And I go to you for help!? Really?

Options
Hi everyone!! I just got home to an email from my Dieticain that really **** me off to be honest! She is ment to be helping me with practical ways to lose weight but from day 1 when she gave me a book from the BHF that I could've got anywhere but this just takes the buscuit!!

Some background;
In July last year I asked for a referal that I finally got in Novemeber. In the mean time I found MFP and started lerning and losing weight.
In Febuary I had my 3 month review and I took with ame a weeks worth of diary (food and excersise) and a load of reports including calories, net calories, calories burned and weight loss.
She said she would email me with some tips and the names of some good vegetable cook books as I feel we don't eat enough veg as a family.
This is what she sent me:

Dear Laura,

I have had a look at your diet history which you kindly provided.
Your diet appears nutritionally balanced, though you could increase your protein intake and reduce your fat intake to meet recommended requirements.

I am glad to report that you have achieved a steady 10% weight loss in the last three months.

There are some irregularity in your eating patterns and you do have days when your intake is in excess of the 1800kcal I would recommend for weight loss. I think you would find it beneficial to focus on regulating your intake so that your calories consumed stay at around 1800kcal per day.

By taking my suggestion to increase your protein and reduce your fat intake you should achieve this easily.

I hope this has been helpful for you. I look forward to seeing you at our final review in three months time.

regards

And this is what Isent back:

Thank you for your email. I am not surprised to see that I need to increase my protein however some information on where I could cut fat would be useful as I am unsure how much or where you are seeing it in my diary. I was also hoping that you could send me the names of some good vegetable cook books so that I can increase my intake a little.

With regards to my calories, the days I eat over 1800 are days when I have worked very hard at the gym or exercising in other ways and so if I didn’t eat above the 1800 you are saying I would not be eating enough calories to fuel my body. If I eat 1800 calories and burn of 900 at the gym then my net intake would only be 900 calories for that day leaving me feeling hungry and sick. I average a net intake of approximately 1400 calories so I am still under the 1800 you recommend. I have also used a calculator to work out my BMR and according to that my body needs 1793 calories to perform its basic functions (I would really struggle to net that with the amount of exercise I do) so you can understand why I do not wish to net to far under the 1400 I try to aim for. The calculator I used uses the Mifflin-St.Jeor equations to estimate BMR.

Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to hearing from you about the points I have made shortly.

Regards

Laura Campbell

Am I right to be annoyed? Bare in mind that I had a minor argument with her when I saw her because I told her that I had lost 2kg of muscle because of all the hard core cardio I had been doing and she didn't believe me! I really had to explain it to her and she got very beligerant untill I said I knew I had because I had been measured at the gym! I also had a long coversation with her about excersise calories and BMR etc!! What do you think?

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you should apply for her job :wink:
  • icemaiden17_uk
    icemaiden17_uk Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Best reply ever!! I feel so much better now!!
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    LOL are you paying this woman?! Because if I was in your shoes I'd cancel that next appointment and find a better dietician! Or just lean on mfp like I've been doing. Slow & steady progress while learning new tricks along the way is working great for me and I haven't spent a dime (except for the gym membership, workout clothes and all the new clothes I have to buy because I'm too skinny for my old ones :bigsmile: )
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Dieticians are great for helping with eating, but not so good with the exercise part of the equation! It's not their job to know. And a lot of the time, when people say they exercise, it means they take a stroll in the park from time to time! She's lumping you in with the people that I'm sure she sees all the time. I think you need to find a better one if you can! I know you may not have that option though!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I do not think I would allow this to get me upset because, well, it simply is not worth your time to allow her non professionalism to effect you. That is just wasted time.

I would suggest that you do not see her anymore and start doing some of your own research on veggie recipes. There are groups on here that will be happy to provide you with the information you are looking for. You can even start a thread asking for some recipes. Here is a site I love: http://www.sproutedkitchen.com/

You can also search blogs and other peoples diary's to see what they are doing and ask them how they did it, simple as that. Please feel free to check out my diary as I typically eat a high protein low saturated fat diet.

Simple fact of the matter is, you can choose to be pissed at her or you can take control and get the information yourself, for free.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,120 Member
    Options
    You can find plenty of vegetarian book recommendations right here. I know there are alot of vegetarians here. You can also use any number of online recipe calculators or resources.

The Food Diary and Exercise log is all you need. Don't waste your money on someone who doesn't fit your needs.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    MFP is somewhat of a unique entity in that it has you set at a low calorie intake but then it rewards you with exercise calories to eat back.

"MOST" places do not use this "net calorie" term, and it doesn't surprise me that your professional isn't looking at net calories. All she is doing is looking at how much food you are eating.

I'm not sure why she would recommend a reduced fat intake, but having said that, I have no idea what your fat intake is at since I can't see your diary.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    Lol! She had a copy of my excersise diary! She knows full well what I do! Thankfully though she is free! Well, on the NHS anyway!! I thought having the acountablility would be good and maybe she could give me some help with my diet (as in what I eat and how) but so far she is rubbish!! She just lectured me on the eat well plate (like I was a moron) and gave me a pre published book!! The thing is I did not get this way by eating take aways and processed foods and lots of it! I hate Macdonalds and havent eaten that type of food for years! I got this way by not excersising and not eating enough! My body stores fat like there is a famine!! I am a really bad eater! In that I don't eat! I am not an idiot! Ridiculus!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are doing just fine on your own, so you might as well stick with MFP and has been working for you and give her the boot.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't see how a dietician is helpful, when you have the means to look up information yourself. I think you should save the money spent on a dietician.

Don't get me wrong, i think there is a use for dieticians (menu planning for schools, hospitals, prisons, etc) where they are coming up with menus to meet the nutritional needs of a general population, but for an individual who has the tools and means to study their own lifestyle, food choices, etc - I don't see the purpose.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I went to two appointments with an NHS dietician and then gave up! Gave her my food and exercise diary and the only suggestion she had was to maybe replace the butter on my morning toast with margarine!

I said I didn't eat Marg because it was high in Transfats. The butter was the only added fat in my diet.

She said nothing about me consuming 4 x 660ml bottles of strong lager a night, (I'm a recovering alcoholic).

I just had to laugh and leave.
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    All fair points! I was new to logging when I finally got to see her and meal planning is what I hoped to get (sort of). I think I will follow the general advice and giver her Das Boot! I can find everything I need on here, recipies, suport, accountability and just looking at fat in general is not helpful! It depends on what type of fat it is! I don't even cook with oil for goodness sake! Lol! Thanks for your input peeps! I feel much better now!
  • icemaiden17_uk
    Options
    I went to two appointments with an NHS dietician and then gave up! Gave her my food and exercise diary and the only suggestion she had was to maybe replace the butter on my morning toast with margarine!

I said I didn't eat Marg because it was high in Transfats. The butter was the only added fat in my diet.

She said nothing about me consuming 4 x 660ml bottles of strong lager a night, (I'm a recovering alcoholic).

Wow! That is major! How crap is that! Mind you they were banging on at me about my extra toppings on my pizza (well within my calories and other macros) and eating full fat philli on my rivita! I said I hate low fat cheese its gross and my young daughter is too young to have reduced fat junk so we don't buy it!! I guess they are just a bit nit picky and rubbish! So glad it isn't just me! :)
  • cuatromommy
    cuatromommy Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hey...if you need a guinea pig while you practice taking over her job, I'd be happy to help you. Just friend me. Ha!

It's unfortunate that she's charging you. I can see why you are annoyed, but the more she leaves you in limbo, the more she has to pay for her Cadillac. It sucks, but it's the way society is these days.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    drop her... you seem to be doing it all by you own...
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Yep!
  • Asavitzk
    Asavitzk Posts: 66
    Options
    My email response wouldn't have been nearly as polite.

As most others have been saying, it sounds like you've learned more on MFP than in your sessions with this other person so just dump her and keep learning on your own and with friends here.

I went through a program co-run by my primary care physician and a nutritionist (not sure if a dietitian is the same or not) and it was wonderful. Group classes, one-on-one counseling, and monthly physicals. I learned a *ton* with that program though it cost me a pretty penny. But you can be sure if I wasn't getting benefit from it I would have quit.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Dude, save your money :) You're on it :)
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options

Yeah, b/c margarine (a processed food) is oh so healthy. *rolling my eyes!*
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you know way more than her. I'd say, stop seeing her, and ask advice from your buddies at the gym instead. :)

ooh ooh ooh, or see a NATURAL health dietician - one who is well-read on the specific science of God-given whole foods. I bet you'd have a better chance with someone practicing natural medicine and with an appreciation for whole foods.