Dog Harness??

Does anyone have a recommendation on a dog harness that they have found to work well especially while running? I use a leash and collar now. I am looking for a harness because, although the leash is usually loose and he will respond to voice commands, my boy has his moments like when he spots a squirrel before I do. I hate the pressure on his neck and don't want to hurt him. Any recommendations?

Replies

• Cberg9
    Cberg9 Posts: 123
    I have 2 100 lb akitas and I have the harness that clips under the arm pits and goes around their chest. There is a little clip for the leash on the CHEST this is key though, when they try to pull to take off, the force they are using is used against them and they can't go anywhere bc they are pulling themselves to the side.

I tried the harness that clips on the back, may was well have hooked them up to a sled, they were OFF! That kind encourages pulling.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    The harness actually feeds into most dogs desire to pull. If your dog pulls at all it is not a good choice. I have been there- done that- and been walked by my dog instead of the other way around.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    I agree with the poster who suggest a harness can encourage pulling. I would try a head collar instead. It's much better for controlling head-strong and large dogs. Some dogs take a while to adjust to it - if your dog doesn't like it at first, put it on and then reinforce with a treat a few times.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Years ago I trained boxers for show and agility purposes. I that world, I was trained that a harness only encourages pulling. There are very good training collars that are not chains, we used a nylon one that clipped with a ring, it pulled on the neck, but was fitted correctly to fit more behind the jaw rather than lower on the neck. If a dog is pulling, the dog needs training to not pull, the don't won't want to be choked, but will be willing to drag you behind. I don't run with my dog at all, because of moments like what you describe. My dog weighs more than me, it wouldn't be good.
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    The one I would recommend is the "EASY WALK HARNESS" by Premier pet products. The clip is actually on front, so if your dog pulls, he just spins himself back around. It is what I recommend for leash pullers too. They work great.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    My Jack Russell wears a Puppia harness, it's lasted him over two years and he really pulls on it!! They're breathable material and they're very sturdy. I have only seen them for smaller dogs though so not sure if your dog is a bigger breed. Also I'm in the UK so don't know if my suggestion is helpful! :-)
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    The harness actually feeds into most dogs desire to pull. If your dog pulls at all it is not a good choice. I have been there- done that- and been walked by my dog instead of the other way around.

This is true...harnesses were actually made initially for sled dogs...to PULL the sled...most harnesses allow the dog to pull easier, without the strain on the neck (which isn't good b/c it can cause laryngeal paralysis as they get older). The Easy Walk harness has the clip in the front, which keeps the dog from pulling b/c it just spins him around if he pulls. Those and the Gentle Leader are the only ones I recommend...
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member

Yep, this. I'm a dog trainer and I NEVER tell my clients to use harnesses. You have no control. The collar will NOT hurt your dog's neck if you manage to correct him/her while they are 'pointing'. One of my dogs had terrible prey drive. All it took was to correct the dog while they are 'pointing' or 'targeting.' The eyes, body, and ears will be focused on the 'prey.' At this time, tug on the leash and keep running. Get your dog's attention and when they turn to you, praise them. Encourage them to look at you instead of the prey. If they turn back, quickly correct and praise when they look at you and continue on.

A harness will just make matters worse. Trust me.
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    There's a big difference between a "no pull" harness and the standard dog harness that clips on the back. As someone else said, if it clips on the back it will encourage the dog to pull. If it clips at the front of the chest, the pulling motion will end up turning them sideways.

What kind and size of dog do you have?

Also, regarding head halters--- many trainers no longer use these. They *are* effective at preventing dogs from pulling, but if you have a scenario where the dog takes off suddenly (i.e. in prey drive) it can screw up his neck/back alignment.

I used to run with my 90-lb. Giant schnauzer. I used a prong collar and leash, and the second he "alerted" to an animal, I'd call him in to me, talk to him, get his attention. NOT keep running. I almost always ran with dog treats in my pockets for just this purpose.
  • emhill21
    emhill21 Posts: 126 Member
    Thanks for all of the input, I will continue to research my options of chest clip vs not a harness. I have an 83lb Rhodesian Ridgeback who responds well when I can catch him and get his attention if I see the squirrel first, but unlike him, I am on the look out for all of my surroundings, not just the squirrels ha
    I might try running with treats tomorrow and see how that goes
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Thanks for all of the input, I will continue to research my options of chest clip vs not a harness. I have an 83lb Rhodesian Ridgeback who responds well when I can catch him and get his attention if I see the squirrel first, but unlike him, I am on the look out for all of my surroundings, not just the squirrels ha
    I might try running with treats tomorrow and see how that goes

Running with treats will work if you are consistent with it not just when running, but also when taking him on his daily walk. Use it to get his attention. Use the walk for the training. During the run, anything you teach on the walk will transfer over.
  • reeshacurtis
    reeshacurtis Posts: 4 Member
    I've been running with my various dogs (Pointers, labs, and other bird dogs) for over 15 years. I've always run with a dog and always via the same method: get a "No Pull" harness. Trust me!!!! I appreciate what others have said about harnesses, but a "No Pull" harness is different. Other harnesses allow your dog to drag you around like a sled because they're intended to disperse weight over a large area of the dog's body. A "no pull" harness tightens under the dog's "armpits" when pulled. It allows you to maintain control without the stress on your dog's neck.

Once you've been running for even a short while, the dog will likely learn your pace so that you can keep the leash relatively slack MOST of the time. If they speed up or get to the end of the leash (and are nearly pulling) you can give the leash a quick snap/tug, then let it slack again. It teaches your dog how far he/she can be without the leash tug. I use a simple short voice command (always in the same tone) when giving the tug (Hey! or something like that). Consistency is key! I swear by the "No Pull" harness for running with my dogs and I will never do it any other way. When my (crazy) pointer sees the harness he knows exactly what's going on and he waits patiently while I slip his feet in the harness. :) May you enjoy many years of running companionship!
  • giggles1973
    giggles1973 Posts: 143 Member
    Bump 4 later
  • I use the easy walk harness from Premier for my weim and it seems to work pretty well, but I just started looking for another option that clips at the top of his back. I found this one recently
    http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1771
    Happy running!