running

Options
I am starting to run again...but my problem I am noticing is, when I run on the treadmill, I obviously can keep a pretty good pace because I can set it. But on nice days, I prefer to run outside, but when I do, my pace is all over the place. I get really tired and out of breath quickly, and then feel like giving up...much sooner than if I am running on the treadmill. I am running a 5k at the end of April, and I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions that work for them with keeping your pace while running outside.

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I have the opposite issue. On the treadmill I get bored, and I have a hard time finding my comfortable pace. Outside I will adjust to a comfortable pace which varies daily based on how tired I am, morning vs evening, general health, general stress level, allergies and asthma, etc. I just kind of listen to my body and settle into a comfortable pace for the day. If I know it's a long run I'll pay attention and make sure I slow it down a bit, or if it's a short run I may push myself more. I run so much longer and further outside.

Do you have a GPS watch type device so you can see your pace while you are running? If not, it may help you monitor how you are doing and let you adjust your pace.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    It is harder to run outside. A treadmill is softer. A treadmill propels you. A treadmill has 0 incline.

Do you use a running watch? Garmin, Timex, Runkeeper etc? You can use those tools to keep your pace under control.

If you don't, then when you run, slow your pace down if you get too tired. If you are still having a hard time, go slower again.

It is so much better to run outside. Especially at this time of year. Don't give up on it. You will get used to it.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think using a heart rate monitor is a good way to pace yourself. With it, you can keep to a constant effort rather than a constant pace.
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually watch tv on the treadmill...its the only time of day I watch tv, so I tend to focus on that instead of the fact that I am running. I do have the Nike+ app on my phone which does the GPS and pace, but it doesnt always seem like the pace is that accurate when I look at it. I more use it for knowing the distance and time I am going. I am not a huge fan of running to music either because it changes my pace. I just need to find a good rhythm when I start I guess.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I realized what I think it is. 5.5mph on the treadmill feels much faster than when I'm running it outside (I have a garmin that tells how fast I'm going). So when I'm running outside I start off running too fast without knowing it because it feels sooooooooooooo slow compared to when I'm on the treadmill. So I really have to pay attention to make sure I'm running what seems like very slow, otherwise I end up tiring out and having to take walk breaks because I can't maintain the faster speed I was going.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lots of runners, especially when first starting out, have a problem trying to find a natural pace - I know I used to try and run way too fast and ended out of breath, exhausted and frustrated.

If you don't have a heart rate monitor try pacing yourself by counting your footfalls , 4 as you breathe in and 4 as you breathe out, keep your breathing relaxed. If you find yourself starting to breathe more rapidly slow yourself down a bit, it may be counter intuitive but running slowly takes practice.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It is harder to run outside. A treadmill is softer. A treadmill propels you. A treadmill has 0 incline.

Do you use a running watch? Garmin, Timex, Runkeeper etc? You can use those tools to keep your pace under control.

If you don't, then when you run, slow your pace down if you get too tired. If you are still having a hard time, go slower again.

It is so much better to run outside. Especially at this time of year. Don't give up on it. You will get used to it.

That's interesting that you think it's harder to run outside and the treadmill propels you. I find the fact the the treadmill provides no visual stimulus of movement that it's more difficult because I'm not being propelled anywhere but have to remain stationary.

I would say slow down. I like the App Pod Runner, because it's tempo music. The other thing you can try is a metronome, set it at X steps per minute. Not sure your pace, mine is at 90, which is a fast turn over and a shorter stride.
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    [
    That's interesting that you think it's harder to run outside and the treadmill propels you. I find the fact the the treadmill provides no visual stimulus of movement that it's more difficult because I'm not being propelled anywhere but have to remain stationary. ]

I think they were refering to the physical aspect of running outside vs running on a treadmill not the mental , becuase i completely agree that running on a treadmill sucks the life out of you mentally,

but in response to the post , it takes time to develop a mental clock and pace . as you run more you will learn how your body feels at certain speeds and therefore you can better judge your pace, as my season progresses i can tell you exaclty how fast i will finish a given distance without looking at a watch because its just repetition and a rhythm that you can pick up on

happy running!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    All good posts above. I would also say slow it up a little, and you can use Nike+ or Runkeeper, or whatever app (I prefer my Garmin Forerunner first, then Runkeeper) to pace yourself. The runkeeper app will call out audio cues to you as well on intervals that you choose (1/2 mile, 2 minutes, whatever).

I do not like running with music ever, so I tend to focus on my actual running. On the TM, I get bored quickly, so I resort to intervals or watching TV (sort of).

You did not mention the distances that you were running. There was another thread somewhere on MFP regarding the toughest part of people's runs - and more often than not, people indicated it is the first part of the run (i.e., first 10 minutes, first 3 miles, etc). I found that my first 2-3 miles is out of rhythm, and my heart rate is adjusting. By mile 3-4 or 5, I am steady. I have really tried to focus on starting slower and easing into a stride, then even negative splitting. Maybe just getting through those first couple of miles will allow you to find the proper stride.

For your 5K coming up, pacing is important. Most runners (and I am as guilty as they come) start off the first mile way too fast and have no juice left for mile 2 or 3. When you train for your 5K, focus on knocking out some miles first for endurance (running more than the 3.1 will condition your body to think 3.1 is somewhat easier), then work on pacing either evenly or with whatever strategy works best for you. Finally, work on speed so that you can burst when needed, and sprint at the finish.
  • JScarbo
    JScarbo Posts: 30
    Options
    I am starting to run again...but my problem I am noticing is, when I run on the treadmill, I obviously can keep a pretty good pace because I can set it. But on nice days, I prefer to run outside, but when I do, my pace is all over the place. I get really tired and out of breath quickly, and then feel like giving up...much sooner than if I am running on the treadmill. I am running a 5k at the end of April, and I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions that work for them with keeping your pace while running outside.

Don't give up on running outside, same thing happens to me. It is not necessary to maintain a constant speed, in fact you may find that if you increase you pace to a discomfort level, maintain and then back off, eventually your overall pace will be faster. If you fight through the pain/discomfort, you will be amazed how much better you will feel running. You will notice that you increase you speed on the treadmill as well. GOOD LUCK
  • PrincessNariko
    Options
    I always run harder and faster when i run outside. I need to slow down and find the right rythm. Hang in there and give yourself sone time and you'll get there.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think using a heart rate monitor is a good way to pace yourself. With it, you can keep to a constant effort rather than a constant pace.

I do this on my long runs. I think you will find that using your HR will help you dial in your pace for longer runs, which you can in turn use to measure where you need to be for different degrees of pace training.

Plus, you can use the McMillan Running Calculator to help dial in your optimal training paces: http://mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/site/calculator
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Run more outside. Developing a sense of effort and pace while running comes with experience.
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I also tend to start off to fast and my HR raises to quickly. I keep an eye on my HRM and my breathing the first mile or so. Once I got that down I seem to find my smooth groove. The more I do it, the easier it becomes. Good luck!
  • AshleyTaylor2017
    AshleyTaylor2017 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I am not very far into running. I can only run about half a mile straight at this point, and am just trying to push myself a little further every time I go. I try to go for 2 miles total at this point, and just take quick breaks when needed. I like to run outside rather than inside, but my pace is killing me lol. Its amazing how fast you end up running when outside and you don't even realize it. I was running at a 8:30 pace the other day and tired out within a minute or two. I didn't feel like I was going very fast, and I try really hard not to look at the app to see how many minutes or how far Ive gone, because Im afraid if I look I'll decide to quit when its not as long or as far as I thought. I'll try working on listening to my feet and breathing. Breathing is another killer for me, and I'm hoping it will come with time.

I have heard other runners talk about how the first couple miles are the hardest...so I am hoping once I build up to running 3-4 miles, nothing is going to stop me and ill be able to feel more comfortable. I'm still working on liking running at this point :)
  • jacthegirl
    jacthegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I found the first time I run a path or route outside my pace is slower, but after I see the sights and know the area, I get into a good pace.

Also, I understand if you're trying to hit a certain target, but don't forget running CAN be fun. Forget about everything (targets, calories, paces) and slow down on a pretty street and speed up down a park hill, I find if I'm always looking at my running apps, I don't appreciate what's around me, and dwell on my lack of improvement. When I stop looking, that's when I naturally speed up ( over time yes, but still)!

Anyway, don't think too much, just run!
  • jacthegirl
    jacthegirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. I am not very far into running. I can only run about half a mile straight at this point, and am just trying to push myself a little further every time I go. I try to go for 2 miles total at this point, and just take quick breaks when needed. I like to run outside rather than inside, but my pace is killing me lol. Its amazing how fast you end up running when outside and you don't even realize it. I was running at a 8:30 pace the other day and tired out within a minute or two. I didn't feel like I was going very fast, and I try really hard not to look at the app to see how many minutes or how far Ive gone, because Im afraid if I look I'll decide to quit when its not as long or as far as I thought. I'll try working on listening to my feet and breathing. Breathing is another killer for me, and I'm hoping it will come with time.

I have heard other runners talk about how the first couple miles are the hardest...so I am hoping once I build up to running 3-4 miles, nothing is going to stop me and ill be able to feel more comfortable. I'm still working on liking running at this point :)

I'm a naturally fit person, but couldn't run worth 2 bits when I started! I swam with ease but running more than a kilometer killed me! My coach in high-school said just start by running/jogging 20 minutes without stopping. It doesn't have to be fast, it could be a slight bit faster than a walk, but make it 20 minutes and you'll be on your way.

After that I just started running one day to clear my head, and didn't stop. This was 10 years ago when they're weren't any apps, and actually it was really nice just getting lost in thought. I didn't like running long distances at all, and yes the first few kilometers (miles) even now kill me if I'm not in the right mood, but as soon as I'm past them it's the most freeing thing in the word. I now run marathons, and I am looking into ultra-marathons.

My mother said something one day when I was talking about running, she said "I could never do a marathon". That's a lie, any of us could. It's nothing to do with physical make up, it's all mental. We all have the tools to run. Really! Any person big or small, old or young. Our bodies are made for running! So don't let those first couple of miles stop you, and get lost out there! Breath in that air! It's not going to be glorious all the time, even after you get better, but when you're finished there will always be a sense of accomplishment!

Also I definitely recommend the book "Born to Run" it's about a non-runner turned Ultra-marathoner. Have fun running!
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I find it's a lot easier to keep a normal pace and regulate breathing when I'm not wearing headphones.

When you are outside your intensity will vary more but eventually your body will adjust accordingly.
  • sooty1munchkin
    Options
    I've found that music selection can play a big part in helping me set a good pace and rhythm.
    Depending on what you like, if you make a play list with music that has a similar tempo it can help you keep in the zone. Also find I can run further listening to music especially if it's a song you really like
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I used to run exclusively on the treadmill. I always ran at a 1.5 minimum incline, just because. The very first time ran outside I suddenly found myself barely able to keep up with myself im almost no time at all. I walked a bit and started back up. Same problem.

Pulled my phone out of my pocket while I was running and checked my RunKeeper app I had going.

I normally ran at around a 10min per mile pace on the treadmill. And I was running at 7min per mile pacing! o_O So I walked until I caught my breath and then, using the app, found my pace. After that it was pretty easy to fall into the right pace when outside.

Now that I've run outside more and more, I find that I hate the treadmill. I love that when I'm outside I can just naturally, unconsciously, adjust my speed up and down as I need to to keep running. But since everything has to be dialed in and adjusted with thought on the treadmill, I find myself constantly trying to equalize myself.

Once I got through the initial pacing issue, I feel pretty naturally into running outside and try to do it instead of the treadmill as much as possible now.