Below-the-neck-rule?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a really sore throat. However, I would like to keep up with my exercise. Usually, I do 30-40min of cardio and 20min strenght training. I don't want to be a little ***** considering it is just a sore throat but I was wondering of the heavy breathing during exercise won't make it worse?

I've read about the "below-the-neck"-rule which says that when it comes to having a cold, as long as the pain or problem is above the neck (nose, throat, eyes etc.), one can exercise.

Just wanted to ask for your opinions or maybe experiences?

Replies

• ahubbard134
    ahubbard134 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've heard that, too, but I think you should let your body tell you if you are up to it or not. Maybe try some exercise and see how you feel after 10 minutes.
  • anmei120
    anmei120 Posts: 19
    Options
    Thank you - I think that is a good plan! I'll see how it goes, if I end up feeling worse I'll just go for a long walk instead to burn a few calories.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when you're sick, rest can be more beneficial then working out...
  • laughlovelive17
    laughlovelive17 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went out for my 6 mile run. I could tell that a cold was starting. I could tell by mile two that I wasn'y feeling great or up to pace, so I took it easy and didn't push myself. I agree that your body sometimes needs more rest to try and get over sickness. Just don't push yourself, and if it makes things worse, stop!
  • toti49
    toti49 Posts: 1
    Options
    My kids had asthma when they were younger. The doctor always asked if the cough felt like it was coming from their throat or chest. If it was coming from their chest, then the lungs were involved and rest was the key so as not to make matters worse (and meds of course). If it is your throat, it may just be allergies. Go for a relaxing walk and make sure you are breathing through your nose and not your mouth while you are walking. This filters and warms the air and makes it less of an irritant to the lungs. Hope you feel better :)