Meat eater's limited choices

Options

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're an equal partner I presume. Demand equal consideration in your own home and fill the fridge with whatever you want.

This. My friend is a hippie and lives in a hippie house, but has to eat meat due to allergies to legumes and gluten. She has her own part of the fridge and freezer for all her meat. Tell your wife to get over it. I mean, I understand if maybe she's not cool with you putting a hog's head in there even though they make great soup, but really.
    Also, the whole sodium is bad thing is a big sham. It doesn't even make sense that a big man and a small woman would have the same limit.
  • vancil01
    vancil01 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Also, the whole sodium is bad thing is a big sham. It doesn't even make sense that a big man and a small woman would have the same limit.

Yeah, I know sodium is a necessity for specific bodily functions, however, too much sodium can have adverse effects and although I do not show any signs of this at all, I do not want it to get that way.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am sure the OP's wife means well...but...

I have been either a vegetarian or pescatarian for 20 years and I don't limit my husband's food choices. I'm fortunate that he is happy to eat whatever I cook, and I return the favor by making a steak for him or low - sodium bacon when he wants it.

If I come home to find he's brought home leftover chicken from lunch, or purchased ham to make sandwiches, it has no bearing on me...it's his body. I want him to make healthy choices - that is all I ask.

So...I'd say get low sodium lunchmeat, but why would processed meat be his wife's "approved" meat choice for him? I'd rather roast a free-range chicken or make some antibiotic-free/free-range burgers for my husband than have him eat crap-processed stuff...
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I was harsh so I'm going to make it a little nicer.
    Just because she doesn't eat it doesn't mean she can make everyone else. It's ridiculous of her in my opinion to do that. She's a grown woman she can NOT eat it if it's in the house. Otherwise she needs to seriously work on her will power.

You're an adult. It's your body. Eat the meat you want to eat and she can get over it.

I'm vegan but I cook burgers for my boyfriend. It's his body/his food. I have no business telling him what to eat.
  • Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to comment but after reading other posts I feel the need to comment and tell you to man up.

Put your foot down and demand the same respect you've given her.

Not sure where you are but if you can track down some venison it's an excellent lean red meat. I usually shoot my own each year so I can't tell you where to look to buy it. Other than local butcher shops.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You're an equal partner I presume. Demand equal consideration in your own home and fill the fridge with whatever you want.
    ^^ This.

However, if you are stuck with lunch meat, and want to lower sodium....and this isn't real appetizing, you can soak out a lot of the sodium by putting in water and letting it soak. It is a common practice with salted meats.

That said it is probably more economical to buy chicken breast and cook it than to buy lunch meat. Here Chicken breast is about $2/lb and lunch meat is $3+/lb.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I typically only eat chicken because red meat doesn't sit well with me, but I still make it for my husband because he likes it. I wouldn't ever tell him that certain foods aren't allowed in the house... sorry, with certain exceptions- LOL like lamb and veal. But that works because he doesn't like them anyway.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I am strictly vegetarian, my husband isn't. I do all the cooking, so he doesn't have meat in the house most of the time. I wouldn't appreciate him cooking meat in my kitchen. Luckily he is sensible enough to realise that is isn't ideal to have meat every meal anyway, so when he is at home, he eats healthy vegetarian food, and when he is at work and when we eat out, he has meat, if he feels like it.

His kitchen too!

I agree it is his too.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Will she not let you have meat in the house because of the treatment of the animals? If so can you have meat that you bought from a local farm that treats their animals like they should be treated or even meat you or a friend might have hunted for?

I am a pescetarian and my fiance is not but I don't mind him having meat in the house because we know where it comes from and that it lived a good life and was slaughtered compassionately the way it should be. I would ask her about that.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I am sure the OP's wife means well...but...

I have been either a vegetarian or pescatarian for 20 years and I don't limit my husband's food choices. I'm fortunate that he is happy to eat whatever I cook, and I return the favor by making a steak for him or low - sodium bacon when he wants it.

If I come home to find he's brought home leftover chicken from lunch, or purchased ham to make sandwiches, it has no bearing on me...it's his body. I want him to make healthy choices - that is all I ask.

So...I'd say get low sodium lunchmeat, but why would processed meat be his wife's "approved" meat choice for him? I'd rather roast a free-range chicken or make some antibiotic-free/free-range burgers for my husband than have him eat crap-processed stuff...

This!!
  • vancil01
    Options
    Well, this turned out to be a fun topic! :) I think I will just work for the low sodium stuff for now, then go after the frozen chicken breast.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Good morning folks!

I am a meat eater, I love steaks and cheeseburgers and hot dogs, etc. etc....so my now wife decided she wanted to go "pescatarian" a few years ago and I agreed to not cook or keep meat in the house, however, I do order meat dishes when we go out to eat....sorry had to give a bit of background before my question.

I have finally convinced her to let me have some meat in the house, but it has been in the form of high sodium lunch meat. It is great for low cal, low fat and high protein, but the sodium levels are outstanding....like 670mg per 2oz. serving! So, I eat 2oz. for lunch and 2oz. for snack later and that puts me well on my way to the 2300mg goal for the day.

Does anyone have any advice for a person in my situation, where I have limited meat choices to keep in my home...to take to work and eat?

Thanks!

Why can you not keep meat in the house? It's not like she will eat it as she has decided to go pescatarian.

However, ensure you keep the meat well away from her foods otherwise it will be similar to giving a vegetarian a knife for their dinner that has just been used to cut beef.

Seriously, don't limit yourself just because somebody else has changed their eating habits, there can be mutual respect from both parties here, you should be allowed whatever meat you wish.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    The lunch meats wouldn't be too good for your asthma.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.
    Tell wife you are now bovatarian and she must respect your food choice.

What a WHOLE cow? Need a bloody big fridge

:noway: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Di3012
    Options
    Buy second fridge.
    Put in basement.
    Buy cow from local farm.
    Put in basement fridge.
    Tell wife you are now bovatarian and she must respect your food choice.

Why should he put his fridge in the basement? Why can't he keep his heifer in a little fridge next to the bed?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    lol, that sounds like the right plan to me
  • vancil01
    Options

Explica me por favor? :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    don't mean to sound like a ***** .. but if you can respect her food choices when isn't she returning the favor..?

My thought exactly. When I decided to ecome fit I didn't force my ex to stop eating chips and cookies.

Me, too. Buy what you want. She doesn't have to eat it.
  • FitLink
    Options

Explica me por favor? :)

Nitrates and nitrites in lunch meat can aggravate asthma.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I am strictly vegetarian, my husband isn't. I do all the cooking, so he doesn't have meat in the house most of the time. I wouldn't appreciate him cooking meat in my kitchen. Luckily he is sensible enough to realise that is isn't ideal to have meat every meal anyway, so when he is at home, he eats healthy vegetarian food, and when he is at work and when we eat out, he has meat, if he feels like it.

His kitchen too!

Agreed. Why should she decide he can't cook meat (or anything else) in the kitchen if he likes? I can't imagine marrying a woman who would not ALLOW me to cook whatever I wanted in my own kitchen. And it IS his kitchen too.

And just because it's not healthy to eat meat at every meal doesn't mean it's somehow automatically healthy to eat meat at NO meals. While there are healthy vegetarian diets, there are also healthy omnivorous diets. And there are unhealthy vegetarian diets in addition to unhealthy omnivorous diets. Vegetarian is not automatically healthy. I see no reason he can't eat healthy meat at home.