Girl Talk - BC help!!

Options
Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been addressed 100's of times, but I am thinking about going on birth control but I'm scared to death of putting on weight because of it! :noway:
My doctor gave me loestrin. What do you girls use and is there anything I should avoid??

Replies

• cnj001
    cnj001 Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm on Levora....put on about 10 pounds since I started taking it in August.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm on Tri-Sprintec & have been for almost a year and a 1/2 and haven't gained a pound from it. It's great -- and it works! :happy:
  • FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Hi,

I used nothing for the past 13 years, as in I'm not getting any action. I do not recommend it :-)
    ha ha Been on my own raising my daughter since I was preggo and before ya know it, the
    years just tick on by. . . . .lordy I need a man. I don't wanna end up the crazy lady down the
    street with all the cats.

~Karen
  • christahollis
    christahollis Posts: 152
    Options
    The birth control weight gain thing, overall, is a myth. Study after study indicates this.
    That said, IF you have a metabolic disorder (like thyroid problems), birth control might have an additive effect on the inability to drop weight.
    Also, different women respond differently to different birth control products, so you might find that you need to try several types to find one that works well with your unique body chemistry.
    Additionally, there's been a link between the perception that birth control causes weight gain and women taking on bad eating habits and blaming the weight gain on the pill. So these women are actually sabotaging themselves and not taking responsibility.

At any rate...even if you believe birth control causes weight gain...it can't be as much as you put on if you have a baby!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    myth is right. Birth control doesn't cause more than a 1-2 lb weight gain, and even that is rare. Don't worry about it.
  • LosingIt4good
    LosingIt4good Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    If your considering taking it to even out your cycles, talk with your doctor about what your options are. BC might not be the only option. There are alot of herbal remedies as well that may help.

You might gain a few pounds in a year taking it, or it may slow your weight loss progress. But if your taking it to avoid pregnancy... reality is that little gain is better than the alternative. Especially considering the average pregnancy is a 25+ lbs gain and another mouth to feed and provide for. :laugh: Those little pounds are a small price to pay if your not ready for children yet and are active.

Then again, you might be one of those lucky girls who doesnt gain anything when using it. Especially if you are really active and eating right.:flowerforyou:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Hi,

I used nothing for the past 13 years, as in I'm not getting any action. I do not recommend it :-)
    ha ha Been on my own raising my daughter since I was preggo and before ya know it, the
    years just tick on by. . . . .lordy I need a man. I don't wanna end up the crazy lady down the

~Karen

Then don't get any cats! Ha ha :laugh:
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm sure this has been addressed 100's of times, but I am thinking about going on birth control but I'm scared to death of putting on weight because of it! :noway:
    My doctor gave me loestrin. What do you girls use and is there anything I should avoid??

Femcon Fe.

Didn't cause weight gain. I did, though :laugh:
  • katemadrigal
    Options
    I use the IUD. Ever since having my first and only child so far, I have not wanted to go back to hormonal methods in case I decide to have a second one.

I absolutely love the IUD and can't say enough good things about it. I don't even know it's there and I never have to remember to take a pill.

I would highly reccommend it to anyone who is looking for an alternative to hormonal birth control.
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    As anyone tried Yaz? My mom really wants to put me on it, but I'm not sure.
    I've got horrible periods, lasting for a month, and then I'll stop for a year, bleed for a few days, stop for a few weeks, then have another one! It's horrible. My mom's tried to get me to use birth control, but I'm not sure about it now.
    Does anyone have a link to a site that can give some concrete info?
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    As anyone tried Yaz? My mom really wants to put me on it, but I'm not sure.
    I've got horrible periods, lasting for a month, and then I'll stop for a year, bleed for a few days, stop for a few weeks, then have another one! It's horrible. My mom's tried to get me to use birth control, but I'm not sure about it now.
    Does anyone have a link to a site that can give some concrete info?

You might want to go on Life Extension. I have been a member for years and they provide really accurate and well documented info on many health related topics. Their website is www.lef.org.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cello, you may find that Yaz has too low of an estrogen level to control your problems but you never know. I have endometriosis and control it (as well as the insane pain it causes) with BC, namely Tri-Sprintec (generic Ortho Tri Cyclen) and I have tried 5 other pills, one of which DID cause weight gain, some of the others just had too low of levels of estrogen and caused painful/excessive periods and one even made my hair fall out in clumps bc of the drastic change in estrogen levels :noway: But of them all if you want to be on one I recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen or the generic Tri Sprintec ($9 at pharmacies).
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Hi,

~Karen

Hey girl! lol then if all else fails... we should live on the same Street! I hear you!:sad: :brokenheart:
  • mtcountrygal
    Options
    I'm on Tri-Sprintec & have been for almost a year and a 1/2 and haven't gained a pound from it. It's great -- and it works! :happy:

I use this as well. Was on Yaz for awhile and saw no relief to my horrible, horrible periods. My periods went from every couple of weeks for 7 long heavy, using a tampon every 45 minutes, to 5 days and normal, if not light flow. Sorry, might be too much info, but I swear by it!!! I am a completely different person with my PMS as well. My employees are very greatful to the BC!! Discuss options as well as fears/concerns with your GYN.
  • skippymik71
    Options
    Ask your Dr. about Ovcon 35,it has one steady dose of hormones, so no ups-downs, as with the other "Tri" pills, I was on the Tri pills for years & after my daughter was born, she gave me the Ovcon, I love it, NO weight gain, no crazy mood swings, one steady dose of hormones. It was also helpful with bad cramping & heavy flow. Hope you got some good help:)m Good Luck
  • BeesBella
    BeesBella Posts: 24
    Options
    Microgynon 30 - Didn't put on weight but it made me really depressed !
    Cilest - Put on a little weight and make me moody
    Cerezette - No weight gain or mood swings !

The Proestrogen Only Pills such as cerezette I have found to be the best with the least side effects !
    Good luck !
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cerazette, no weight gain from the Pill itself, and I've been taking it for several years now, and it seems to work very well. I used to have terrible periods (and the crazy changing hormones made my IBS worse at the same time) with very heavy flow and a lot of pain. I personally love Cerazette because I no longer get any periods at all!!!! :love: However, as I understand it not everyone is this lucky, and it can have the opposite effect with bleeding occuring more often. :cry: My friend tells me it took a good 3 or 4 months to settle down and she had a lot of bleeding during that time. She says its fine now, but she still gets periods, but they're lighter.

Talk to the doc or your nurse, especially if you have any concerns about side effects such as weigh gain or depression.

Erika
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm on loestrin. As with everything there are potential side effects but the risk of weight gain is low. People are often too eager to blame something other than themselves ... I say no more excuses!

I say go for it. I've never had any problem with loestrin. :happy:
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    microgynon 30 - no problems what so ever, weight stayed same

yazmin - omg! i hated it! yes it made me lose weight (the reason i was put on it) but i became so angry for the whole month and had a 3week period, and felt weak the whole time - mostly because they didnt tell me it was a diuretic so i didnt keep my fluid levels up
  • sinisme
    sinisme Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm on Loestrin 24...and i LOVE it.. I don't get a period.. just light spotting when its that TOM... and I havent' gained any weight that i can blame on the BC. It's all me and my addiction to Fast Food! hahah...