Got the rumbles.. :(

Options
Hiya guys! I have just started my diet today, i am so hungry though :grumble: I have eaten like:
Breakfast:Toast
Lunch: Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and hallumi cheese), an orange and a brunch bar..
Not had dinner yet... Does anyone have any tips for 'ignoring' the hunger, because i dont want to give in!
:flowerforyou: x

Replies

• molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should ignore it...yourbody is telling you something. Before you eat anything though, have a big glass of water, sometimes you can be thristy instead of actually hungry. You haven't really taken in very much food yet, nothing very filling at all, no wonder you're hungry.
  • jlhcrh3
    jlhcrh3 Posts: 314
    Options
    yeah, losing weight doesn't mean you have to starve! I feel like I eat all day long (3 meals and 2 snacks) but I am always within my calories and I have been losing! But drink water water water and when you're body says it's hungry, feed it!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    Where are your snacks? I try to eat 5 times a day. Have a banana with breakfast or an hour after. Munch on some fresh veggies, a healthy trail mix with some nuts. The breakdown for my day ends up being 300-400 calories each for breakfast, lunch and dinner and the remainder of my calories are for snacks. Don't make yourself go hungry but be very aware of what you eat when you respond to the hunger signal! Crackers, chips or other crap isn't going to help you at all so make sure what you're eating counts.
  • amberc82
    amberc82 Posts: 25
    Options
    You need to eat more filling foods.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    When I first started I wasn't sure exactly what to eat and I was always hungry too! My stomach grumbled all the time. :ohwell:
    To be honest, once you get the hang of counting your cals, you'll start to figure out what foods you can eat more of or what foods you can replace instead of the foods you're eating now. For breakfast, I started off eating just toast too, but then I did some research and also asked other MFPers what they ate and I found I can eat more foods that have the same amount of cals as the foods I was eating when I first started.:smile:
    Sometimes, when my stomach starts growling I make a cup of hot tea. It usually holds me over until my next meal.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • ElliePeace
    ElliePeace Posts: 18
    Options
    :smile: i have my dinner to come though... It is just in between meals when i get really hungry, but i am trying to break the snacking habit! Water does help, i drink gallons of it! Its hard because sometimes i 'think' that i am hungry and i eat, that is what has made me put on weight :grumble:
    Thankyou :flowerforyou: x
  • ElliePeace
    Options
    I try to vary what i have for breakfast, sometimes porridge or cereal! X
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    :smile: i have my dinner to come though... It is just in between meals when i get really hungry, but i am trying to break the snacking habit! Water does help, i drink gallons of it! Its hard because sometimes i 'think' that i am hungry and i eat, that is what has made me put on weight :grumble:
    actually having small healthy snacks inbetween meals could help boost your metabolism...
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think you need ot beef up your b-fast and add in snacks
    I came here Jan 08 and lost almost 30 pounds in about 4 mnths eating about 1490 cals a day
    I also think you need to listen to your body.....if u eat the right amount/tight things you shouldn't be hungry

I would try some oatmeal for b-fast or whole wheat toast and an apple with string cheese
    You can have all of that for only about 300 cals and it should do a better job at holding you over
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea helps kill hunger. I do all sorts of teas and they work well.
    Sliced cucumbers or strawberries are very low cal and satisfying. It would be snacking but the calories are so low it wouldn't be bad.
  • jlhcrh3
    Options
    sapporo, i just had to say your picture is awesome!! :laugh: i love it!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Hiya guys! I have just started my diet today, i am so hungry though :grumble: I have eaten like:
    Breakfast:Toast
    Lunch: Salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and hallumi cheese), an orange and a brunch bar..
    Not had dinner yet... Does anyone have any tips for 'ignoring' the hunger, because i dont want to give in!
    :flowerforyou: x

How about eating more- you just ate toast for breakfast I would be starving too-
    Try eating decent meals and good snacks- So give yourself 300-400 calories for Breakfast Lunch and Dinner
    and then 100-200 for snacks-
    Eat something every 2.5 hours you should never be HUNGRY if you do that. and if you are too full to eat your snack than your previous meal was prob to large .
    Good luck- And your lunch needs a protein and some form of a complex carb
  • alltheway23
    alltheway23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Snacking is different than having a snack, actually think of it as a mini meal, should be something with protein and carbs (the good kinds of course)
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I agree with everyone. I had a bad problem with snacking and thought I needed to break it, too. But the real problem is what I was eating for snack. So, I plan out my whole day, including snacks. This way I never mindlessly wander to the kitchen or a vending machine, expecting myself to make a healthy choice when I'm already starving. I have found that if I eat several snacks throughout the day I'm much more likely to stick to my meal plan for dinner. Likewise, if I don't eat snacks, I'm much more likely to eat crap or binge. For example, last week I planned very poorly and didn't have enough food with me while I was out and about. By the time I was done with everything I needed to do, it was dinner time and I was STARVING. Taco Bell beckoned me, even though I had a healthy dinner planned to make at home. I didn't kill my day but I could have done much better and gotten a lot more food for the calories had I stuck with my plan. Just a little food for thought when considering if you really want to stop snacking or not! :flowerforyou:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, the first day was the hardest! Over the course of the first week or so, each day got easier. Hang in there!
  • Reenee
    Reenee Posts: 3
    Options
    My favorite snack to get me through an afternoon is a hardboiled egg. We have a hard boiled egg cooker at my office, so if I need something in the afternoon, I'll put one in there. It's got enough protien to hold me over for the next few hours.

Tea always helps too, I would recomend Lipton's Vanilla Caramel Truffle. It's like a dessert with no sugar!
  • chulie
    chulie Posts: 282
    Options
    ....and you have to re-condition your mind to realize when you are eating cause your bored..or because you think your hungry...snacking helps...but make healthy choices, lots of water for sure as well. Also, get out and move, if you are bored and eating, then go for a walk, if your still hungry when you come back, then eat!! Like someone else said, listen to your body but make sure it's your body talking and not your mind trying to trick you.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with adding something to your breakfast. Also try to make sure the toast you are eating is one with a decent amount of fiber/whole grains. That can keep you satisfied a lot longer.

As far as snacking, I often find that in the afternoon if I am feeling hungry..I eat a piece of fruit like a plum and drink a bunch of water and it will often take care of it.

Soup is a great food to have around to fill you up too, just watch the sodium!

This is a process but you can do it and your body will adjust!

:happy:
    -Tami
  • SexySize9
    SexySize9 Posts: 43
    Options
    Try hard boiled egg whites with your toast in the morning. I have egg whites, a pear and light n fit yogurt and still remain within my allotted calories for breakfast.
  • ElliePeace
    Options
    Thankyou for all the support! :) Tomorrow i am definitely going to add something to my breakfast! Hmm, like some nuts and dried fruit! I am a veggie, so i try to eat lots of protein filled foods!
    Glad you like my pic by the way, its mee! :)
    Oh yeah, i have had dinner! It tastes so good when you are hungry!
    2 tofu schnitzel thingies, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Swede, Potato wedges! Then pineapple for pudding !
    :flowerforyou: