Re Comments: a confession & request for help...

Options
Okay, I love my MFP friends, and I want to support and encourage them the best I can. (And to any of my MFP friends who read this, I very much hope this doesn't make you value my comments any less.)

But I'm about to break my brain trying to think of encouraging comments to make. I don't want to make the same comment over and over to the same person, and I don't want a sequence of comments to different friends to start being repetitive; but my creativity is forever running short of my friends' accomplishments.

Does anyone else have this problem? How do other MFPers handle this?
(Especially those with several hundreds of MFP friends? I've got 10, and I'm hard put to keep up with them.)

Is it accepted MFP practice to just repeat the same thing for most comments? (Am I somehow making this harder than it should be?)

I've gone so far as to post a list of possible comments on my computer monitor:
Attagirl/attaboy!
Awesome!
Bravo!
Cool!
Excellent!
Good job!
Great work!
Hurrah!
Outstanding!
Wahoo!
Way to go!
Well done!
Woot!
Wowsa/Yowsa!

Any suggestions to add to this list will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Pebbles536
    Pebbles536 Posts: 199
    Options
    usually stick with;

YAY!
    WTG!
    WHOO HOOOO!

THAT'S AWESOME!

KEEP IT UP!
  • cherryObebe
    cherryObebe Posts: 189
    Options
    I think that it is really nice that you are so supportive of your friends, as well as that you are trying to come up with new ways to say words of encouragement. I would like to recommend tossing the list and just saying whatever comes to mind. Don't worry about if you used those words before. If you want it to be unique, say something personal about the person or their progress that you are commenting on. If that doesn't come easy for you, don't sweat it.

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.”
    – Theodore Seuss Giesel a.k.a. Dr. Suess
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    can't forget w00t! it's toally different than Woot!

and Woohoo!
  • KittyMerlot
    Options
    Ommmm.....Namaste......there is NO rule to rely a certain reply......ok?

Sometimes NOT replying, JUST a smile or just letting the person know before-hand that you may not reply or say HOOAH to them, just keep it real, do not sweat this, its supposed to be easy :) Happy Choices :)
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND I THINK YOU ARE MAKING IT HARDER THAN IT IS.

I USUALLY JUST COMMENT: WTG

IF I SEE SOMETHING REALLY INTERSTING I COMMENT ON IT

LIKE THE CALORIES BURNED SWIMMING OR SOMEBODY DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT LIKE...WALKING WITH KIDS AND THERE WAS ONE LAST WEEK AND I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS NOW

I SWEAR I THINK SHIFT WORK CAUSES ALZHEIMERS.. I ALWAYSSS FEEL LIKE IAM AIN A FOG
    SO I AM REALLY DOING GOOD TO GET ANY COMMENTS AT ALL OUT THERE...LOL

YOU ARE DOING GREAT MISS EVELYN:bigsmile:
  • lisa28115
    Options
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND I THINK YOU ARE MAKING IT HARDER THAN IT IS.

I USUALLY JUST COMMENT: WTG

IF I SEE SOMETHING REALLY INTERSTING I COMMENT ON IT

LIKE THE CALORIES BURNED SWIMMING OR SOMEBODY DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT LIKE...WALKING WITH KIDS AND THERE WAS ONE LAST WEEK AND I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS NOW

I SWEAR I THINK SHIFT WORK CAUSES ALZHEIMERS.. I ALWAYSSS FEEL LIKE IAM AIN A FOG
    SO I AM REALLY DOING GOOD TO GET ANY COMMENTS AT ALL OUT THERE...LOL

YOU ARE DOING GREAT MISS EVELYN:bigsmile:

I WISH THERE WAS ALIKE BUTTON LIKE ON FACEBOOK
    AND SOMETIMES THAT IS WHAT I PUT AS A COMMENT
    *LIKE*:drinker:
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I only post when I have something to say. If I am encouraging my friends, it seems to just come natural to say something that relates to their post. I don't comment on food logs or number of days logging in a row unless it's like a year or something. I mostly comment on the frustrations and victories that we all go through.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I really like to get more personal comments, so I try to do the same. I actually read what this person is up to, and congratulate them on their achievements. Sure, it takes more time, but it means so much more than just a "wtg!"
    And sometimes, I do send out generic ones, but for the most part I try to actually encourage this personal in a personal way, if that makes any sense.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    I deprive my friends of fitness support...just to switch it up a little from the usual where I don't comment on their food diaries or exercise. I'm an excellent pal.
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I also use some the comments you use also for the exercise comments. What I do like to do for some of my mfp friends who have their food diary open, is to make a personal comment based on the foods/meals. I've found some great ideas from them and appreciate their openness with the food diaries. This way I get to know the person better, it's kinda like sharing a meal. :flowerforyou:
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    You can't make personalised comments to 10 people? You must have a very busy life!
  • deweyz
    deweyz Posts: 18
    Options
    You really want to go for "creative"?
    I think the best one I saw today was "...and now she's so fit she can outrun a zombie attack."
    You could compare their weightloss to other things. "Wow, 8# down, that's like they cut off your head." or "You lost 12#, that's as much as my cat. No...the other cat, the fat one."
    One friend eats super-healthy every day. When I see her do a large amount of exercise I think: "Great work - Energy of a caffeinated squirrel on the diet of a rabbit. Impressive!"

Personally I'm not entirely sure that creative is always the way I would go. If I see something comment-worthy, I comment on it, other times, I may not. And usually something that shows my friends that I know them & pay attention -- something as simple as seeing 45 min of dancing on their exercise log and saying "How was Zumba today?"
    Occasional (not every day, or even every week, just as you think it'd help) extra supportive comments like "I'm very proud of what you're doing, keep it up" are good too.

Like Kitty& Cherry say (in different words), it's the thought that counts. :-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I only comment when I got something to say about their diary. Like "hey nice job keeping that sodium down" or "that fruit salad sounds funny". I do however use the "Awesome burn man" or "Nicely done!" alot. I dont think we can escape the routine since we have to do it for alot of people daily (I keep a small group for that same reason)
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I feel the same thing... It feels like all I do it repeat myself.. I have found it does feel better if I comment on their eating that day specifically or the exercise. That way even if it does feel repetitive to both of us at least they know I am paying attention to who and what I am commenting on..
  • izzydino
    izzydino Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    don't forget "super!", I try to remember the stickers the teachers give the elementary school kids :)... Just the simple fact you are commenting and paying attention is awesome... Do what you can. I am sure your mfp friends appreciate all you give.
  • lisa28115
    Options
    A LIST FOR YOU:flowerforyou:

Take a bow! Woop-woop!
    Exceptional! I knew you had it in you!
    Splendid! Kick *kitten*!
    Fabulous! KEEP IT UP
    Stunning! NICE
    GOOD GREAT
    GROOVY WOWSA
    Nice one! WAY 2 GO
    High Five! Spot on!
    Phenomenal! Happy-happy, joy-joy!
    Terrific! WOOT
    WELL DONE *LIKE*
    Bravo!
    Super Duper!
    You're #1!
    Stupendous!
    Outstanding!
    Excellent!
    Superb!
    Spectacular!
    Incredible!
    WTG
    Extraordinary!
    Marvelous!
    Wonderful!
    Keep up the good work!
    Two thumbs up!
    Amazing!
    Great success!
    YAY!!!
    Hooray for you!
    You're inspiring!
    First rate!
    Sensational!
    Breathtaking!
    5 star!
    Out of sight!
    A+!
    Class act!
    WOW!!!
    You should be proud!
    Going the extra mile!
    Magnificent!
    Perfect!
    Shining star
    Beautiful!
    Hats off 2 u!
    SUPER
    Lovely!
    Impressive!
    Wicked!
    Cool!
    Radical!
    Sweet!
    Awesome!
    You ROCK!
    Wowzers!
    Brilliant!
    Alright!
    YES!!!
    That's the way!
    Top notch!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Great minds :laugh: ...

I also created a post on this topic!!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/535057-tired-of-saying-wtg-say-this
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I do my encouragements in a different language everyday thanks to google translate. Today it's Croatian.

Nevjerojatan!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    WTG
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pebbles, Cherry, 76, Kitty, Lisa, fiberart, Plunder, Sunki, Jenn, Contra, Dewey, Riz, Dayna, & Izzy.

Extra thanks to TDG for the link to the adjective list - it has several useful words that I didn't see in my own thesauruses.
    You can't make personalised comments to 10 people? You must have a very busy life!
    See? I knew it. It's all me: my own social ineptitude wreaking havoc upon all about me. :bigsmile: (jk) :bigsmile:

(Just for the record, the last time I looked at my "My Home" page, my comments there included four quotes from the above list, two with the commentee's name added; and four personalized comments, two of which referenced some sort of ongoing banter.)
    ...really like to get more personal comments, so I try to do the same. I actually read what this person is up to, and congratulate them on their achievements.
    Personalized comments are easy when there's something personal to respond to. I have no trouble thinking up something specific to say about an update like -
    "FriendOfEv burned 1254 calories doing 185 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Blindfolded Polo Lacrosse, While Riding Camelback."
    I would like to recommend tossing the list and just saying whatever comes to mind.
    The problem comes when I get to the fifth or sixth or seventeenth -

"EvsBuddy completed her food and exercise diary for 03/21/2012 and was under her calorie goal"
    or
    "EyeHartEv burned 282 calories doing 43 minutes of cardio exercises, including "Cardio, Generic, Routine."

- and *absolutely* *nothing* comes to mind. :indifferent:

That's when I need my little list, and for my little list to be bigger than it is.

What I do like to do for some of my mfp friends who have their food diary open, is to make a personal comment based on the foods/meals. I've found some great ideas from them and appreciate their openness with the food diaries. This way I get to know the person better, it's kinda like sharing a meal.
    I do that a lot, too ("Mmm... kohlrabi & parsnips grilled with persimmon-chili-garlic sauce... mmm."). Although sometimes I don't want to look at someone's food diary because it'll make me envious and/or hungry. :wink: )
    (And sometimes I do get just plain tired.)
    I don't comment on food logs...
    I don't comment on their food diaries or exercise.
    I thought about not commenting on the semi-automated food diary and excercise updates. But I like it when *they* comment on *my* food diaries and exercise, so my commenting on theirs seems only fair.

(Note: Apparently I have chosen my comparatively few friends extremely well, or have been quite lucky, or both. In the time since my original post, half of them have already rushed to tell me that they don't care if my comments are repetitive or seem less than inspired, but they'd very much like me to keep on making them.
    (The other half are all on Eastern Time or GMT, and have probably been quite sensibly asleep. :yawn: )

Thanks so much, guys - the ten of you are worth a million.)