What your workout fuel?

Options
So, for years I've used my schedule as an excuse to skip working out, but I've finally figured out what really works and that is an early morning workout (1.5 hrs @ 5am) 2x/week and a lunchtime workout (1 hr) 3x/week (and sneaking in all the activity I can over the weekend).

I cannot exercise without a little something in my belly, so am wondering: what is everyone's favorite pre-workout snack/meal, and how does it vary between morning and mid-day exercise? And how does it vary depending on what you're doing (cardio vs. weight training)?

Just looking for some new ideas, TIA for the input! :smile:

Replies

• dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I like to have a sliced banana with a little bit of greek plain yogurt and a quarter cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal about an hour before I run after work. If I miss my pre-run snack, I can really feel it, and it feels like crap!
  • jlauren6
    jlauren6 Posts: 209
    Options
    I either have a banana, or a light rye wasa cracker with a tbs low fat peanut butter. YUM!
  • nancyat48
    nancyat48 Posts: 11
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast, wiath a cup of tea or can of V-8 juice. Then if I'm hungry after the workout, I'll have a cheese stick or a Leanperfect bar.
    Now please tell me how you get yourself up in the morning to workout at 5:00?! I've tried but have NEVER succeeded. It feels sooo good to sleep. When do you go to bed?
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Options
    2 scrambled eggs and a slice of whole wheat toast, wiath a cup of tea or can of V-8 juice. Then if I'm hungry after the workout, I'll have a cheese stick or a Leanperfect bar.
    Now please tell me how you get yourself up in the morning to workout at 5:00?! I've tried but have NEVER succeeded. It feels sooo good to sleep. When do you go to bed?

Your breakfast sounds fabulous. Do you eat two eggs everytime you workout?

With the exercise I choose to do (YMCA workout) I actually have to get up at 4am, and believe me it does NOT come naturally. Doing it only twice a week helps, I can usually persuade myself out of bed for those two days only, esp. since I have to sacrifice my lunch hour to workout the other three days, and I'm not giving myself any slack these days. If I miss the morning workout, I go at lunch.

By the time I'm dressed and ready to go out the door, I'm awake enough to be excited, I do love my workouts. :heart: The key has been to do it enough times to make it auto-pilot.

Oh, and it only works if I get to bed before 9:00. I always aim for 8pm those two nights a week, but it usually ends up 8:30-8:45 (hubby takes care of getting kiddo to bed those two nights). 9 seems to be the magical cutoff; If I get to bed any later than that, I'm just too exhausted to do it.

A lot of words to say, it's a balancing act for sure! :laugh:
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    1 hour cardio day- 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal w/ 1 scoop of strawberry protien powder and 1/2 a banana

1 hour cardio & weights- 1 1/4 cup Oatmeal w/ 1 scoop strawberry protien powder, 1 small apple and a glass of milk.

You wont be hungry when your done. I fit this in in the morning and have a 150 calorie lean protien snack when Im done at the gym. Usually spacing about 3 hours or so between snacks and meals.