Working out and sleep

Options
Just wondering how much sleep everyone's getting? Do you need more when you're working out?

I'm feeling tired to the point that I'm struggling to concentrate, I have a young child so I except that sleep can be hard to come by at times.

I'm probably geting between 5.5 - 6.5 hours a night, I know 8 hours is the recommended but wondered if anyone else does ok with this?

Replies

• azjlmar123
    azjlmar123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I work nights so for me to get 5 hours of sleep after work is a big deal for me! I am usually way more tired on days that I do weight lifting than cardio days. Thankfully I only work 4 nights a week so i can get 3 nights of LOTS of sleep to play catch up. I am doing p90x for the first time and the first couple of days really whipped me!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I cant function without a least 8-9hours sleep, 5.5hours is way to low, you must be tired.
  • jegg0425
    jegg0425 Posts: 37
    Options
    I've been having difficulty sleeping. I sleep about every other night. Part of that is a very demanding job and also trying to write a graduate thesis. But when I try to relax my mind is racing and I give up on sleep after about 2 hours. Any suggestions?
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    im struggling to sleep at minute because of hot flushes, i struggled with exercise this morning but i did it, lol. x
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm terrible at actually going to bed and I'm an early riser, like today woke at 7am on day off

The bags under my eyes show I'm tired but I'm not getting enough

Having said that I feel energetic 99% of the time through working out
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I find that I can't go to be earlier than 10pm, if I do I wake up around 2 o3 and can't go back to sleep. So on work nights I get between 5.5 and 6 because I have to get up early for work. If I don't work then I get about 7 to 8. I do think that sleep or lack of does affect weight loss, but my sleep habits are what they are.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work nights. Sleep is critical for me. Otherwise I'll over eat to compensate to help me stay awake. I average 6-8 hrs. On a rare occasion I will skip a workout if I am too tired to get my sleep.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My work and daily schedule is such that I get up at 3:30am and workout before work. I get around 5-6 hours a night and I function good on that amount. I usually sleep late at least 1 day on the weekend to make up for the week, kinda like a cheat day for sleep. Been doing this for about a year so far. We'll see how long I can keep it up! LOL
  • azjlmar123
    Options
    I cant function without a least 8-9hours sleep, 5.5hours is way to low, you must be tired.

I usually have lots of energy. Wednesday nights are my Fridays so I usually am most tired by this day. I have more energy than normal people - I cant do caffiene or any type of stimulants as that sends me completely over the top - cant even function and do simple things like say a complete sentence without stumbling over my words! :laugh:
  • azjlmar123
    Options
    My work and daily schedule is such that I get up at 3:30am and workout before work. I get around 5-6 hours a night and I function good on that amount. I usually sleep late at least 1 day on the weekend to make up for the week, kinda like a cheat day for sleep. Been doing this for about a year so far. We'll see how long I can keep it up! LOL

I've been doing "cheat" sleep days for almost 3 years now. I tell ya - I really look forward to those nights of 8-10 hours of uninterrupted sleep!
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is really interesting and glad to know others have similar sleep patterns.

I'm physically energetic, I cycle 6 miles each way to work, it's just a real struggle to focus mentally if that makes sense.
  • nmullins81
    nmullins81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it, but many of my friends had tried Melatonin and had great success with it. :yawn:
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how much sleep everyone's getting? Do you need more when you're working out?

I'm feeling tired to the point that I'm struggling to concentrate, I have a young child so I except that sleep can be hard to come by at times.

I'm probably geting between 5.5 - 6.5 hours a night, I know 8 hours is the recommended but wondered if anyone else does ok with this?

Everyone has different needs, it ranges from around 7 to 11 hours. I have been getting little sleep lately and I feel like crap before working out, and it sucks.
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ohhh man I need so much sleep. 9-10 hours atleast. It's pretty much impossible to get nightly (I have night classes and early EARLY morning classes) so I take a lot of naps and on the weekends I will usually sleep away a day lol.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I really struggle to get enough sleep....I have no problem getting to sleep, its just staying alseep that's the issue! Not sure what the answer is, but good to know other peeps have same issues
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I go to sleep when tired and wake up naturally 9 months of the year, 3 months I need an alarm to get me up for work.

Right now I am going to sleep around 11-12 and getting up at 5-6 naturally, around xmas I was going to sleep at 10 and wanting to sleep until 10 but had an alarm at 7.30 so I could get up for work.

In the height of summer ill be happy with 4 hours sleep , in the winter id be shattered.
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    When i started tracking my sleep, that is when i noticed that 90% of the time I go off plan is because I've had 2 days in a row with less than 6 hours sleep. I aim for 7. My sleep is very important to me but with 2 young kids it doesn't always happen.

I don't sleep more when I work out.
  • Tatyanne
    Tatyanne Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

8h is the perfect goal to me...however to work out before going to work i need to wake up at 6am, and it's almost impossible to me to be in bed at 10 pm every day...so usually I sleep 7h/night.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Usually 6 to 8 hours. I can manage 6 and still workout pretty well. But with 8 hours, i'm super charged!
    If you're having trouble sleeping, try valerian root
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Running on 15hrs over past 4 nights.

I function fine if its < 3 hours, otherwise I need at least 9, if not more to funciton.

I struggle to function on normal sleep hours though, I can sleep 11 hours and still wake up tired.