Allergies, Asthma, and exercise

Options
jhehle
jhehle Posts: 88 Member
What works best for you, i have allergy and excersize induced asthma. I am suppose to take my inhaler 30 minutes prior to working out but i still feel that 10 minutes into my workout i can feel my airway restrict. Im getting allergy shots in a few mos but they said they couldnt do it until i clear up from this bout of allergy attack (they have me on 4 diff meds geez!)

Anyway, any tips on opening up airway and breathing better?? We've gotten a dehumidifyer for downstairs which has helped a good bit. Its just so frustrating when you want to do really well, but have to stop because its hard to breathe, i have a lot of weight that needs to come off and im doing my best.

Replies

• AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I used to have a really hard time running for any length of time (3 minutes was about my max!). Not because my legs or body was tired, but because I couldn't breathe due to my asthma. I went to a chiropractor, who got my spine straightened out, allowing my lungs to be able to have more room to expand. Now, about a year later, I can easily run 6 miles and have essentially stopped all asthma medication.

As for allergies, I run in the morning, when all the nasty pollen and dust is a little calmer and the air is cooler. It makes a big difference.
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i've had exercise induced asthma all my life and running used to be a huge issue. I always had my maxair with me. I never found some amazing trick or remedy, but I can tell you that the more endurance I built, the less I needed my inhaler. I rarely have any symptoms anymore, and I credit it to running. I even ran a Half marathon a couple years ago with no inhaler!

It's amazing how the body can heal itself when you are conditioning it.
    I also agree with running in the morning before traffic and life has a chance to stir up the pollen.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    Yoga. Learning how to breathe from the diaphragm has helped me tremendously.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    When your chest starts to feel tight, raise your arms over your head and cross them behind your head. Push your elbows back. This opens up your airways and gives your lungs more capacity. You can do this while running, but I wouldn't advise while you are on your treadmill.
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I turn my air conditioner on and down! The cooler air makes it a little easier...
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have the same..At first I had alot of trouble. I could barely workout for 10 mins and i would have an attack.. I'm happy to say now after 108 days I can workout for 2 hours and not have an attack. :) Don't push yourself too hard at first. I know it gets frustrating and it is scary..But keep going. :)
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Early Mornings have a fan blowing on you...helps with the breathing. And I have started using one of those Breath Right Strips on my nose. It was hard at first...and I would usually end up with a sinus infection...but I kept doing it. And now its gotten easier and though I still cough stuff up...at least its coming up and not staying down in my lungs. Even when you feel bad...keep it up...even if its just 10 minutes.