in Home workout for new mom?

Options
Hey all!! I'm a new mommy (my son is almost 8wks) and I REALLY need to get back in the swing of things with my diet and exercise. Before my (pregnancy, I was able to hit the gym, walk the track, go to pole exercises and Zumba......now....yea not so much :) Any suggestions on some REALLY effective workout videos or routines. This will be my primary source of exercise until the weather warms up and my baby is old enough to be outdoors for walks. I own a WII and want to get the Zumbo game......Any other suggestions?

PS I would love to try Insanity; however, my level of fitness is....well nonexistant and this point :) Thanks in advance

Replies

• cjhamh
    cjhamh Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I find the Jillian Michaels workouts short and effective. Most are only 20 minutes long which is perfect when you have little ones! I have a 3 & 1 year old and I can fit that workout in with them when we aren't outside.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would try Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred with some small handweights. It's working well for me so far and I've got noodle arms!
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    First, 8 weeks is NOTHING!!! Don't be so hard on yourself!!!!

Ok, my personal favorite work out video is the Biggest Loser Boot Camp video, I picked it up at Target. It has three different work outs in addition to warm ups, so you can increase your intensity. And if the baby starts crying, you can stop after 1 work out. That was nice. :)
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I find the Jillian Michaels workouts short and effective. Most are only 20 minutes long which is perfect when you have little ones! I have a 3 & 1 year old and I can fit that workout in with them when we aren't outside.

I agree. Start yourself a collection of Jillian Michaels DVDs (I love Ripped in 30 the most -- intense!) and have some dumbbells on hand for the strength training parts.
  • Jcao1214
    Jcao1214 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion for Jillian Michaels. After my second baby I did her 30 Day Shred, then moved on to Ripped in 30. I lost all of my baby weight and then some (while dieting at the same time.) I just finished my first week of Insanity and while it is very hard and challenging it wasn't nearly as terrifying as I thought it would be, Jillian Michaels did an awesome job of getting me into shape and all it took was about 20 minutes a day.
  • jb852013
    jb852013 Posts: 116
    Options
    Congrats!! So exciting. :) My favorite thing to do on the wii is play Just Dance. Quite a bit of fun, and when your baby is older he can join in with you! :) My kids love to dance with me.
  • MDLanie
    MDLanie Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't have children, but I am self-employed, and my schedule is always changing. I have been using 'You Are Your Own Gym,' by Mark Lauren. Good book, good app (I have an Android phone). Has tons of variations of body weight exercises. Most of the workouts last about 36 minutes or less. You can also pause the workout on the app, if you need to. Check out www.marklauren.com.
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    There is actually quite a few things online you can try for free try you tube or tumblr. My baby is 12 weeks old and I have done DVD's Walk Away The Pounds which is very easy gets the heart going but can be boring, Denise Austen Low Impact which is somewhat fun, Zumba online, taking a Zumba class once a week, and also walking 1 to 3 miles two to three times a week when weather permits. I have heard many people using the biggest loser DVD's as well. Just starting is something, here is a site with free workouts http://tumblrgym.tumblr.com/
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Body weight excercises are excellent! Squats, lunges, push ups! And add in some jumping jacks! You can do at home and no equipment necessary.
  • Jessica_Henry74
    Options
    I have zumba 2 on my wii, and I just bought some new workout games that should be arriving soon. I have a 6 year old, 4 year old 2 year old and a 3 month old baby.

I also do Tiffany Rothe on youtube and I do some weight lifting and abdominal crunches. My husband has weights :)
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    TURBO FIRE!!
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    You have to try this.... Fit Moms For Life http://dustinmaherfitness.com/ Good Luck..
  • Abevemi
    Abevemi Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have a 2.5 year old, anda 10 month old. I started doing BodyRock 2 weeks ago (www.bodyrock.tv), and I am loving it!
    Its all based on 12 minute workouts, quite intense (varying fitness levels are catered for).
    Both my kidlets are quite demanding, but even I am managing to find 12 minutes, 5 times a week.
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    Options
    Go to collagevideo.com. They have all kinds of workout videos. All different types of videos for all different fitness levels. They give excellent descriptions and you can watch a clip of each different workout. They aren't too expensive and you get your videos really quickly.
  • jessbennett1986
    Options
    Hey! I would say Turbo Fire if you want awesome results! I'm on week 10 and my profile pic is after 60 days. I have two more weeks and then will be posting 90 day pics. They have low intensity option too so you can get the moves down and keep up! Friend me for support if you want ( whether you get turbo fire or not!)

Jess