Chicken

Options
jen88ve
jen88ve Posts: 153
So I'm not a big chicken eater, but since I'm trying to stay away from red meat a couple reason I was wondering if I can have some help with some tasty chicken recipes?!?! I want some ideas on how to spice it up so it's not so plain and I will actually want to come home from work and be pumped for dinner!

Replies

• Soon2BeMrsThomson
    Options
    Fajitas are amazing!! Lots of mixed peppers and onions, low fat sour cream and some nice spicy chicken (use a packet mix or make your own!!) maybe with a bit of cheese if you have enough cals for the day :-)

Also like a casserole in the slow cooker - mushrooms, onions, carrots (anything you like really but they are my fave with chicken) with some mashed potatoes, yum yum.

At the moment I'm addicted to a big plate of salad mixed with olive oil, chicken, a few new potatoes mixed up with chives and low fat mayo - ready is 20 minutes and no pots, happy days!!
  • jen88ve
    Options
    That all sounds delicious!!!
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Salsa Chicken!!! Just a jar of salsa, a can of black beans and chicken breasts, in the crockpot all day. You can shred the chicken and put it in tortillas with a little cheese and sour cream or on brown rice. Or you can not shred the chicken and just eat it that way too I guess. Very kid friendly. One of our weekly staples!
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What about pork tenderloin? the other white meat. haha. That's what I am making for dinner tonight!
  • jsong11
    jsong11 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to stay away from red meat, you can also have pork; it's the other white meat.
    I'm a big fan of pork loin with an apple chutney.

But chicken is definitely very versatile and easy to put in lots of different kinds of dishes.
    Sometimes i'll do a marinade with soy sauce, honey, a touch of sesame oil and scallions.
  • arickim
    arickim Posts: 137
    Options
    soft tacos, grilled, and roasted is what we do. I hate chicken , so that and pork is all we really eat now. Red meat is rare in this home now.
  • jen88ve
    Options
    Yumm any excuse to make tacos for me! :smile:
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Roast some chicken breast in the oven.

Mix and warm a mixture of some dijon mustard, milk (your choice of which) and capers.

They do this at a local restaurant and it is the best thing ever. I've done it once on my own and it was pretty good too, even though I was using 1% milk and I got the mustard proportion a bit wrong I'm told, too strong. Anyway play around with it until you get it right and it is so, so good.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Stews and Casseroles are great. :)
    A piece of chicken with red pesto in the middle (or whatever you prefer) wrapped in bacon and then baked. :)

Spicy chicken, we can buy some cajun spice mix here, and you can have that in chunks in Lasagne instead of beef. :) Hope this helps. If you don't like chicken adding a sauce or spices can really help. :)
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    grill it up boneless, skinless, naked - and saturate it with fresh lemon & cracked black pepper...mm mm mm!
  • roachtg
    roachtg Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you find a good marinade you like , you could grill or bake or do kabobs with some good veggies. I have a Hawaiian Luau marinade that I am going to try probably over the weekend with some roasted veggies.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    ...and i also do a meatloaf made from ground chicken. yum!
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    jalapeno popper stuffed chicken breast :D
    i found the recipe on this site, but altered it a bit..the original called for cottage cheese instead of cream cheese, iirc..
    just mix up all the stuff, cut a slice in the chicken and divide the filling. i baked mine at 425 (cant remember how long) but the breasts i ended up using were 7-9oz
    jalapenopopperstuffedchickenbreast.jpg
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I love making a grilled chicken salad, and then topping it with tzatziki instead of dressing (a garlicky dip made with shredded cucumbers, garlic, and greek yogurt). I lived in europe for a few years, and I ate this from a greek restaurant every day for the first 6 months of my pregnancy. Delish!!!
  • JessicaW0204
    Options
    Chicken salad made with mashed avocado, cilantro, salt and lime juice... No mayo, you can have it on whole grain bread or those sandwich thins. :)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html
    http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/194728/foil-pack-chicken-and-broccoli-dinner-15
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Red wine vinegar
    Olive oil
    Soy sauce
    Worcestershire sauce
    Garlic
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Parsley
    Basil

Marinate chicken breasts at least three hours (though overnight is best). Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes, depending on thickness.

You can play around with this, too. Cut up some red and green peppers, onions, yellow squash and zucchini (or whatever you want!) and lay the chicken on top to bake. Add spinach or cheese or both to the top while baking or any variation of that and any other vegetables you want. You can also grill the chicken.

It's also a really good marinade for steak. :-)

I never measure when I cook, so just use your judgment regarding how much of each ingredient. Enough to cover the chicken, at least.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    All good ideas! One more....you can Shake & bake too. Not too bad on calories, and lots of different flavors. Chicken thighs (boneless - skinless) works great too!
  • ksutte
    ksutte Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad made with mashed avocado, cilantro, salt and lime juice... No mayo, you can have it on whole grain bread or those sandwich thins. :)
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/04/chicken-rollatini-with-spinach-alla.html
    http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/194728/foil-pack-chicken-and-broccoli-dinner-15

That sounds awesome! I am going to try this one...thanks!
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Get some Philly cream in the santa fe flavor...mmm!
    Ive also made pasta and put chicken in.