Throwing up...

Options
jdp21
jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
Okay! So, first of all, I should start off by saying that this isn't me asking if throwing up is the best option to lose weight. Haha. Because I know it's not; that's not what this is about.

This is about sometimes feeling like you have to throw up after going for a jog or something similar. Which is how I feel right now. It's been about a couple weeks since I've jogged because I've been busy with moving and work, so I'm guessing it has something to do with having pushed myself too hard? Can anyone shed some light on this?

Replies

• 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I've heard about people who work out super hard throwing up (football three-a-days, biggest loser, etc) I'm not sure what causes it though. Interesting ... maybe your pregnant? haha just joking!
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    i would DEF say its from pushing yourself too hard...ease your way back into it
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    This is from our member board in our studio.

Nausea during or after a run can happen for a few different reasons. If you ate less than an hour before your run, that's too close to your workout. It's OK to eat a light snack about 90 minutes before your run. If you eat something that takes longer to digest, like fatty or fried foods, you should give yourself at least two hours.
    You might also feel nauseous during or after a run because you're dehydrated. Nausea is an early symptom of dehydration . To avoid dehydration, the general rule of thumb is that you should take in 6 to 8 ounces of fluid every 20 minutes during your runs. During longer workouts (90 minutes or more), some of your fluid intake should include a sports drink (like Gatorade) to replace lost sodium and other minerals (electrolytes). And don't forget to rehydrate with water or a sports drink after your run. If your urine is dark yellow after your run, you need to keep rehydrating. It should be a light lemonade color.

Another possible cause of nausea during or after running is that you simply ran too hard and overexerted yourself. One way to avoid this problem is to make sure you are warmed-up before starting an intense run and to run at a pace that you're ready for.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    My vote is for pregnancy! :laugh:
  • Scottslass
    Scottslass Posts: 76
    Options
    Im not an expert on this but try walking first and then work up to the jogging. You might feel better doing it that way! Just a thought

:flowerforyou:
  • jdp21
    jdp21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and think that it's a combination of having eaten too soon before my workout, because it was definitely less than an hour before I went (big meal, too) and also having pushed myself too hard. I wasn't certain of the food thing though, so I'm glad someone's given me some info on that. :-)

Although I must admit, I WAS suspecting it was because I was pregnant... lmao.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I had a hard workout yesterday--I was over 100% of my max heart rate for a few minutes and in a "red zone" area for about 10-15 minutes out of 50. I definitely felt queasy. Your experience could be like others have stated and you could have over-exerted yourself.

You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor if you don't already have one--that way you can determine your exertion level (based on your heart, not your perception of exertion--at no time yesterday did I feel like I was over-exerting myself!) and maybe eliminate that as a possibility of the cause of your nausea.

Cheers,
    Deborah
  • PinkShoes
    PinkShoes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact reason for that, but I do know that it can happen when you really push yourself physically/get over-heated/over-exert yourself. I know the feeling you're talking about - the same thing has happened to me. Also, my best friend ran cross country for years and this would happen to many of the other runners - and they were definately used to running from all of the training they had to do.
    So again, I'm not sure of the reasons for having this feeling after working out really hard, but I do know it's somewhat common.

Do you drink a lot of water immediately after running? It's definately a good thing to drink water after a workout to re-hydrate yourself, but don't drink it too fast. This can make you feel nausious (sp?)...so just drink the water slowly.

133914.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i would really think it was the eating too much and too close to the workout. you only took a couple of weeks off, so overexertion wouldn't be as much. i've eaten my snack too close and had stomach cramps and nausea sometimes too.
  • SOBAY311
    SOBAY311 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm going to go ahead and think that it's a combination of having eaten too soon before my workout, because it was definitely less than an hour before I went (big meal, too) and also having pushed myself too hard. I wasn't certain of the food thing though, so I'm glad someone's given me some info on that. :-)

Although I must admit, I WAS suspecting it was because I was pregnant... lmao.

I made the same mistake when I got back into working out a couple weeks ago. I had a decent sized breakfast and then an hour later had a pretty intense workout. I thought for sure I was going to lose my stomach.