Hungry before bed. What can I eat? Can I eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• Paulette61
    Options
    HI there, well one thing is that your working out in the evening, trying having a protein shake after your workout. That should satisfy you till morning.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I am new to this what is a macro?

Macro nutrients… Fat, Protein, Carbs and their subsequent breakdowns (e.g. fats - saturated vs mono, carbs - fiber vs sugar, etc.)
    If you want to eat nutritiously, you need to not only watch your calorie intake, but what those calories are made up of and in what ratios. You are allowed to track 6 total in your food diary… calories being required, so really 5 other aspects of your macro nutrients. My opinion is that at least to start with you track your Total Fat, Saturated Fat, Protein, Total Carbs, and Fiber. So try to not only hit your daily caloric goal, but also come close to the macro-nutrient goals as well.

If you don't like the ratios that MFP gives you, you can set your own. For example, I've switched to maintenance and I want to concentrate on doing more lifting, so I decreased my carb goal by 5% and upped my protein by 5%. Also, because cardiovascular disease runs in my family, I decreased the total fats by 5% and moved that 5% to my protein as well. So, my macro goals are 50% carbs, 25% proteins, and 25% fats. So, 50% of my calories should be Carbohydrates, 25% should be protein, etc.

To get an idea of how macros impact calories, 1 gram of fat = 9 calories, 1 gram of protein or carbohydrates = 4 calories.

Best of luck!!
  • ConnieB1979
    ConnieB1979 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If you were getting plenty to eat without your exercise calories, you wouldn't be hungry at bedtime. :wink:

That said, I like a glass of chocolate milk before bed.
    Perfect point right here!

I do this too!!!!
  • creative1981
    creative1981 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I normally have hot chocolate before bed. Cadburys Highlights is 40 cals a cup if made with water (I make it with skimmed milk) and it usually satisfies me.
  • lemonadem
    lemonadem Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    <--- Eats right before bed... often. :smile:

As long as I have room in my day, then I'm good to go. I have trouble sleeping if I'm hungry!

I :heart: food!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    After a workout I usually have a banana/natural peanut butter or a fruit smoothie

Love your profile pic! My grandmother was a HUGE Chicago Cubs fan. Your pic makes me think of her (she passed away last August at the age of 86). :smile:
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yes eat whatever fits in your calories for the day. There are many times I eat ice cream, chocolate milk and cereal right before bed and it has not caused any problems with my weight loss. If I have the calories, I am eating those babies!
  • czechmate823
    czechmate823 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    OK, I'll probably get chastised for saying this because it's certainly not the healthiest snack you could choose, but, it helps me if I'm just feeling like I need a little something but don't have a lot of snack calories left or just don't want to use them -- Sugar free jello. I love it, and sometimes it's just the right thing to get me through my cravings. I'll even buy those bags of sugar free jello cubes and have a few of those and some water until my munchies go away. I'm also a fan of sugar free pudding at night, too. 60 calories and lots of flavor choices. Good luck on your weight loss journey -- you can do it!! :)
  • weston23
    weston23 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything, just make sure it fits your caloric intake and preferably your macros
  • GettinMyLifeBck
    GettinMyLifeBck Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I usually eat anything I want as long as its not real starchy and it fits in my calorie limit/macros...
  • trisha_dubois
    trisha_dubois Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently just read a couple of good articles on this. I'm trying to plan out my meals each day and eat 6 small meals a day which puts me at having a snack in the evening about an hour before I go to bed. So I wanted to find what I could plan to eat that would be low cal and healthy without upsetting my sleep. A lot of studies show that you shouldn't eat before bed. However, giving your body something to digest slowly during the evening will also help you wake up less hungry and if you eat the right thing it can help your sleep.

From what I ready I am probably going to try something small as a night cap such as warm almond milk, a string cheese, a slice of smoked salmon, a banana and yogurt or even a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese. Here are some references I found.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nocturnal-noshing-6-snacks-you-can-eat-before-bed.html

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/things-eat-before-bed-4256.html
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    EAT when you're hungry. You might just feel thirsty though. I always drink a glass of water when I feel hungry and if I don't feel hungry after, I don't eat. Listen to your body and feed it if it is desiring food.