HRM- get one w/chest strap or not??

Options
amymt10
amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
I've seen some HRM with and w/o a chest strap, which is better?? I'm only considering one w/o a chest strap as I think it would annoy me. What's your opinion? I am looking at the Polar HRM's.

Replies

• mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love my chest strap. I can run and glance up at the monitor on the treadmill to see where I am so it is convenient for me. I thought it would be annoying too, but I don't even know I am wearing it now. I have actually left the gym and gone home before I realize it is still on lol.
  • sixfootaliw
    Options
    From what I read before I bought mine, the ones with a chest strap are more accurate. Don't worry about it not being comfortable. When I wear mine it sits right under my bra and I don't notice it.

Ali
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    All Polars come with a Chest strap.. and don't work unless you are wearing the chest strap.

Honestly, they are no more annoying than wearing a bra.. so if you can do that, then you can handle the chest strap.

If you really don't want a chest strap then don't buy an HRM because they will not be accurate unless they have the chests strap.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    the ones without the chest strap aren't accurate.... been there done that, made that mistake!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar ft4 with chest strap because it is more accurate, I have it on all morn and can't
    tell the difference....
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    I got the Polar ft4 with chest strap because it is more accurate, I have it on all morn and can't
    tell the difference....

This ^^^ Don't buy one without the chest strap
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    with, much more accurate, most of the wrist ones don't take your HR for the full duration, only when you push the button.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have one from Target with the chest strap and I love it.
  • EarthMuffin2012
    EarthMuffin2012 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    chest strap...usually more accurate, and after a while you don't notice it
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    They say that the ones with the chest straps are more accurate.
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    definitely w/chest strap. A few minutes after I put mine on I don't even notice it.
  • golfpro21
    Options
    I found last year's model FT-7 at a ****'s Sporting Goods for $60. It has the chest strap, which you will completely forget you are even wearing. Just make sure that the strap is tight enough, or you'll feel it sliding down as you work out. I definitely recommend the FT-7 because it keeps your average hr, max hr, let's you know if you are in cardio hr or fat burn hr at a glance, and calculates calories burned. If you can find the older model (which is no different, except for color), I would definitely grab it up.
  • mrandolph69
    mrandolph69 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    with, much more accurate, most of the wrist ones don't take your HR for the full duration, only when you push the button.

^^^^^
    This was the main reason I got my Polar FT7 (which only works with the chest strap.) I love my Polar FT7! The chest strap is really no big deal. Like other people have said, once it is on, you don't even notice it. Do not get one without a chest strap; you will regret it.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Go with the chest strap. The material is soft and it sits right below your bra line without issue, and isn't noticeable under clothing unless it's vacuum-tight.
  • 4FitChris
    4FitChris Posts: 10
    Options
    Great Question and even better answers. I'm a day away from buying one myself. Didn't even know there were HRM with chest straps. Looks like the FT-7 at ****'s Sporting Goods is the way to go.?.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are worried about not liking the chest strap (and are female), Polar makes a sports bra that takes the place of the chest strap. We just spotted that on Amazon last night, so all I know is that they exist.
  • jpinge
    jpinge Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You have to get the chest strap if you are looking for an accurate tool. I thought the strap would bother me but it definitely does not. I have the Polar Ft4
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Chest strap. I have the Polar F4 and love it.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    if you're female you won't even notice the extra strap, it feels just like a bra strap. it's actually less tight than my normal bra. lol
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Definately go with the ones with chest strap...I bought on recently w/o it & it can't be accurate b/c it can say that I sweat & die for 30 minutes but only burn 28 cals which I know is not right...I am taking mine back & getting one with the strap today...You want it to be accurate so you really know what you are burning & the wrist ones are not accurate alone.

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter