Greek Yogurt

Options
My boyfriend actually came up with this idea. He knows I love yogurt, but I can't have the yogurts with fruit in them because they have too much sugar in them. So he suggested getting the plain greek yogurt (because it has fiber and protein) and adding some sugar free jelly. Tastes the same and has WAY less sugar. It's so good to have someone that's supportive and understands how your wants and needs work.

Replies

• QuixoticPanda
    QuixoticPanda Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You should add real strawberries to it! :P Yum.
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I was just lamenting over not being able to eat my favorite Greek Yogart, because it has so much sugar. I will try something like that, sounds good.
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Try adding sugar free/fat free jello pudding powder. Cheesecake and banana creme are my favorite! Only adds 20 calories or so and no sugar.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    greek gods yogurt comes in bluberry, strawberry, honey, vanilla, and plain. tastes good. dosent have great goobs of "fruit" in it:smile:
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've recently made the switch to Greek yoghurt very recently (say, a few days ago!) after better understanding the differences. Personally I don't mind the plain taste at all but friends at work tend to add in strawberries, blueberry, banana, etc etc. Cause it's quite a plain flavour to start with, there's really a lot you can do to make it suit your personal taste without turning it into something bad :)
  • marywanoKC
    marywanoKC Posts: 176
    Options
    I also add just a tiny bit of cereal to it to make it crunchy. Post sells a Banana Nut cereal that's pretty delicious, and tastes great in the Greek yogurt.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Try adding sugar free/fat free jello pudding powder. Cheesecake and banana creme are my favorite! Only adds 20 calories or so and no sugar.

...I think I love you. I've been so bored with the limited greek yogurt flavors that aren't super calorie filled.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Carbmaster yogurt--3g sugar in a whole container and lots of good flavors.
  • Kateraptor
    Options
    I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream too. I'm a huge chip and dip fiend and onion dip is my downfall. What I do is mix half a packet of onion dip into an individual container. I either eat it with baked potato chips or oven bake my own. It's so good! I also use it in smoothies. I haven't tried the flavored yet...
  • kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream too. I'm a huge chip and dip fiend and onion dip is my downfall. What I do is mix half a packet of onion dip into an individual container. I either eat it with baked potato chips or oven bake my own. It's so good! I also use it in smoothies. I haven't tried the flavored yet...
    Hmm, the yummy things you can do with greek yogurt!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I LOVE GREEK YOGURT with plain FRUIT., especially blueberries or strawberries. Yummy...
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani Greek yogurt. I usually buy the plain and add fruit, maybe some Splenda, maybe some extract (real ones...vanilla, almond, banana, etc.), light jam, raisins, cinnamon, shredded coconut...endless...:happy:
    Some ideas for what to do with Greek yogurt I read recently:
    - Add chopped cucumbers, dill and a pinch of salt for a quick Greek tsatziki.
    - Instead of milk or sweetened yogurts, toss some in your smoothie for a thicker texture.
    - As an alternative to heavy cream when making alfredo sauce for pasta.
    - Mix with chocolate syrup for an easy fruit dip for a party platter.
    - Add a pinch of salt for a rich substitute for sour cream.
    - Stir into pureed vegetable soup to add thickness and protein. (love this one!)
    - Add chopped fruit and sweetener and put in freezer
    - Use instead of mayo in chicken, tuna, and egg salad
    - Frosting for cake; just add vanilla or almond extract and a bit of sweetener (I guess this is for the cake mixes made with soda or pumpkin)
    - Add spices and a bit of milk for a quick, guilt-free creamy salad dressing.
    - As a pre-grill marinade for chicken or lamb: a bit of yogurt, za'atar, lemon zest, pepper flakes and pinch of salt.
    - Add horseradish to make a fish or shrimp dip.
    - Mix with skim milk and use instead of buttermilk for pancakes.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite dessert right now is plain greek yogurt (Trader Joe's is my favorite!) with fresh strawberries & a drizzle of honey for sweetness. Sooooo, good!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I usually add nuts and some sort of fresh fruit to mine. Sometimes a little honey, too.
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    I like putting some almonds and a little bit of agave syrup in it! Oh and some diced banana!! Friggin awesome!