Hi everyone, I'm another person hopelessly too fat!

Options
:brokenheart: I have to lose weight. I stopped smoking 6 months ago after 40 years. Started smoking at 17. I love the fact that I dont smoke anymore ...but I have picked up 10 Kilo's. I now weigh 93Kg's and I am in trouble. I am pre Diabetic to top it off.

I am going onto a low carb diet - Dr Aitkens and I really need encouragement. My husband does not believe this is the right diet for me, but I tried low fat anf it did not work for me....

Replies

• robinso5
    robinso5 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    GReat choice to start somewhere! and Tell your hubby as long as you try something your not giving up! WE are all PHAT...........pretty hot and tempting in our own way! yay on you stopping smoking. Now the key is get moving even if its just down the street and back. once you get used to that you will go further and faster! Good luck and great choice on the decision to get up and get moving!
  • Polixeni001
    Polixeni001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi... I'm pretty much in the same boat. If I can give you support...you got it.:smile:
  • julia6567
    julia6567 Posts: 27
    Options
    I started on here yesteray, so together we can get through this and come out the other end healthier and happier. I was 110.8 kgs a month ago and am down to 106.5. I felt myself slipping as I need people who are on the same journey as me for encouragement. I started a weightloss class and have found the tools on here brilliant for keeping tabs on what im eating. 'If you bite it, write it'.... its just easier to have this on my laptop and bb than to carry around pen and paper as its easy to forget to write it down. Please feel free to add me as a friend on here.
  • w_bc
    w_bc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I started a week ago and have managed to gain weight! I'm frustrated and I don't know what to do! HELP!!! :(
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    First of all, you're not hopeless. That's why you're here, because you have hope! I've never been a smoker, but my husband swears it's hard to quit. We had a deal that he would quit smoking if I lost weight. I have, and he's down to 2.5 cigarettes a day. He's actually lost weight since I've been losing, but I'm sure that's because I haven't been cooking fattening meals.

The nice thing about this plan is that you don't have to use a diet, although you can if you want to. Different things work for different people. I don't think I'm prone to diabetes, but I try to eat mostly low-glycemic foods to protect myself from diabetes and heart problems. Another thing you might try is going for high volume, low density foods, like soups and vegetables. You can eat a lot without getting a lot of calories.

This is your chance to experiment and see what works best for you! The main thing is to count all your calories, as accurately as possible, and get lots of exercise. Walk more and move more. Losing weight can be fun! I've been on MFP since Aug 2011, and I'm still excited about it. I'm running a 5K in 9 days and another one the following week. Who would have thought?

You can do this! You must be about 57, just a few years younger than me, and I'm sure you haven't come this far without learning persistence. After all, you quit smoking, and that's a huge victory. I suspect losing weight will be easier that quitting smoking. At least, that's what my husband seems to believe. lol He's probably right. You can do this! Best wishes and God bless you!