Machine #'s vs. MFP

Options
Still new at this, and I'm confused. I want my workout calories to be accurate so I know how much I need to be consuming, but I can't figure out which is right. MFP today told me my workout calories are 184 while my machine read 330. Which is it? I would think it's the larger number since I am still carrying extra weight (about 60 lbs to lose), but I'm not sure! I did check my HR on the machine about 8 times throughout the workout and have dreams of someday getting a heart rate monitor so this won't be a problemn in the distant future, but they're too expensive to get today. Can you help a girl out?

Replies

• 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I would just average the two numbers
  • ajz2010
    ajz2010 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Still new at this, and I'm confused. I want my workout calories to be accurate so I know how much I need to be consuming, but I can't figure out which is right. MFP today told me my workout calories are 184 while my machine read 330. Which is it? I would think it's the larger number since I am still carrying extra weight (about 60 lbs to lose), but I'm not sure! I did check my HR on the machine about 8 times throughout the workout and have dreams of someday getting a heart rate monitor so this won't be a problemn in the distant future, but they're too expensive to get today. Can you help a girl out?

I have heard to take what the machine says and multiply that by 70%. It's not science, and probably not 100% accurate, but pretty close I bet. MFP figures it on your height and weight and I'm not sure if your machine does. Also, my husband just bought a heart rate monitor at Walmart for $40. Not too expensive and totally worth the investment! Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • wowsley2
    wowsley2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a similar question, but I'm coming at it from the other end. MFP says I burn significantly more calories than the machine does when I enter my age and weight.

For instance, if I enter "Eliptical Trainer - 60 minutes" into MFP, it outputs a calorie burn of almost 1,300 calories for me.

The readout on the machine at the gym (for which I enter weight), gives out 1,000 calories.

I always enter the machine's reading into MFP, overriding what MFP autofills. I figure if I base my eating off the more conservative number, then I'm erring on the side of caution.

However, sometimes I get exercise not from a machine. So, if I go for a one hour walk at 3.0 mph, should I also adjust down the calorie output MFP gives me for that?

Also, is there any way I can figure out caloric burn without a machine? Is that what a heart rate monitor does?
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    For that particular workout (walking dog at 3.0mph), my machine still reads a higher calories burned than MFP. I was doing that one on the treadmill. It does make sense to go with the more conservative number, but I know if I get it right then there will be less chance of starving my body of needed calories and more success on this journey.

I also didn't realize that MFP uses your weight and height to determine calorie count. I don't think my treadmill does that (it's an older one.)
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I only have a treadmill at home and it doesn’t let you input your height/weight before you start your workout (some of them do, and encourage you to take your heart rate during the workout so it can give you an accurate-ish measurement of calories burned).

So, even without knowing my height/weight….my treadmill’s calories burned was more accurate than MFP. MFP was underestimating the calories I burned (but for some activities I’ve seen it way overestimate too). I have a Polar HRM…I think I paid between 35-40 dollars for it. It doesn’t calculate my calories burned but it at least keeps track of my average heart rate for the duration of my workout.
    I then, generally, use this website to just put in my info and get an estimate of my calories burned:
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

I found a mathematical calculation of calories burned based on HR…and I actually took the time to do it to check if this website was right and it was right on…so it’s gotta be at least in the ballpark of accurate-ish. So, since you don’t have a HRM just keep checking your heart rate throughout your workout so you have an idea of what it was for your workout. Then use that website.
  • awandell
    awandell Posts: 62
    Options
    Thanks Rosie. Will check that out!