Anyone else have a hard time taking a rest day?

Options

Replies

• jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    No trouble whatsoever...lol. After a couple months of weight lifting, I needed a break this week....so I took it. The continued soreness is leaving, and I'll be ready to hit it again Monday.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I know it's a must for muscle repair and all that jazz. I just really have a tough time not doing any sort of workout for an entire day. I feel restless when I do. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way? How do you handle it if so? Thanks all!

Yeah me too but after I ended up with an overuse injury, I HAD to, now I take 2 a week but I call them active recovery days and I will walk on those days.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I work out because I like working out, I think it is fun. If I don't feel well, or if I have a crazy busy day, I might not work out, or I might do something different than what I had planned to do that day (walk instead of run, ride my bike instead of lift, etc). But I don't plan rest days. If I think I need one, I take one. But every day I assume I will work out that day because I look forward to it every day. When I don't do it, I feel like I missed out on something fun, like missing out on a massage or a movie with friends. It is my "me time" and I need it.

To each her own. *shrug*
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    BUMP!

Because Today is suppose to be my first rest day im being kind of forced into and already I wanna go workout!! I feel lazy! I dont think I know how to take a rest!! so I wanna see what everyone has to say on here
  • stouffers3
    Options
    I hate taking a day of rest but my doctor insists that I do. Working out gives me so much energy and motivation to get things done the rest of the day!
  • mountaingirlmandy
    Options
    I do have difficulty taking rest days, but not out of guilt or shame. I really just love being active. I don't "work out" ever! I simply do whatever I enjoy and whatever whim takes me away that day. Some days I go cycling outdoors, other days I go for a long walk, some other days I mix in hiking in our beautiful Ozarks. I also am beginning to go once a week to the climbing gym with my sister and am loving the company and the different type of activity. Sure, I love the calorie burn and the weight loss, but my focus on health is most important to me. I've found the pounds just melting away with this attitude. I eat what I want, keep an eye on the calories, and exercise each day. Sometimes, my body just says, "Hey, take a break." I don't like it much, but I listen to my body and have discovered it makes my activity days so much more fun!
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do yoga on rest days
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Nope, I sure don't. Lol.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love my rest days. I use them to plan and cook my meals for the next few days as well as catch up on DVRed programs.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I understand the addictive properties of working out, feeling the burn, and working your *kitten* off... BUT!

Rest is actually part of the whole training process! You HAVE to let your body recover! Ask any coach or fitness expert, it's an important part of training.

You leave yourself open for physical and mental breakdown if you do. If you're really trying to change to a healthy lifestyle, you have to incorporate rest as part of your life. I also speak from experience. I thought I had to work out every single day, push it, compete, but I ended up blowing up at the end and injurying myself from overuse. I was then forced off my feet and not able to run (the thing I absolutely LOVE to do in my life) for three months. It is NOT worth it. Listen to your body and respect it. This is why we as humans need to sleep. We need REST.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    I am SO glad I'm not the only one! Thanks for all the replies everyone. Hubby lectures me about taking rest days. It's just HARD. I don't feel guilty or worry that my 40 lbs will come back overnight, I just crave that calorie burn and stress relief. Plus being a stay at home/homeschooling Mom, it's really the ONLY alone time I get during the day to be honest. Maybe I'll try to take a rest day once a week and walk with the kiddo to the library or something. That way I'll still take it easy but won't feel so antsy.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I love my rest day because I know I need it to push my body the rest of the week. In fact, I take 2 rest days a week.Still losing weight but feel I am minimizing my chances of injury. In the past I pushed continuously and have always injured myself, twice needing surgery. Listen to your body.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I used to have a hard time taking a rest day because I tend to be so all or nothing...like a rest day would turn into a rest week...but now I take Sundays off (which doesn't feel like much of a rest day with church stuff going on) and I enjoy it because I know that the rest means I'll kick some serious butt on the treadmill come Monday.
  • CharlottetheHarlot
    Options
    Yep, I have extreme guilt and can't seem to relax. However, resting will bring down your cortizol levels and give your muscles time to repair...not to mention burn calories!
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I do.. I feel guilty, like I should be at the gym. My rest day consists of doing housework, laundry, errands, babysitting, etc, etc....lol...Working out at the gym gets me away from that for a while, and then I am back at it..lol...
  • erineddy81
    erineddy81 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You have to rest and recover, because that is when your muscles repair and rebuild, that is when you actually get stronger. So rest days are crucial!! That being said, I have a hard time on rest days as well lol :)
  • prego1983
    prego1983 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My body tells me when I need a rest day and I feel super lazy too when I don't work out. On rest days, I take my dogs for a walk or I walk around my neighborhood or do some light stretching in the living room. Sometimes even cleaning house makes for a good rest day activity :-)
  • Myles_D23
    Myles_D23 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. On my rest days a trainer friend told me to indulge but still its tough. I eat pretty well and ill just go for a slow steady 1 mile walk in the afternoon.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I didn't mind in the beginning, but Now I just wanna keep going and get to my goals ASAP. So I take them when life gets in the way, ie: sunday we'll be at a birthday party during regular workout time, I haven't had a day off for ten, so that'll be it :) I'll also just do a lesser activity ie: walk, yardwork, etc. glad to know I'm not crazy or alone! :)
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes i do im always worrying that i could be burning more calories .. but i know its important for my body ( muscles ) to recover... Sometimes i will go for a walk it makes me feel better lol