Tell me about FitBit!

Options

Replies

• mocoworm
    mocoworm Posts: 31
    Options
    Im curious, does the fitbit track calories burnt in gym sessions automatically or does it just add to the calories you burn through the day? Basically, how does it calculate calories burned?

You set the FitBit into 'Activity Mode' for the duration of any excercise / activity and at the end you stop it. (like a stopwatch), you can then on the website view all your activity periods and overwrite that period with the proper data. (ie: 5k run, 450 Kcals).

If you are synced to MyFitnessPal you can just add your excercise in MFP and as long as the times match your activity sessions in FitBit it will automatically overwrite it using the MFP data.
  • mocoworm
    mocoworm Posts: 31
    Options
    Im curious, does the fitbit track calories burnt in gym sessions automatically or does it just add to the calories you burn through the day? Basically, how does it calculate calories burned?

You set the FitBit into 'Activity Mode' for the duration of any excercise / activity and at the end you stop it. (like a stopwatch), you can then on the website view all your activity periods and overwrite that period with the proper data. (ie: 5k run, 450 Kcals).

If you are synced to MyFitnessPal you can just add your excercise in MFP and as long as the times match your activity sessions in FitBit it will automatically overwrite it using the MFP data.

To do this properly, you MUST ALWAYS put the FitBit into activity mode when doing an excercise / activity.

Activity mode is also used to track your sleep. You put it on your wrist, pop it into activity mode and then sleep. When you wake you stop activity mode and next time you look on the site you will see all your sleep data. It must have an algorithm that says if in activity mode and no movement, this is sleep.
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    ^ Thanks for that ... I have just gone ahead and purchased it!! So excited!
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have have mine for 1 full day and like it so far. I was shocked to find I do so many stairs a day ( 37) normal.
  • BackToPreBaby
    Options
    I've been holding back with purchasing this! I was worried it wouldnt sync to MFP! I see from your cmments it will definitely work!

Now I have to get my behind in gear to order!
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just found out last night that Fitbit is now available for purchase at my local Best Buy - so I'm gonna go get it today on my lunch as my birthday gift to myself. I had originally ordered it back in 2010 when they were on the Today Show, and their backlog on orders at that time was 5 months. I waited for 3 and ended up canceling my order when the delivery date was pushed out even further. Back then, it didn't have the bluetooth feature or the incline sensor....

I'm so excited! Can't wait to get it!!!
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering this now as my payday treat. I have a Polar HRM but this sounds much better.
  • Ro0kins_Wedding
    Options
    I want one!
  • violetness
    violetness Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I just got a MediaFit, which is much like the FitBit - and I got it on a groupon sale for $95 instead fo the $180 it normally goes for. I am really liking this thing so far, and cannot wait to get like a good solid week's worth of data to really see how I am doing. So far, I am surprised though, at the amount of calories I have burned, the steps I have taken, and how LITTLE sleep I really get.
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just got mine and am having trouble getting everything synced for the day? Has anyone else experienced this? The steps, inclines, miles and sleep just don't seem to be registering. Any idea what I need to do to get the benefit from this device? I really want to start using it to maximize my efforts!
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    6 Months. LOve it. Had a bodybugg before and prefer fb. and i have a classic. :)
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I am seriously considering this now as my payday treat. I have a Polar HRM but this sounds much better.
    Id use it with the polar. use the hrm for serious activity, like classes or runs, and you can input that burn which would probably be more accurate fort he type of activity. :)
  • timmomo
    timmomo Posts: 35
    Options
    It is awesome, I just got mine too. I like what I see so far...

What I like:

It holds a charge 10 days.

Due to the open API, it links over to 10 healthy web sites.

It's fairly accurate.

FitBit dot com is free. (unlike others)

It really makes you want to climb more stairs and take more steps.

It uploads and updates when you are within 15ft of your computer.

It shows your activity level throughout the day.

Displays info by the hour, graphs, pie charts.

Gets you of your a**!.

What HE said. Here, here! I've had mine just over a month, and the honeymoon is still goin'. It's so discreet, yet powerful...I'm a nerd for a living,so I'm sedentary. SINCE I'm a nerd for a living, the tech-health aspect really keeps me involved.
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Love my fitbit Ultra. Had it a few weeks. Spend the money if you have it.

When I am doing cartwheels down the stairs, it keeps track. When I am hiding in the ceiling like the ninja monkey of fitness, it knows.....

But seriously, it is a great tool to help get a grip on what you are actually doing.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    Id use it with the polar. use the hrm for serious activity, like classes or runs, and you can input that burn which would probably be more accurate fort he type of activity. :)

Ooh golly. sounds like a lot of faffing about then. Hmmm.
  • masom777
    masom777 Posts: 1
    Options
    So I have had a fitbit for about 3 weeks. Here's a few things I've found:

It sync's with myfitnesspal but mfp only records a percentage of the calories. I've found it to be 1/3.

You have to have a computer with an internet connection to plug the charging/data dock into.

You have to hold the button down to get to the stop watch. (That's also how you track your sleep.)

I recommend putting a label with your name and phone number on the back of it, i already lost mine going up a flight of stairs, but I found it. Usually it stays clipped on really good but I had it in my pocket that day. It made me think to put a label on because people might not know what it is if they find it.

(if you buy it from bestbuy the insurance plan is not worth it.... doesn't cover loss).

it really keeps me motivated to stick to my goals, I had no idea how much walking I do at work.

It's really fun!!!!
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have one... I LOVE IT! I can't say enough about it. It makes you walk farther to try to meet your "quota" for the day. It tells you steps, calories burned throughout the day, activity level, distance traveled & sleep patterns (it doesn't actually tell you when you wake up, it tells you how many major movements you have throughout a sleep). I have the classic, but the ultra counts flights of stairs too! They both sync with MFP (After I figured that out.. I was sold). I saw someone mention there was one for sale on eBay.. that's where I got mine. It works. It was new (very minimally used), it came with the box & all... $60. I think they are awesome tools to have in conjunction with MFP. They need each other!.. LOL! MFP has way more foods, meals & restaurants.. while FB has the activity part of it. You don't even have to log exercise into MFP when you use the FB. You can get within 10 feet of the FB base station & it's transferred automatically to the FB website, then to MFP website too (after I refresh the page)! I only charge mine once a week & it can hold up to 7 days of information. I like the size. It's small (maybe about the size of my thumb.. a little smaller). Awesome tool to have if you're planning on sticking with MFP. Also, beware of some of the other "devices" that track your health. A lot of times the websites you need to use them cost money, FB doesn't. It's free.

You log food into MFP & exercise in to FB.
  • Smuterella
    Options
    so - for clarity - it automatically logs calories burned and that feeds to MFP - what about food - can I still log that on MFP?
  • AussieGem
    AussieGem Posts: 96 Member
    Options

I have just bought a fitbit earlier today and I was wondering this same exact thing. Would I be better off buying an FT7 as well to use for my workouts? Its just that I read that the fitbit may be damaged through very sweaty exercises. Would the HRM give a better indication of calories burned in sessions? Thoughts...