Anyone have the Body Bug (HRM) from Biggest Loser?

Options
Hello!! Anyone use the body bug (heart rate monitor) they use on the biggest loser?

Do you like it? Is it accurate? Worth the price? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!

Replies

• amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I too am looking into these. I also found the Fitbit - a similar but cheaper product. I hope you get some responses. I'm concerned it takes special software.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    I have a bodybugg and my boyfriend has a fitbit. These are our general feelings:

Bodybugg is an awesome device. The numbers seem pretty right to me, I lose about what I should based on my food logs and the numbers it gives for my output. On the down side, you have to wear it on your arm and people find that so curious that you inevitably have to answer some awkward questions. For me, I don't mind because I'm sure people don't think I accidentally lost 30 pounds without trying. Another down side is that their website and app are damn near unusably bad. I love the information, but I would honestly buy the wrist watch version before the SP.

Fitbit is much more discrete, but the adjustments it gives seem to be unreasonably high. It also has to be moved every time you are using transportation or you end up with a lot more steps than you actually took.

You can message me if you have any questions!

Good luck!
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I used to have the BodyBugg for two years and have now switched to the BodyMedia FIT Link. They are essentially the same unit made by the same company. I actually like the FIT web interface better than the Bodybugg. The interface that downloads is much easier and it also gives you sleep efficiency. AND you can buy the BodyMedia Fit at BestBuy whereas the Bugg has to be ordered usually. It is something that 24Hour Fitness is selling and I found BodyBuggs customer service to be horrid. There is complaints all over their forum about their customer support and lack of support you get.

Now - I believe that the biggest loser has stopped using the Bugg as 24hour fitness is no longer their fitness sponsor apparently and they are selling their own branded accelerometer device now - not nearly as good as the bugg or the fit link IMO. I would suggest looking at the BodyMedia devices. If you are not interested in seeing the data on a smart phone then they now have the "CORE" which is smaller yet in size.

To avoid a lot of the questions the other poster was referring to - I sometimes wear it on my left calf instead of left arm - then nobody sees it or touches it. Results are the same from what I can tell and people on earlier seasons of Biggest Loser were also seen wearing it on the calf.
  • babysvt
    Options
    I love my bodybugg and have had one since they first came out. I have found this to be a very accurate device. I am disappointed in the fact that they have not come out with a model that is waterproof. I have both the regular bodybugg and the SP version. I tend to use the regular version because I have a heck of a time trying to get the SP version to sync to my iPhone. It becomes very annoying. I find having the regular version with the digital watch readout so much easier to deal with.

I love the idea of wearing this unit on my calf. I will have to try this. I don't mind wearing it on my arm but after wearing this for so many years has put an indentation in my arm in the place I wear it. I have also heard that you can put it on your other arm upside down but that doesn't seem to work right for me. Thanks for this bit of information.

My poor bugg is getting worn out so I will probably be buying a new one here soon. My membership is up for renewal in April and they have now changed the rules from being able to pay for a year in advance to only offering a month to month, which seems more expensive to me. Maybe I will check into the bodymedia version and see what they have to offer.
  • perfekta
    perfekta Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've had mine (GoWear Fit then they changed the name to Bodymedia Fit) for three years. I love it. I have heard it's good to wear it on your calf if you are riding a bike for more accurate results, but otherwise I think it can skew your burn and make it look like you burned more calories and were more active than you really were, not sure on this, but I read it somewhere.

I don't mind wearing mine on my arm, it is under my shirt, and I guess I have had a couple questions about what it is maybe, but really I haven't had many. I guess it may be a personality thing about how much that bothers you, it doesn't bother me when people ask, I'm more excited to tell them about it, because it's so cool how it can tell you about how much sleep you get, how many steps, the calories burned, etc. Everyone thinks it's neat.

Mine is the old one, so I had to get the display watch, and I have it in the clip, and it's clipped on my armband so I can see my burn, the new ones you can sync with your phone. It's great for when you exercise, it has a trip counter you can reset.

All in all, I love it!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit and wear it tucked into the side band of my bra while at work and going out as to not draw attention to it. I wear it on my arm while working out. I have found it to be very helpful to my weightloss and love that it syncs to MFP. It does require a monthly subscription, which can be a deterrant for some people.
  • heymirth
    heymirth Posts: 448
    Options
    I have the Body Media (body bug) and its awesome. It syncs up to MFP perfectly. I love it and its only $119 thru Costco.com for a years worth.

Yes. Pm me for answers to questions
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you are a member of Costco:
    http://www.costco.com/BodyMedia-FIT™-LINK-Armband.product.11680102.html?catalogId=10701&langId=-1&keyword=BodyMediaFit&storeId=10301

on sale until 1/20/2013. $119.99 includes shipping and 12 month subscription to website (normal purchase includes 3 months so this is an extra 9 months.)
  • Kattie75
    Kattie75 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit as well. I love it. Saves me the time of calculation my daily calorie deficit. I'm down 15 pounds in the 7 weeks I have had it.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Link, and I'm very pleased with it. It syncs to my Galaxy Note II phone very easily, and the website activity manger works well. I really like how well it communicates with MFP.

I can't comment on its accuracy, as I've only been wearing it for a few days.
  • Cincypsych
    Cincypsych Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Love my Body media for all above reasons!:love:
  • WinnershCyclist
    Options
    I use a Polar H7 HRM with Icardio and that seems pretty much Ok for calories used etc including Fat cal , and that all ties in with Myfitnesspal so a very integrated solution only cost £40 in the Uk the best part is as it T31 compatible it also displays on Gym equipment your more accurate Heart Rate so cant see why spend triple or even double plus discreet as you dont see it being worn