Weigh-in

Options
Hi, my brother and I have recently started on MFP. We were talking about when would be the best time to weigh-in, I thought first thing in the morning was the best time but my brother thinks the evening is best. PLEASE can you help settle this for us thanx. :smile:

Replies

• canary986
    canary986 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    From what I've learnt, it's best first thing in the morning!
  • niqi85
    niqi85 Posts: 28
    Options
    I would definitely say first thing in the morning. I feel that it is more "accurate" if you weigh in first thing in the morning rather than waiting until evening after you've eaten, worked out etc. Which ever you choose I would suggest sticking with it. Hope that helps!
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it matters as long as you do it the same time each day / week / whatever. If you choose morning, stick to the morning for each WI as your weight can change over the day and you'll get mixed results.
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Definatly morning!! (after you've been to the toilet if possible!!) :blushing:

Pick 1 day a week, and weigh that morning, each week! :)

Good luck !
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    In my experience I weigh less in the mornings than in the evenings, I also advocate weighing in once a week max. Your weight will fluctuate a lot from day to day depending on food & fluid intake, weighing in once a week has a better chance of flattening these peaks & troughs. Also - i think it's well worth measuring yourself, waist, chest, arms, thigh etc as the scale will only tell you half the story, especially of you plan on exercising too.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say it matters as long as you do it the same time each day / week / whatever. If you choose morning, stick to the morning for each WI as your weight can change over the day and you'll get mixed results.

^ THIS is the answer

Your weigh ins are to determine progress on your weight loss journey I assume? Therefore it's important you are weighing in under comparable conditions. Water weight is so massively variable based on workouts, caloric volume, carbohydrate intake and (to a lesser degree) salt intake and drives fluctuations that cause many people a lot of angst (evidenced by their posts on these boards - "I worked by butt off these past 5 days and I GAINED 2lbs".

So pick a day of the week that follows part of your consistent routine (e.g. if Fridays are sometimes a day off for you where you hit the town for dinner and beers and sometimes they are a diet day where you work out then Saturday is NOT the day to take comparable measures).

Hope that is helpful. Feel free to inbox me if I can elaborate further.
  • 43freckles
    43freckles Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody thanx very much for your replies. I weigh-in every Saturday morning and after all of your advice i'm going to stick with that. I will pass your comments on to my brother. Cheers to you all. :happy:
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Either way, be consistent in the time of day. I weigh in the morning.
  • ANDREA0108
    Options
    i would say in the morning since you haven't eaten anything. i will usually do it before getting in shower, with no clothes on, after using the restroom and an empty stomach.
  • 43freckles
    43freckles Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanx for your reply, that is exactly what i do now so i'm going to continue doing what i'm doing. Your support is so appreciated. :happy:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I weigh in in the afternoon usually. I stop at the gym to use their scale, because I'm too cheap to buy a good one for home. If it's a pound off because of fluid or food, well, that just means I'll have a bigger loss next time, and what I'm interested in is long-term trends.

Edited: I really don't think it matters though as long as you're consistent.