do have some 3 and 4 lb weights but i'm not sure what really to do with them. LOL

Replies

• soxygirl
    soxygirl Posts: 173
    Options
    Push ups! Google the 100 push-up challenge and give it a try . . . It's a program that helps you work your way toward doing 100 push-ups in a row. Don't be intimidated by it just because it says you'll complete it in 6 weeks -- It's the journey, not the destination. I'm on week 4 but I did week 3 twice before I proceeded and I'll probably do week 4 at least twice. I have seen major changes in my arms, though, since starting the program.

Also, tricep dips are great . . . Begin sitting on a step or chair with hands next to thighs. Balance on your arms, moving your rear off of the chair with legs straight (harder) or bent (easier). Bend the elbows and lower body a few inches, keeping the shoulders away from your ears and the elbows parallel to one another, going no lower than 90 degrees. Push back up to starting position. Repeat for 2-3 sets of 8-12 repetitions. If you have any wrist or shoulder problems, skip this exercise.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Check out the Fitness magazine website (www.fitnessmagazine.com)... go to "Workouts", and then choose "Arms and Shoulders" on the left hand side. They usually break their routines out by beginner, intermediate, and advanced, so you should be able to find something that challenges you but doesn't kill you. They also usually require very little equipment, so they are easy to do at home.

Good job on the 53 pounds by the way! :flowerforyou:
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    Agree on the push ups and triceps dips. Work them in throughout the day whenever you can. Push ups will tone your entire body, not just your arms.. Get your self set up really well. Contract your stomach mucles, contract your quads, really squeeze your gluteals as you are doing them. When you are properly set up you can do a lot more in one session and you will tone your entire body.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    pushups (diamond position as well as wide spread), pull ups (assisted if you have to, but work to technical failure), tricep extensions, horrizontal skull crushers. You can google all of these and find the correct positioning.

The elliptical won't do much for arms, even with the arm poles, it's just not enough resistance. You actually have to do real, honest weight training on your upper body to tighten up your arm definition. Also note that if you lose a lot of weight, you're GOING to have some loose skin, that's a fact, there's nothing to be done for that besides making sure you eat healthy (to keep your skin healthy) and give it time. It can take a while for skin to tighten up, and the older you are, the less it will "snap back".
  • alli7077
    alli7077 Posts: 5
    Options
    Some great ideas...thanks for the help. Pushups? I'm not quite at that point yet, but I did go on website suggested. I'm gonna save this website, it has some great ideas. Thanks again.