Dumbbells

D446
D446 Posts: 266 Member
I bought a set of dumbbells and I am really inexperienced with weights. I don't go to the gym and I was hoping that these would be a good substitute for the machines at the gym? I want to start trying to build some muscle, but I really have no idea with what I need to do? Please tell me some great exercises that I can do, and how many reps and sets are most effective! Or even YOUR strength training routine (if you don't use gym equipment) would be really helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    I bought a set of dumbbells and I am really inexperienced with weights. I don't go to the gym and I was hoping that these would be a good substitute for the machines at the gym? I want to start trying to build some muscle, but I really have no idea with what I need to do? Please tell me some great exercises that I can do, and how many reps and sets are most effective! Or even YOUR strength training routine (if you don't use gym equipment) would be really helpful. Thanks!

Are these dumbbells that can have weight added to them like selectorized ones or ones that can be plate loaded? Progressively adding weight over time is the best way to gain strength and add/preserve muscle.

It's probably possible to make a whole program out of bodyweight stuff and dumbbells. I would do a Dumbbell Floor/Bench Press or Push-Ups, some Squats or Lunges, possibly Dumbbell Deadlifts (never done them personally), and a Dumbbell Shoulder Press for the core lifts of your routine. Also, if you can get a Pull-Up Bar, that would be another invaluable piece of equipment. Even if you can't do a full pull-up or chin-up right now, you can use a chair to help you up and slowly lower yourself down.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Bodybuilding has a great list of exercises you can do with dumbbells: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Just sort by area you want to work and then unclick everything but dumbells on the left. Lots of great exercises on there with videos and photos for each to show you how to do them.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Bodybuilding has a great list of exercises you can do with dumbbells: http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Just sort by area you want to work and then unclick everything but dumbells on the left. Lots of great exercises on there with videos and photos for each to show you how to do them.

They also have that in app version :D Completely free too!
  • D446

Are these dumbbells that can have weight added to them like selectorized ones or ones that can be plate loaded? Progressively adding weight over time is the best way to gain strength and add/preserve muscle.

It's probably possible to make a whole program out of bodyweight stuff and dumbbells. I would do a Dumbbell Floor/Bench Press or Push-Ups, some Squats or Lunges, possibly Dumbbell Deadlifts (never done them personally), and a Dumbbell Shoulder Press for the core lifts of your routine. Also, if you can get a Pull-Up Bar, that would be another invaluable piece of equipment. Even if you can't do a full pull-up or chin-up right now, you can use a chair to help you up and slowly lower yourself down.

They can be Plate loaded. Thanks guys for the great information, I am not even sure what half those exercises are, but I will definitely be doing lots of google searches and trying to set up a program. I am still unsure about how many reps and sets, but from what I've read on the MSG boards, the general consensus is you should lift as much as you can doing 8 reps, really struggling on the last couple, and two sets?
  • Elizabeth_C34

They can be Plate loaded. Thanks guys for the great information, I am not even sure what half those exercises are, but I will definitely be doing lots of google searches and trying to set up a program. I am still unsure about how many reps and sets, but from what I've read on the MSG boards, the general consensus is you should lift as much as you can doing 8 reps, really struggling on the last couple, and two sets?

I prefer shooting for 8 reps in 3 sets with 60-90 second break between. You are right. The last lift in the set should be difficult but not impossible. It'll take a while to gauge what your weights should be for certain lifts so just be patient and work on getting your form correct. The videos on BB.com will help a lot in showing you how to do the lifts correctly.

If you are looking for a program, you can design your own, or you can look into already structured lifting programs. BB.com has a few and there are many more out there. Generally, people who lift usually target 1-2 areas of the body per workout. For example, Mondays could be chest/shoulder days. Wednesdays, Arms, abs, lower back. Friday could be legs. Generally, you don't want to hit the muscle groups too often. Your muscle needs down time to properly repair itself. Some people will work in supersets working opposing muscle groups in alternating sets as well. For example, do one set of bicep curls, then one set of tricep dips, then bicep curls, then tricep dips, then bicep curls, then tricep dips with little to no down time in between. This keeps your heart rate up during the exercise as opposed to traditional lifts where you do a set then break then do another of the same exercise, etc.

I will warn you though the first few days of lifting heavy will make you very very sore. Just stick with it. The soreness will get less and less as you go along.

Good luck to you :)
  • D446
    Thanks for breaking this down for me, I literally didn't even know where to start, but this gives me the basics I will need :)). I'm excited to start, I love Having sore muscles!

I also had a look at that website and it looks great. It's bed time here sO I will check it out properly tomorrow and pick what exercises to start with.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way, your doing great!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Thanks for breaking this down for me, I literally didn't even know where to start, but this gives me the basics I will need :)). I'm excited to start, I love Having sore muscles!

I also had a look at that website and it looks great. It's bed time here sO I will check it out properly tomorrow and pick what exercises to start with.

Congratulations on your weight loss by the way, your doing great!

I'm so glad I could help! Have a great night.

Thank you very much. It's been a long hard road for me, but I'm getting there!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    bump
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    The 8x3 advice is great, but at the beginning go much lighter, 12-15, to practice and learn proper form. Very important to do this for a couple weeks both for acclimatization and avoiding injury.
  • hiswifetheirmommy
    hiswifetheirmommy Posts: 30 Member

Thanks for posting this site! Just what I needed. :)
  • My wife and I have found this to be a great workout. It can be performed by men and women, there are additional notes listed for women.
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

The article is by Steve Shaw and he has NUMEROUS other good articles on that site as well.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Youll have no limits because of the plate loading.

Squats
    Presses (bench, military,
    Rows
    Pulls (pull ups and pullovers)

These are core lifts and should be the major go to ones at least 3 times a week.

Curls
    Extensions
    Flys

These can be added to any of the core days but if you lift heavy enough you shouldnt really need them for a while.

You can adapt the Stronglifts and starting Strength programs to dumbbells and make those programs work for you.
    Both programs use primarily compound moves with some added accessory lifts.
  • jnlynn
    jnlynn Posts: 101
    Thanks for everyones post...should help me too!
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    I'm wanting to start this as well. Thanks for the info!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Lower body- dumbell lunges and walking lunges are great for the legs and glutes.
  • D446
    .I forgot to say, I actually have a bad knee. I dislocated it back in September (it came out and went straight back in). I can't really tell you exactly what I did, as I live in Australia and am going through the public health system which takes forever to get MRI scans, although I did have an X-ray and there was no bone damage. It is much better now, only swells a little every now and then if I maybe turn on it the wrong way. I am a bit afraid to do lunges and squats as I am not sure if this could re-injure it. My thighs and butt ( I want a huge big round one) are my worst spot, ideally want to build those areas, any low impact exercises that anyone has found useful?