Sit-Ups..Will They Help?

Options
So I was walking today, and I had this idea. I am fat all over, but I really have a big stomach. Its bigger than anything else on my body. If I just do sit-ups will that help me to reduce the belly fat? I first want to lose the belly fat so my old pants fit me. How many do you think I need to do?

Replies

• amandasb11
    Options
    I have the same exact problem! I know a few years back I got into pilates & paired that with running and it helped, but I'm definitely looking for any better ideas.
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't not spot reduce, the fat comes off where it wants as you lose weight. But nothing wrong with working your core to be revealed once you lose the fat!! Abs are made in the kitchen.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but you can't spot-reduce. All you can do is eat at a sensible deficit and stay moderately active. Your body decides where it's going to burn fat from. And it tends to be first on, last off.

Do physical activity that you enjoy enough to stick with. I'm heavily into weight training right now, pun intended!:laugh:
  • Blanche76
    Blanche76 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Same issue, belly fat is really hard to lose. I've been doing at least 30 sit ups before bed and 3 months later seeing I'm noticing a difference, plus still eat right and workout. Good luck!
  • jennifergaudette
    Options
    I would say yes. Sit up and crunches. id do it till it burns. then stop and do something else then do it again till it burns. like 3 times total. and dont do them again till ur not sore at all. My boyfriend knows a TON about working out and stuff and thats what he made me do. Cuz ive gained alot of fat on my stomach. When i was younger i used to do 200 crunches everynight and a pilates DVD at home like 3 times a week and I had almost no fat there.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Situps will help, but only as a part of a larger fitness plan. Everyone stores fat differently, but for me, when I start working out, it's belly fat that drops first (the good news!). However, for truly successful fat loss, work in a good balance of challenging cardio and resistance training (you don't necessarily need weights, your own body weight is totally fine).

Basic sit-ups are pretty easy for most people to do. The key is to do something that is challenging (and keeps getting more challenging the stronger you get... which you will, and quickly). There are tons of great 1-minute core workouts out there that will benefit you a lot more than sit-ups. I'd be happy to share my routine with you if you're interested :)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    As someone else said: great abs are made in the kitchen. It really has a lot to do with what you eat, and keeping your body fat percentage low. By all means do ab work, so the muscles underneath are strong, but you won't see definition until the fat on top of them is gone. And unfortunately, you can't spot reduce. But you'll get there!
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Same problem here. Hate to say it but cardio's the way to go for fat burning. You can do several exercises to tighten the tummy muscles but the cardio is what's going to melt the fat off. I've lost 50lbs so far and only 6 inches off my waist. And it's not from lack of exercise that's for sure. I was doing 200 crunches 3 times a week for 5 months. I've found the rowing machine actually works better so I've stopped crunches all together. It's been two weeks and I've already lost 1/2 inch. Compare that to the total of 6 inches in 5 months. I also did this back in December for a month and lost 1 inch.
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Strength training mixed with cardio will get you to shed the fat. You can't spot reduce.