Protien

Options
j_g4ever
j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
I have a question..... I have really been watching my fiber and have been doing great with that. I was talking to someone about how I don't eat much meat and they asked me what I do for protien. I told them that I eat peanut butter and peanuts and I do drink a lot of milk. They said something about eating 100grams of protien a day. I was wondering if I should keep track of this more?? How much I should be getting?? and Does this help with weight loss??

Thank you in advance for advice. :drinker:

j_g

Replies

• Mmarcos
    Mmarcos Posts: 31
    Options
    Including protein with your meals will help keep you satisfied longer. How much you need varies from person to person, you will want more protein if your lifting weights or doing hard workouts, as it helps with recovery and muscle maintenance, muscle is very important for fat loss- the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. One general rule that many people use is to take in 1g of protein for every lb of body weight. I would try at least to get any where between 0.7 - 1 gram x your body weight in lbs.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    also under the settings of you food diary you can add protein as being one of the things it monitors so you can be sure that you are getting your daily amount!
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    Including protein with your meals will help keep you satisfied longer. How much you need varies from person to person, you will want more protein if your lifting weights or doing hard workouts, as it helps with recovery and muscle maintenance, muscle is very important for fat loss- the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn. One general rule that many people use is to take in 1g of protein for every lb of body weight. I would try at least to get any where between 0.7 - 1 gram x your body weight in lbs.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm

This is misquoted. 0.8-1.0 gm is not per POUND, but per KILOGRAM. One:one per pound is excessive and could cause health problems over time. The calculation is more like 0.4-0.6 grams per pound depending on level of activity.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Most experts recommend that your protein intake be somewhere between 15% and 30%.

The MFP default is 15%.
  • Mmarcos
    Options
    Not misquoted actually, though what I should have said was 'many weightlifters' go by the rule of 1g per lb for women and 1-2g per pound for men. It is not an excessive amount, high protein diets are effective for fat loss and are in fact healthy. Personally I eat over my weight in grams of protein following a cutting diet of 40p/35c/25f.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Options
    Not misquoted actually, though what I should have said was 'many weightlifters' go by the rule of 1g per lb for women and 1-2g per pound for men. It is not an excessive amount, high protein diets are effective for fat loss and are in fact healthy. Personally I eat over my weight in grams of protein following a cutting diet of 40p/35c/25f.

Sorry, I was just reading the article you referenced and it says on page two 0.8/1.8g per kg and I thought you may have mistyped it....(my mistake wasn't trying to put words in your, um, keyboard?) I'm no doctor, just checking the reference.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    You can add protein to the view you see when you are logging your food to see where you are and maybe where you should be....I have to work on the other stuff - protein is a gimmee-I am a meat and taters kinda gal!
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    Ok here is another question then besides protein shakes, milk and meat how can i get more protein in?? I really don't eat a lot of meat. Im not a vegatarion(sp) however pretty dang close.
  • Hermit4Hire
    Options
    eggs, yogurt, seeds, peanut butter, nuts, beans, cheese
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Beef Roast
    Buffalo
    Cheese
    Chicken
    Clams
    Cornish game hen
    crab
    duck
    dried beans, peas, lentils (cooked)
    Egg substitute
    Egg whites
    Fish (fresh or frozen)
    Goose
    Herring
    Hot dog (fat free or low fat)
    Imitation shellfish
    lamb
    lunch meat (fat free or low fat)
    Ostrich
    Oysters
    Parmesan Cheese
    Pheasant (no skin)
    Pork
    Rabbitt
    Salmon Canned or fresh
    Sardines
    Scallops
    Shrimp
    Tuna
    Turkey
    veal
    Venison
    Ricotta cheese
    Sausage (less than 5g fat per serving)
    Kielbasa (considered a high fat protien)
    Peanut Butter (considered a high fat protien)
    Liver (considered a high fat protien)
    Black beans
    Kidney Beans
    Red Beans
    Lentils
    Black Eyed Peas
    Soy Beans
    White beans- Cooked
    Garbonzo beans
    Lima beans
    navy beans
    split peas
    pinto beans
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Losingit are you trying to make me crave the meat because that isn't going to work. :laugh: I just counted my grams and I got 53 grams today. Its a start anyways.
  • Mmarcos
    Options
    Greek yogurt is awesome and has a good amount of protein and don't forget the cottage cheese! Edamame ain't bad either.
  • j_g4ever
    Options
    Greek yogurt is awesome and has a good amount of protein and don't forget the cottage cheese! Edamame ain't bad either.

I did forget the cottage cheese I love that stuff. That is whats going to be on my plate tomorrow for sure. Thanks. :drinker: