Couch to 5K . . . who's doing it? Pros/Cons . . .

Options
ADM1979
ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
A lady here was telling me that she was doing the Couch to 5K program. Anyone else doing the program? Pros/Cons? Suggestions?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 8 of c25k - so far all pros, no cons! I am up to running 28 minutes without stopping (about 2.75 miles). I have never been a runner, so this is a huge accomplishment for me. I've stuck with the program, running 3 days a week - no injuries, no shin splints, nothing. Very happy with how it's working for me! :)
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I finish week five tomorrow.

Pros:
    The program ramps you up slowly enough for you to get used to running, but quickly enough that you can see results.
    The program and its community here on MFP are very forgiving, and there is no harm in taking longer if you need it.
    In two months, you will be able to do something that most people think is beyond their capabilities.

Cons:
    Your personality and world view may fundamentally change when you realize that you, too, are a runner. Soon, you will want to keep running and enjoying yourself while watching the fat just disappear. Your friends will notice the change and may want to join you as well, meaning you will need to share your new found health and joy with people you care about.

. . . yeah, I have nothing really bad to say about the program.
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    do you use an app to tell you when/what to run? or is their a website? listening in here.
  • Ridumcowgirl
    Ridumcowgirl Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Great results ya'll ! Now I'm gonna HAVE to try this! Ive printed it out....tonight looks like a good night for DAY 1:)
  • sunnmuun
    sunnmuun Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    great program. search for the interval music for your mp3 or program your own music with the correct length songs. i ran an 8k after completing the 9 week program and i got lazy so i am revisiting it with the intention of doing a half marathon in october.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start this soon, when the evenings are light enough for me to feel safe in my local park, so it is great to hear peoples feedback.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 8 this morning. I ran my first 5K last weekend. I love this program, and have totally become a runner in the last 8 weeks. I am planning to continue on with a Bridge to 10K program and then more with a goal of running a half marathon next January.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have it on my agenda and me and a friend were supposed to start this week, but it's been pouring down rain all week. I don't have access to a treadmill or anything to use instead, so I've just been doing different workouts this week and will start C25K next week when we have clear skies. =)

(I'm sure people run in the rain, but as I had foot surgery in college and have less of a sure footing with my left foot, I try not to take chances on slipping and falling.)
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I 'graduated' from it last week! Am currently running 3.2 miles in 30 minutes and am signed up for my first 5k race this weekend.

Nothing but 'pros' as far as I'm concerned, it's a great program!
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I finish week five tomorrow.

Pros:
    The program ramps you up slowly enough for you to get used to running, but quickly enough that you can see results.
    The program and its community here on MFP are very forgiving, and there is no harm in taking longer if you need it.
    In two months, you will be able to do something that most people think is beyond their capabilities.

Cons:
    Your personality and world view may fundamentally change when you realize that you, too, are a runner. Soon, you will want to keep running and enjoying yourself while watching the fat just disappear. Your friends will notice the change and may want to join you as well, meaning you will need to share your new found health and joy with people you care about.

. . . yeah, I have nothing really bad to say about the program.

Nice!

Check out the Couch to 5k group in this here community, there's loads of good advice, experiences & stories.

For me - it makes a huge difference to my body shape, my overall fitness & my mental health. Down side - if you catch the bug you will start looking at longer distances and bigger events. I've committed to a 10k in September, possibly pushing towards a half marathon if the training goes well.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am still on week 1; I just have one day of week one left. I did it on the treadmill, week 1 that is, but when I did it on the side walk, boy was it hard. So, I am redoing the program OUTSIDE, yes people I said OUTSIDE!
  • ameredith83
    ameredith83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to download the app on my iPhone. There are several different apps available when I search for couch to 5K. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one is the best to purchase? Thanks for any info!
  • ADM1979
    ADM1979 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been wanting to download the app on my iPhone. There are several different apps available when I search for couch to 5K. Does anyone have any suggestions on which one is the best to purchase? Thanks for any info!

I found two different apps on my andriod. I downloaded them both. One says it will not run in the background and it looks pretty complicated. The other says it will run in the back ground and it is pretty easy to work.

I think I will start this program tomorrow as I won't be home in time for today. I am getting really excited about this!
  • mostaverage
    Options
    I am still on week 1; I just have one day of week one left. I did it on the treadmill, week 1 that is, but when I did it on the side walk, boy was it hard. So, I am redoing the program OUTSIDE, yes people I said OUTSIDE!

I did the first half on a treadmill, scared to run outside incase the ghostbusters tried to zap me with their streams (gratuitous 80's movie reference) but when I worked up the nerve to go outside I loved it, fresh air, the scenery changes and I didn't overheat. Perfect.
  • mostaverage
    Options

I got the C25K Free from Zen Labs. Worked fine for me but they are updating it regularly in line with customer feedback.
  • mkwow
    mkwow Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just started this program a week ago and I will have to say I have already seen great improvements in myself and my running time since starting a little over a week ago.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    I use the Zen Labs c25k app as well (it's free) - no problems with it! I run outside and put my iphone in an armband so it's close enough to hear the prompts (i don't run with headphones/earbuds).

You can also see an overview of the program here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I found some podcasts on iTunes recently and downloaded those. I haven't used it yet, but there is a guy talking to you, "now speed up for 60 seconds, now slow down type thing", which I think I'm going to find MUCH more useful than writing it down and taking with me to try and watch a clock.

Just search in podcasts for C25K, and it should pop up, and there was all the weeks there for free.
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    The only other advice I would offer is make sure you've got good shoes, stick to the program, and don't be afraid to go slow. Slow jogging is still jogging! Many times I've slowed my pace way down to be sure I could finish that day's time. And if you have a rough week or a bad run, no shame in repeating a day or even a week until you're ready to move up. At the same time, don't be afraid to try the next week - Week 5 in particular seems daunting, but you will likely surprise yourself and be able to complete it!
  • ameredith83
    ameredith83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I got the C25K Free from Zen Labs. Worked fine for me but they are updating it regularly in line with customer feedback.

Thanks!