Is weighing yourself daily unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    It depends on whether or not what you see on the scale affects your mood.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Bad for your mental health.
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day out of habit. I don't think it's bad, I don't get super discouraged if I gained a bit of weight, or if I stayed the same. I just do it because I like to.
  • Kimberly602
    Options
    I typically weigh myself each day..morning and night... It just helps me keep track of how my body is reacting to what I'm doing. It's probably not the healthiest routine... but right now I'm just excited about the weight loss and I'm impatient... :o) Do what works for you...
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I've done it for the past couple of months, just because I was curious what my daily fluctuations were. Like many other things, it can be healthy, neutral, or unhealthy, depending on how the person relates to it. In my case, I think it was neutral, or maybe slightly positive.
  • Skinny4BG
    Skinny4BG Posts: 145
    Options
    I weigh myself every day when I get up in the morning. I am trying to see what exercises and workouts work for me. And I found it last night! It helps keep me on track and see if I am making the right process of going down instead of up. I dont see anything wrong with weighing everyday. Im an immediate results type of person, so seeing the scale change every morning.. gives me my feeling of immediate results.
  • sexyrosey
    sexyrosey Posts: 137
    Options
    I started weighing in daily when i did the hcg diet. I wish i could stop but i do know what foods make me gain because of it so i make sure not to eat those foods for 2 days before i take my weekly weigh in.
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    As Long as you weigh the same time every day (most people weigh in the morning) I think you are fine. But I would set days and weigh 2 times a week then have your official weigh in day.

Good Luck :smile:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Does it keep you on track, or encourage an unhealthy attitude to weight?

I keep seeing people getting discouraged and giving up because the number on the scale has gone up, but...if you weigh yourself every day then it will go up, probably as often as it goes down.

I don't own scales and am not a fan of daily weighing. I think once a week is plenty if you are aiming to lose weight, and once a month once you are maintaining. More often and it can become an obsession.

Studies have shown that people who weigh themselves every day are more likely to lose weight than those who don't.

MFP and WW reccomend you don't weight yourself more than once a week so you don't get short term discouraged. People do get discouraged when weight fluctuates every day, but if they keep at it they will see a trend over time and realize "ya I went up a lb today but I know I am eating right, so I will probably lose 2 lbs next week because I had this happen two weeks ago, this lb is probably just water weight from my time of the month" or something similar.

I think if you are at a healthy weight and you like to weigh yourself every day to make sure you stay there, there is nothing wrong with that "obsession", it's not mental instability! It's more like consistency.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh myself every 3-4 days. I may do it two days in a row but if I see a gain, it does not discourage me. It actually motivates me. But luckily I have only been seeing a loss.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    I think its mentally unhealthy.

It can be discouraging if you dont see the loss you want.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    Its different for everyone, which I'm sure you are discovering. For me it keeps me on track...for so long before I started this journey I avoided that scale, it was a way of avoiding reality, if I didn't know how much I weighted there was no problem...right?Wrong very wrong. So for me its a way of holding myself accountable on a dialy basis, and I assure you there are days I would rather not get on that scale. Its just a great guide to gauge how much what you are eating or exercise is affecting your weight loss goals. So if its right for you, and it doesn't discourage your progress do it, if not don't.
  • beccci91
    beccci91 Posts: 214
    Options
    I weight everyday but only take notes of the loses because I know that my body fluctuates daily and hourly...I find it very helpful.

I see it like this....if you only weigh once a week you may miss that you had actually lost, your weight isn't the exact same everyday.
  • juliespears
    juliespears Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Same exact thing happens to me! If it goes up, I can usually trace it back to too much sodium the day before, or perhaps going a bit overboard while eating out. I just eat a bit less the next day or so, and it's all better over the next few days.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning before I eat. Personally, I love it. I don't care if it does the yo-yo. Also, I tend to eat out a little more on the weekends so weighing myself daily is a good way to police myself when I see the numbers go up a little more than they should.
  • tml224
    tml224 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bad for your mental health.

I agree. For someone starting out on their fitness journey, it can be torture and very obsessive. You truly have to understand and accept things like muscle weighing more than fat, water retention, etc. If you don't understand those and similar variables, it can derail your efforts, trust me I know.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its only unhealthy if it leads to obsession with a number. I weigh daily to track trends and changes. I'm basically at my goal weight, but if I go up a few the week of my cycle or something, I don't go into panic mode. Some people really react badly to the fluctuations, so maybe for them it can be....
  • Tn2009
    Tn2009 Posts: 21
    Options
    i weigh every day. I bought a scale that measures weight to .2, that way I get excited if I see any changes at all. It encourages me
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I'm like the OP. I am not a daily weigher. I think it is one of the behaviors that has done me in on prior "weight loss" excursions. I do see from other posters perspectives of doing daily weigh ins to essentially establish patterns/benchmarks. I think i would do that more on a sampling basis, particularlly if I changed weight goals, exercise, etc. I'm focused on a combination of measures -- lbs, down, fat percentage, and measurements.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day (in fact I weigh several times a day) , the scales fluctuate constantly, but it dosnt bother me up 3 lbs down 2 up 1 down 3 .... it happens . ..... as long as the over all trend over the months go down that means Im generally getting lighter :)