A little discouraged, please help?

Options
20shan08
20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
Hey, I've only been using fitness pal for 2 weeks, I've lost 13 pounds. But I've been dieting off and on since September 2011 and I've lost 37lbs in total. HUGE change!!

Anyway, I weigh myself every day and the other day and this morning when I hopped on the scale I saw that I had gained a pound! Last time it happened, I had lost it plus more the next day. But it feels like a big set back :( is this normal? Is it better to only weigh myself maybe once or twice a week?

Anyone have similar stories or advice

Replies

• Yacki
    Yacki Posts: 46
    Options
    I have heard that it is best to only weight once or twice a week. I am like you and weigh every morning and am happy if I am the same or less. I do see a gain from time to time- I know in most cases it is due to water. However if I see it go up - it just makes me be more cautious with what I am eating - or inspires me to do more exercise. I know that if I did it just once a week - I would be more excited to see a 2 or 3 lb loss instead of the 1 lb here and there - that I have been seeing.

By the way what are you doing to lose weight? What has helped you drop your weight? You should be very PROUD of your success!! Way to go!! Can't wait to report a big lose like that!! Keep up the good work!!
    Feel free to share your secret to your success.
  • 20shan08
    20shan08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

Honestly, even before it was basically just watching my calorie intake. I never worked out, until just recently I bought an elliptical. I love it! I was so out of shape that I couldn't go longer than 2 minutes without taking a break, now I'm up to 15, twice a day.

I started at 245 pounds! And I've been that way since before I had my daughter, 3 years ago. It's funny because I always knew I was overweight but I never really knew how big I was until I saw a picture of me the other day. Wow! That's my motivation now, I saved as my background on my phone lol
  • TDT1
    TDT1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't sweat a pound. You have to think of this as a lifestyle change NOT a diet. Your body is going to fluctuate, it is normal. A little extra sodium one day can make you retain water the next morning and there is your pound.

As far as how often to weigh, it depends on what your goal is. If you have more you are wanting to lose then only weigh once a week to allow your body to do what it needs to do without bumming you out. If you are just trying to maintain now, then weigh every day and keep track for a month or two and you will start to see your bodies natural fluctuations.

You are doing great with your weight lose and should be very encouraged. Good luck and God bless.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, actually more then daily, but I only record once a week. The thing about weighing yourself that often is that you have to realize how your body reacts and changes thru the day. If you do it over years, as I have, it's actually quite predictable and so I know things like: if I have a big meal, it will take 3 days before it registers on the scale and another 3 days until it's gone. I know that if I keep on track that's it. I eat a big meal and week later it's cleared, but if I try to sneak in extra calories anywhere in that time period, the scenario changes and the weight isn't necessarily gone when I expect it to be. Just be careful, and know your body well and it's reactions to food and water well. Until you do know it that well, don't freak out about little weight swings.
  • cspark1982
    Options
    I would be weighing a most twice a week. My weighin day is Mondays and I usuall do a mid week on Thursday just to see how I'm going.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    It's a total mental game!! Understand that your weight will fluctuate by the day, by the hour, etc. Try to not let it discourage you, as hard as it may be. It's probably best to record your weight on the same day of each week, aim for the same time of day, too.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've only been using fitness pal for 2 weeks, I've lost 13 pounds. But I've been dieting off and on since September 2011 and I've lost 37lbs in total. HUGE change!!

Anyway, I weigh myself every day and the other day and this morning when I hopped on the scale I saw that I had gained a pound! Last time it happened, I had lost it plus more the next day. But it feels like a big set back :( is this normal? Is it better to only weigh myself maybe once or twice a week?

Anyone have similar stories or advice

Yeah, a lb. or two fluctuation is normal. If anything you are losing too fast. 2-3 lbs. per weak is less stress on your system, easier to to stick to in the long run and preserves muscle. Six to 7 lbs. in a week would make me worry that you are cutting back too fast or getting dehydrated. Losing a lb. or two per week is easier because it indicates less of calorie cutback and probably means it will new easier to stick too the plan. I weigh myself daily but didn't worry when my weight bounces around and long as the general trend was in the right direction. I'm now on my goal weight and trying to stabilize.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!