The wonderful health benefits of celery.....................

Options

Replies

• skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Thank you! :smile:

I bet some celery and hummus would taste pretty good. As always, it tastes good with PB too.

HUMMUS:noway:
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wow time to buy some celery! Thanks very good info there.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I love it. I am lazy and buy the already cut stuff .
  • eschwab855
    eschwab855 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Why does it make my mouth go numb?
    HAHA I know and I have no answer for you but mine gets sort of numbish <
    I know not a word but it works for me
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Just remember that if you buy celery at the store, you should try and buy it ORGANIC!! It's on the list of the "Dirty Dozen", fruits and vegetables that have the highest absorption rate of pesticides and other toxic chemicals. It is in fact, NUMBER 2 on the list. Here's the link: (which also shows the "Clean 15", foods ok to buy non organic)

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

and the list:

•strawberries
    •celery
    •peaches
    •apples
    •domestic blueberries
    •nectarines
    •sweet bell peppers
    •spinach, kale and collard greens
    •cherries
    •potatoes
    •imported grapes
    •lettuce

But thanks for the post! :)
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Celery is something I definitely try to keep on hand and buy organic. Is usually part of my afternoon snack :)
  • danabrash
    danabrash Posts: 67
    Options
    Q: My dh won't touch it however, so how do I make sure it keeps? I'll admit, there are certain foods I won't buy because they will and do go bad before I ever get a chance to eat it all because he is picky about fruits and veggies.

Trick I learned from Marth Stuart actually: Wrap it in aluminum foil. It really works! Limp celery is disgusting
  • GangstaMa
    GangstaMa Posts: 39
    Options
    I eat celery everyday! I alwasy get teased im just eating a crunchy version of water!.....THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! :smile:
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I have been looking for some veggies to add to my husband's lunchbag. Organic celery will be on my shopping list for this week!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And its great in salad, too! I like to keep celery on hand for my salads, and I like to spread homemade tuna salad on it. Great tip on the aluminum foil, I'll definitely try that. Cheers!
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    yum
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I definitely do not like celery, but I may have to learn to. Too many good benefits from eating it!
  • SophieB74656
    SophieB74656 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I like celery, but only with some kind of dip or something. I had some yesterday actually , made a pretty good dip too. A small container of lowfat greek yogurt mixed with a packet of zero sodium chicken broth.

another good dip, but not one I recommend bringing to work is to take a whole thing of garlic and roast it in the oven until it's soft, then squeeze out the individual pieces and mix it with some sour cream or greek yogurt

i'm going to have to try the laughing cow cheese with some
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    I definitely do not like celery, but I may have to learn to. Too many good benefits from eating it!

a trick might be to find some kind of dip or smear to go with it that you like
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    CELERY MAKES THE HOOHA TASTE BETTER TOO !!!! FOR REAL I READ THIS YEARS AGO. ALONG WITH PINEAPPLE

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    interesting
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Ladies with PCOS, go to this link and scroll down to "Other conditions". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inositol#Clinical_implications

That's the first I've heard that. For a while, I was eating TONS of celery (literally a whole bunch every day). I've slacked off in the last few months, though, because it's really hard to find good celery during the winter months. Gonna have to get back on the wagon in that regard, I guess.
  • SophieB74656
    Options
    Just remember that if you buy celery at the store, you should try and buy it ORGANIC!! It's on the list of the "Dirty Dozen", fruits and vegetables that have the highest absorption rate of pesticides and other toxic chemicals. It is in fact, NUMBER 2 on the list. Here's the link: (which also shows the "Clean 15", foods ok to buy non organic)

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

and the list:

•strawberries
    •celery
    •peaches
    •apples
    •domestic blueberries
    •nectarines
    •sweet bell peppers
    •spinach, kale and collard greens
    •cherries
    •potatoes
    •imported grapes
    •lettuce

But thanks for the post! :)

I can tell you this honestly, I've worked in the grocery supply industry for many years...organic doesn't mean much, just over priced. There aren't that many regulations and they arent' really enforced
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I love me some celery, even when I was a kid. I will try to eat a ton more now!!
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    CELERY MAKES THE HOOHA TASTE BETTER TOO !!!! FOR REAL I READ THIS YEARS AGO. ALONG WITH PINEAPPLE

Before & After photos are quite popular on this site. If before & after taste testing is allowed, I will happily volunteer. :tongue: