not hungry enough to eat back burned cals

Options
I've been reading quite a bit that I need to eat back the calories that I burn during a workout. I have been eating filling foods and munch throughout the day on healthy snacks, veggies, fruit, protein etc. I'm usually just not hungry and at the end of the day but I have extra calories (if I don't drink wine ;)) do I need these calories if I am not hungry? Or should I be eating foods that are more rich in calories than what I have been consuming? Feel free to check my diary and let me know if you have any suggestions!! Also, I am 5'6, 130 lbs, and 24 yrs. I'm looking to get my heart in shape and tone more than I am trying to lose weight... more or less get rid of my belly and build endurance for the physical activities I enjoy!

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You are eating at a very large deficit. Why? You say you're not really trying to lose weight, so your deficit should be modest.

I recommend you eat a lot more than you're eating... not only should you meet your goal of 1600+ calories a day, you should probably increase your goal to 1800 or 1900.

To reach that goal, yes, you need to add in calorie dense foods. I suggest foods that are high in fat: avocados, nuts, oils, and so forth.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Go pick up a protein shake- you need to up your protein as well. Mix it with milk (or your soymilk) and you can double up on scoops if you're low on cals.

Add nuts- half a cup of pecans is over 300 cals. Eggs for breakfast? Cook an extra one too. More cheese and oils can help add cals with little bulk.

Once your body becomes used to eating healthy (ie- enough nutrients) you'll be able to eat back exercise cals easily and naturally.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've been reading quite a bit that I need to eat back the calories that I burn during a workout. I have been eating filling foods and munch throughout the day on healthy snacks, veggies, fruit, protein etc. I'm usually just not hungry and at the end of the day but I have extra calories (if I don't drink wine ;)) do I need these calories if I am not hungry? Or should I be eating foods that are more rich in calories than what I have been consuming? Feel free to check my diary and let me know if you have any suggestions!! Also, I am 5'6, 130 lbs, and 24 yrs. I'm looking to get my heart in shape and tone more than I am trying to lose weight... more or less get rid of my belly and build endurance for the physical activities I enjoy!

Eating more increases your metabolism which in turn burns more fat. May be something to consider, although I didn't plug your numbers into the calculator so I can't say what you should do.
  • BlooQKazoo
    Options
    I never eat back my cals, and I'm just fine. I usually have trouble reaching 1200 (and I burn between 900 and 1200 calories every day in the gym). :P My weight loss is fine (2-3 pounds a week), my energy is normal, and my metabolism hasn't crashed and burned. If you're full, you're full! You'll be fine if you don't eat.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to get my heart in shape and tone more than I am trying to lose weight... more or less get rid of my belly and build endurance for the physical activities I enjoy!

'Toning' up IS losing weight. Fat, specifically. To 'tone' you need to reduce your body fat %.
    Judging from your food diary, specifically your calorie intake and exercise, you're not going to be successful in your goal, sorry.

You don't want to be eating any less than your BMR. You need to be eating back your exercise calories, and I'd recommend weight training if you haven't already started.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

Eating more increases your metabolism which in turn burns more fat. May be something to consider, although I didn't plug your numbers into the calculator so I can't say what you should do.

If this was true people would not get fat from eating too much